Authentic Spanish Churros
This Authentic Spanish Churros recipe is easy to make with a simple choux pastry recipe. Sprinkled with sugar and served with a delightful light and Creamy Dulce de Leche dip, they make a great carnival themed snack!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 30 churros
pastry bag and tip
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3-4 whole eggs
- 4-6 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
Place boiling water in saucepan; add butter and place over medium heat.
When butter is melted and while mixture is boiling, add flour (all at once).
Stir rapidly until mixture makes a ball that comes away from the sides of the pan. DO NOT OVERCOOK
Immediately remove from heat: add unbeaten eggs, one at a time. Beat each one in thoroughly before adding the next.
Add the 4th egg, only if mixture isn’t smooth enough (I did not need to add a fourth).
It should look like smooth, silky mashed potatoes.
Add vegetable oil to your deep fryer until it's a the right level (there is a line on the inside wall that will show you how deep to fill it). Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees F. * If you are not not using a deep fryer (which I do NOT recommend) please see NOTES
Fill a pastry bag fitted with 1 M tip to 2/3 full.
Pipe an even line, using even pressure, about 5 inches long, onto parchment paper (see video at bottom of recipe).
Gently lift each churro into basket and deep fry about 4-5 at once for about 4 minutes or until golden brown. * do not overlap or put them on top of each other or they will not cook properly.
When done, set on paper towel , then immediately roll in sugar in a large bowl.
*Note: 1M tip
[easyazon_image align="none" height="160" identifier="B00DNV81XQ" locale="US" src="https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41c0QqLET4L._SL160_.jpg" tag="foodmea-20" width="85"]
[easyazon_cta align="none" identifier="B00DNV81XQ" key="small-light" locale="US" tag="foodmea-20"]
***Note: Video: How to fit a tip into a pastry bag and fill it
***Note: Freezing: They can be frozen for up to 3 months ( but you will have to sprinkle them with sugar again, once they are thawed) or stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days, but they are best when they are fresh!
**** Note: NO deep fryer method:
You can use a deep pot to fry the doughnuts in but I don't recommend this. Hot oil can be dangerous. But if you are going to use this method:
- The fat should be deep enough to let the churros come to the top and float free at the bottom.
- Heat the fat in a deep pan, with a flat bottom, to 375 degrees F. *test the temperature by frying a little choux pastry in the oil for a minute.
- Immerse the churros gently into the hot fat, one at a time, using long handled tongs or a slotted spoon that has been greased by being dipped into the hot fat.
- Deep fry until they turn a golden brown - about 3 -4minutes. The churros will rise to the top. Turn and brown the underside.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
Authentic Spanish Churros
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g31%
Vitamin A 210IU4%
Vitamin C 0.1mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 10mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 210IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 7mg | Iron: 0.2mg