Sometimes I like to make summer food even when it's not summer. I guess if I'm eating summer food, I can pretend it's summer for a short time or at least feel optimistic that summer will actually be here again one day. This Award-Winning Pierogi Potato Salad is perfect for summer or any time of year and a simple and unique take on potato salad and seriously the best potato salad!
This pierogi salad was inspired by my Healthy Potato Salad and is the perfect side dish for summer. If you are looking for Ukrainian Salad or potluck ideas and love perogies, you will love this gluten-free Ukrainian Potato Salad recipe!
With bacon, cheese, sauerkraut, potato, and onion, this cold pierogi salad is like a loaded pierogi but in potato salad form! It's easy to make and oh-so delicious! You can make it for a potluck, a summer BBQ or even when you are camping/glamping in the summer! It is a bacon egg potato salad that transports well and requires very little space to prepare.
For this delicious potato salad recipe, you will need:
- little/baby potatoes (rainbow pack – includes red, yellow, white, purple and blue potatoes)
- dry curd cottage cheese (see NOTES)
- bacon bits
- green onions
- Dijon mustard
And if you LOVE that loaded pierogi flavor, give my Loaded Pierogi Soup a try too!
👩🏻🍳Award-winning Potato Salad
This recipe won 2nd place in the Go RV'ing: Canada's RV Friendly recipe contest.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Onions- you can use red onion, sweet onion or white onion instead of green onion. Or add carmelized onions. You could also substitute fresh chives.
- Potatoes -you can use regular medium potatoes cut into small cubes, instead of baby potatoes
- Bacon - you can use real bacon instead of bacon bits
- Mustard - if you don't have Dijon mustard, use regular mustard
- Mayonnaise - use low-fat mayonnaise to lighten it up!
- Add-ins - add in red bell pepper, if desired
This Pierogi Salad is an easy side dish that pairs well with kubassa or a cabbage rolls recipe. These are my favorite recipes to serve this pierogi picnic salad recipe with:
Store pierogi salad leftovers in the fridge, in a sealed container for up to 2 days. If you want to make this recipe in advance, do not recommend making it more than a couple of days in advance. It does not stand up well to freezing.
👪 Serving Size
This pierogie potato salad serves 10. However, you can half, double or even triple the recipe by clicking on the blue servings number in the recipe card. Then select the number of servings you would like and the ingredient amounts will adjust accordingly.
For this Ukrainian perogy salad, you will need a large pot to boil potatoes a medium-sized pot for eggs, a large mixing bowl, and a serving bowl (affiliate link). I like the one I linked to because it comes with a lid and utensils and you can bring it along to a potluck!
Store this leftover Ukrainian Potato Salad in an airtight container for up to 2 days. This recipe does not stand up to freezing.
💭 What to do with leftover dry cottage cheese
Perogy potato salad is also a great use of leftover dry cottage cheese! I often buy dry cottage cheese to make Cottage Cheese and Potato Perogies and end up with leftovers. And if you buy it specifically for this recipe and have leftovers, then you can use it in these Perogy Zucchini Boats, Ukrainian Slow Cooker Casserole , Ukrainian Breakfast Sandwich or this Ukrainian Breakfast Hash as well!
Here are a couple of BBQ dishes that go great with this Ukrainian Potato salad!
and for dessert....
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
I adore tasty summer food that requires very little effort because well, life is short and so is summer. You can prep this pierogi salad in the evening when it's a bit cooler (no oven required, just stove top) then throw it together quickly the next day and you're off to enjoy your sunny summer festivities!
But this potato salad really makes a delicious side dish any time of the year. If you are looking for Ukrainian recipes, cold salads, a unique potato salad recipe, pierogi food, or pierogi ideas, look no further - this salad in next level. And this Ukrainian twist on this classic comfort food (good old-fashioned potato salad) is a real crowd-pleaser and one the whole family will love!
⭐ COMMENTS & REVIEWS
Did you know that commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite recipe creators? If you loved this recipe, please comment and rate it in the recipe card or share photos on social media using the hashtag #foodmeanderings or tagging @foodmeanderings !
📋Pierogi Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 (2 pound or .9 kg) pkgs of little/baby potatoes (rainbow pack – includes red, yellow, white, purple and blue potatoes ¾ ” – 1 ⅝ ”)
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon dry curd cottage cheese farmer cheese
- ⅔ cup bacon bits (best to use the ‘real’ bacon bits)
- ¾ cup sauerkraut(from jar)
- 2 tablespoon liquid from sauerkraut jar
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman’s)
- ½ cup radishes, finely chopped
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- paprika to garnish
- fresh dill and sour cream (optional)
- Place potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium-high heat and continue to cook until fork goes easily into them but they are still firm (about 15 minutes).
- Drain, cool and refrigerate potatoes until cold (up to an hour).
- Cook eggs in boiling water until hard boiled (about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove eggs from heat and run under cold water, let sit in cold water for 10 minutes, then refrigerate (still in cold water) until cold (up to an hour) and then peel.
- Cut each cold potato into 2 pieces (* this will depend on the size of the potato, I cut some into 4 pieces and don't even cut the really small ones). Cut each egg into 4 pieces.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and eggs and mix until combined.
- Sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Optional: top will a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill when serving
- Add salt and black pepper to taste