If you love pierogies, you are going to LOVE this soup! I have taken all the goodness of loaded perogies and created a creamy and delicious soup from those flavors!
This Loaded Pierogi Soup is surprisingly quick and easy to make. It’s also perfect for lunch or dinner and a great idea for a Father’s Day lunch because it’s hearty enough for a meal. Plus it’s ideal when you’re short on time because it can be made ahead, uses ingredients you already have on hand and can be whipped up in about 35 minutes.
Recipe for Pierogi Soup
Being Ukrainian, I’m just a wee bit perogy crazy. Perogies were pretty much served at every meal at Baba’s so we ate a lot of them. However, now-a-days that’s just not practical. Perogies take a long time to make and the store bought ones just don’t cut it. So… because I’m such a big fan of perogies, I have created a number of pierogi recipes that are also easy to make! You can find those recipes and my other Ukrainian recipes here! This recipe for Pierogi soup is a great way to get your pierogi fix without all the work of making perogies.
And it pairs really well with my Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks!
My kids are both Ukrainian dancers and every year on the first weekend in June we get to enjoy watching them dance at the Calgary Ukrainian festival. But we have actually been going every single year since the very first Ukrainian festival over a decade ago, even years before our kids danced. But sadly, this weekend we won’t be there enjoying the music, dancing and eating fabulous Ukrainian food, due to this global pandemic. So in lieu of that, I wanted to celebrate at home with a Ukrainian meal; this delicious Ukrainian soup was the answer! And if you are looking for more awesome Ukrainian soups try my Shortcut Ukrainian Beet Borscht.
This recipe for pierogi soup is not only easy, it’s quick. It can be made in around 35 minutes using common ingredients you’d have on hand in your pantry, fridge or freezer! And it’s hearty enough for a meal.
PIN this recipe for later!
Loaded Pierogi Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces (not as small as bacon bits- see photo in instructions) * I use pre-cooked bacon because it is faster and sooo much less messy!
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/4 cups sharp/old cheddar cheese, grated
- additional chopped bacon
- fresh dill
- additional grated cheddar cheese, if desired
- sour cream, if desired
- In large saucepan, melt butter and saute onion.
- Add potatoes, cabbage, celery seed and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in microwave (if using pre-cooked) or on stove top. Remove as much grease as possible by patting with a paper towel and chop. Set aside.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and add to food processor.
- Combine removed vegetables with flour, milk and sour cream in food processor or blender.Puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return puree to soup. Then add cheese and bacon and reheat. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Garnish with bacon bits, dill and if desired, bits of grated cheese and/or sour cream (optional)
More Pierogi Recipes
This post is part of The Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck!