This recipe takes a boring old pancake and morphs it into a delicious and healthy cupcake with a strawberry greek yogurt topping which is, by far, way more FUN! Even better, it’s easy and quick to make.
Although I love these pupcakes, I created this recipe with kids in mind. I wanted it to be both healthy and fun for them. And I’m happy to report it was a success!
If you are looking for something a little different for breakfast or something you can send the kids to school with (or take yourself), then this is the recipe for you. You can pack the yogurt and syrup separately or just skip it all together (it’s great with or without)!
Added bonus: they freeze well.
Happy baking and eating!
Strawberry Gingerbread Pupcakes:
2 cup whole wheat flour
½ box (170 g) of cook and serve butterscotch pudding
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
1 and 2/3 cups milk
2 Tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon butter flavor/extract
2 cups – about a (500 g) container strawberry Greek yogurt
Garnish: 12 fresh strawberries or maraschino cherries and cinnamon sprinkles
*Note: I find the cook and serve butterscotch pudding at Calgary Co-op, but you can order it through Amazon as well. Some other grocery stores also carry it.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all ingredient (except greek yogurt ) together.
- Pour batter 2/3 full into muffin tin lined with paper cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes.Cool.
- Fit pastry bag with 1M tip and fill to ½ full.
- Pipe greek yogurt onto pupcakes . (if you don’t have a pastry bag, cut a hold in the end of zip lock and swirl it on)
- Garnish with strawberry or maraschino cherry and cinnamon sprinkles.
- Serve with low sugar maple syrup.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Bake time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes