A few months back I had a Spicy Perogy Pizza from Boston Pizza and decided I needed to try to replicate it at home. So I ordered another one and dissected it and made a copycat. If you've had BP's Perogy Pizza and loved it as much as I do and want to make it at home, now you can!
This was inspired by the fact that I love perogies! And being Ukrainian, I have made perogies into a number of other dishes: Loaded Pierogi Soup, Perogy Zucchini Boats, Perogy Potato Salad (Award-winning), Easy Pierogi Stuffed Mushrooms, and Pierogi Breakfast Casserole. And since I also LOVE pizza, this was the perfect recipe! This pierogi pizza is ideal for your next game day (you'll want to have it during football season) or Friday night pizza night!
It wasn't hard to figure out what went into Boston Pizza Perogy Pizza:
- Pizza Crust (make your own dough or use store-bought) *see below in variations and substitutions for recipes
- potato *Russet potatoes are the best for this recipe (and making cactus cut potatoes) because they are low moisture and high starch
- Sour Cream
- Crushed red chili pepper (chili flakes)
- Jalapenos (tamed) * I use Mezzetta tamed jalapenos because not everyone on my family likes it really spicy
- Mozzarella Cheese/pizza mozzarella (shredded)
- Sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Bacon Slices *cooked and cut into pieces * I use Costco pre-cooked bacon because it's faster and less messy/less greasy
- Green Onions chopped
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make perogy pizza:
Boston Pizza uses cactus-cut potatoes on their pizza and there are several ways to cook them (boiled, fried, baked, in the air fryer) but making them quickly in the microwave made the most sense to me. Then they finish cooking on the pizza in the oven.
- Make Quick Cactus Cut Potatoes: Peel and slice potatoes into 1/16 of an inch (2mm).
- Place potatoes on a plate and cover in plastic wrap.
- Cook for 3 - 3 ½ minutes on high in the microwave. Carefully remove plastic wrap so it doesn't burn you. Once cooled, cut larger pieces in half.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/205 degrees C. Prepare pizza dough according to instructions or follow your favorite homemade recipe. Add sour cream on to the pizza crust to pizza and as you would sauce, then sprinkle on salt and pepper
- Add sliced potatoes evenly on pizza, then sprinkle crushed chili. Add jalapenos evenly, then add chopped bacon.
- Spread shredded sharp cheddar and mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of the pizza.
⏲️ Baking time
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18 to 23 minutes. or until golden brown on top.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Allow the pizza to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Serve each slice of pizza with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Pizza Crust - You can use store-bought, pita bread, balady bread, bread machine pizza dough, or a 15 Minute quick pizza dough or 2 ingredient pizza dough. You can make your pizza on thin crust or thicker crust, whichever you prefer.
- WW friendly- use WW 2 ingredient pizza dough, turkey bacon, low-fat or fat-free cheddar cheese and sour cream
- Gluten-free - use gluten-free pizza crust
- Lactose-free/Dairy-free- Use lactose free cheese or vegan cheese with my quick pizza dough (it's dairy-free)
- Vegetarian - Skip the bacon!
- Jalapenos - use actual jalapenos and more chili flakes to make this spicier. You could also sprinkle a teaspoon cayenne pepper over the sour cream base, as well as the chili flakes. You could also use more tamed jalapenos or chop them up so they spread more evenly over the pizza.
- Deluxe - add fried onions or caramelized onions as well!
- Bacon - use turkey bacon or bacon bits instead
👪 Serving Size
This Spicy Pierogi Pizza recipe makes 10 servings (slices). However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You will just need additional pizza pans
This recipe is Weight Watchers friendlier using WW 2 ingredient pizza dough, turkey bacon, low-fat or fat-free cheddar cheese, partly skimmed mozzarella and sour cream. You will need to build it in the app to see how many points it is on your plan. I get potatoes (0 points) so it's lower on my plan.
You'll need a (14 inch) large round pizza pan for this recipe. I also like to roll my pizza dough right out onto the pan using this silicone pastry/pizza rolling pin (affiliate link). Then I don't have to worry about transferring it. I also use a perforated pizza pan (affiliate link)-this is the trick to crispy pizza dough! Another way to keep pizza crispy, is to bake it in a cast iron frying pan (affiliate link), as well as a pizza stone.
Store this pizza in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You could also freeze it whole (after it's cooked) or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months
For this homemade perogy pizza, I use pre-cooked bacon from Costco as it's quicker and less mess! You simply heat it up in the microwave for a few minutes, then remove the fat with a paper towel and chop it up!
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
❔ Frequently Asked Questions
Jalapenos and crushed red chili peppers (chili flakes) make perogy pizza spicy.
A perogy pizza has sour cream, bacon, green onions, potatoes, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, jalapenos and chili flakes.
This Pierogi pizza recipe was a huge hit with my family and I hope you enjoy it too!
📋Perogy Pizza Recipe (Boston Pizza Copycat)
- 1 -14 inch pizza crust homemade or bought (see recommendations in post)
- 1 large russet potato washed and sliced thinly 2mm thick (1/16 inch)
- salt and pepper to taste. - 1 teaspoon each
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper (chili flakes)
- ⅔ cup jalapenos tamed
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese/pizza mozzarella grated
- 1 ½ cup sharp/old cheddar cheese grated
- 6-8 bacon slices cooked and cut into pieces
- 3 green onions chopped
- dollop of sour cream for each piece
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/205 degrees C
- Prepare pizza dough according to instructions or follow your favorite homemade recipe.
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/16 of an inch (2mm).
- Place potatoes on a plate and cover in saran wrap
- Cook for 3 - 3 ½ minutes on high. carefully remove saran wrap so it doesn't burn you. Cut larger pieces in half once cooled.
- Add sour cream on to the pizza crust to pizza and as you would sauce, then sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Chop cooled potatoes in half and spread evenly on pizza, then sprinkle crushed chili. Add jalapenos evenly. Add chopped bacon.
- Spread grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese evenly.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 18 to 23 minutes. or until golden bornw on top.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Allow the pizza to sit for about 5 to ten minutes.
- Serve each slice of pizza with a dollop of sour cream and some green onions. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.