Growing up, my Mom always made her own homemade BBQ sauce and that's where this recipe was adapted from.
This easy Bbq Sauce with ketchup is great for anything you need BBQ sauce for, it's quick (it only takes about 5 minutes (if that) to throw together.) Although I generally buy BBQ sauce these days because I need to save time wherever I can, I always make this one if I run out and am in a pinch! And if you don't have all the exact ingredients, don't worry - I have lots of substitutions you're bound to have on hand! It's 1 WW point per 1 tablespoon on the blue plan (see variations to reduce points). This BBQ sauce uses pantry ingredients so it's quick and easy to make and tastes great!
Yeah you guessed it- KETCHUP is the main ingredient in this homemade bbq sauce! You will also need the following ingredients (but if you don't have them, don't worry- there are lots of variations!)
- lemon juice
- brown sugar
- HP sauce
- chili sauce (I use Heinz)
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- use vinegar instead of lemon juice (if you don't have lemon juice) *My Mom actually used vinegar in the original recipe
- skip the chili sauce and use additional ketchup, if you don't have chili sauce on hand
- substitute 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce for HP sauce if you don't have it
- you can use white granulated sugar if you don't have brown sugar
- use sugar-free ketchup to lower the WW points, if you desire
- use minced garlic in a jar, if you don't have fresh or use garlic powder if you have neither
⚖️Scaling the recipe
You can cut this recipe in half or double it, depending on your needs. I make the entire amount and it's more than enough for our family of 4. However, if you want more or less, simply click on the blue servings number, change it to the servings you want and the recipe will automatically adjust accordingly.
You can make this easy barbecue sauce with ketchup a day or two in advance and it can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store it in a plastic reuseable container or glass container.
🌶️ Can this be made spicy?
Add a few dashes (to your liking) of Tabasco sauce to make is spicier!
If you don't have a BBQ or it's either too cold to grill or you don't want to shovel a path to the BBQ, then consider investing in a stovetop grill! They do a great job of grilling meat, in the comfort of your home, give you gorgeous grill marks and are very economical and easy to store! See my Amazon recommendations in Recipe NOTES.
💭My Favorite Ways to use BBQ sauce
- On chicken: Easy Baked Hoisin Chicken Quarter Recipe
- On pork, steak, burgers
- On ribs: Smoky Mesquite BBQ Slow Cooker Beer Ribs
- Meatballs: Slow Cooker Cranberry Turkey Meatballs
If you're looking for an easy homemade bbq sauce you can make with ingredients you already have on hand (like ketchup) then you'll love this one!
📋Easy Barbecue Sauce (with ketchup) recipe
- Mix all ingredients together!