Sometimes I like to make summer food when it's not summer. I guess if I'm eating summer food, I can pretend it's summer for a short time or at least feel optimistic that summer will actually be here again one day.
This Pierogi Potato Salad is a simple and unique take on potato salad. If you are looking for potluck ideas and love perogies, you will love this gluten-free Perogy Potato Salad recipe!
With bacon, cheese, sauerkraut, potato and onion, this cold pierogi salad is like a loaded pierogi but in potato salad form! It's easy to make and oh so delicious! You can make it for a potluck, a summer BBQ or even when you are camping/glamping in the summer! It is an easy potato salad that transports well and requires very little space to prepare. For this recipe, you will need:
- little/baby potatoes (rainbow pack – includes red, yellow, white, purple and blue potatoes)
- dry curd cottage cheese (see NOTES)
- bacon bits
- green onions
- Dijon mustard
👩🏻🍳Award-winning Potato Salad
This recipe won 2nd place in the Go RV'ing: Canada's RV Friendly recipe contest in 2013.
💭 What to do with leftover dry cottage cheese
Perogy potato salad is also a great use of leftover dry cottage cheese! I often buy dry cottage cheese to make Cottage Cheese and Potato Perogies and end up with leftovers. And if you buy it specifically for this recipe and have leftovers, then you can use it in these Perogy Zucchini Boats, Ukrainian Slow Cooker Casserole , Ukrainian Breakfast Sandwich or this Ukrainian Breakfast Hash as well!
I adore tasty summer food that requires very little effort because well, life is short and so is summer. You can prep this pierogi salad in the evening when it's a bit cooler (no oven required, just stove top) then throw it together quickly the next day and you're off to enjoy your sunny summer festivities!
But it really makes a great dish anytime of the year. If you are looking for a unique potato salad recipe, pierogi food, or pierogi ideas, look no further! This Ukrainian twist on good old fashioned potato salad is a real crowd pleaser!
Here are a couple of BBQ dishes that go great with this salad!
and for dessert....
📋Pierogi Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 (2 pound or .9 kg) pkgs of little/baby potatoes (rainbow pack – includes red, yellow, white, purple and blue potatoes ¾ ” – 1 ⅝ ”)
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon dry curd cottage cheese (90 ml)
- ⅔ cup bacon bits (best to use the ‘real’ bacon bits) (150 ml)
- ¾ cup sauerkraut(from jar) (175 ml)
- 2 tablespoon liquid from sauerkraut jar (30 ml)
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman’s) (150 ml)
- ½ cup radishes, finely chopped (125 ml)
- ½ cup green onions , finely chopped (125 ml)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (15 ml)
- paprika to garnish
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until fork goes easily into them but they are still firm (about 15 minutes).
- Drain, cool and refrigerate potatoes until cold (up to an hour).
- Cook eggs in boiling water until hard boiled (about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove eggs from heat and run under cold water, let sit in cold water for 10 minutes, then refrigerate (still in cold water) until cold (up to an hour) and then peel.
- Cut each cold potato into 2 pieces (* this will depend on the size of the potato, I cut some into 4 pieces and don't even cut the really small ones). Cut each egg into 4 pieces.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together in a bowl. Add the potatoes and eggs and mix.
- Sprinkle with paprika and refrigerate until ready to serve