Potato Salad is the ultimate summer salad! And I don't know about you, but as soon as summer hits, I find myself craving it. Is it even really summer until the potato salad comes out?
Potato Salad really isn't that bad when you're following the Weight Watchers program, as long as you stick to ones that aren't loaded with cheese and fattening mayonnaise. This Healthy Potato Salad is 5 WW points on the blue plan, which is pretty good, considering this one contains mayonnaise and the WW Potato Salad (without mayo) is 3 points! The best part is that you'd never know it's WW friendly!
I'm pretty fussy about potato salad and this one is amazing! I've been making this low fat potato salad my entire life and this is the same potato salad recipe my Mom and my Grandma made. I thought it was time to share it with the rest of the world. Although it's been changed a little over the years by both my Mom and I, the basic, classic potato salad recipe remains. My Mom always used low fat mayonnaise (Hellman's to be precise, because it tastes the best) and I do the same.
This potato salad is healthy because it's basically made with a few wholesome and simple ingredients like potatoes, eggs and vegetables. And using lighter mayonnaise cuts the mayonnaise fat and calories in potato salad by HALF! This is a pretty big deal. And I personally prefer the taste of low-fat mayonnaise to regular mayonnaise. And as far as I'm concerned, potato salad just isn't potato salad unless it has mayonnaise! Eggs are another part of potato salad that are completely non-negotiable. I use a lot of eggs in my salad and it makes it taste great.
💭 Top tip
But if you want your potato salad to look pretty, you need to make sure you don't overcook the eggs so you don't get that unattractive dark ring around the yolk (see NOTES in recipe below). This can also be avoided by running cold water over the just-cooked eggs until they are completely cooled. Then refrigerate the eggs in their shells until you're ready to use them. Hard-cooked eggs in the shell can be refrigerated up to one week. You can read more about that HERE.
This healthy potato salad is easy to make and goes great with just about any meal. And you can easily pack it along for a picnic or bring it along to a potluck, family gathering or backyard BBQ. It's also ideal for making ahead, which is what I usually do.
If you're looking for a great summer grilled main dish to go with your potato salad, try my Marinated Grilled Maple Lemon Pork @ 5 WW points on the blue plan!
So boil up some potatoes and eggs and make this Healthy Potato Salad for your next summer meal!
📋 Healthy Potato Salad Recipe
- 8 large potatoes peeled and diced into approx 1 inch cubes
- 6 large eggs, hard-boiled
- 4 whole green onions, chopped
- 6 whole radishes, chopped
- 3 tablespoon pickle juice *from jar of pickles
- 1 cup mayonnaise * I use Hellman's light
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 radishes
- 2 eggs
- Place the diced potatoes in a large stockpot and add enough water so that the potatoes are covered by at least 2 inches. Cook over medium-high heat until the water reaches a boil. Then reduce heat to medium to maintain the simmer, and continue cooking the potatoes for 5-8 minutes or until the potatoes pierce easily with a fork. Drain through a colander and cool. I chill them in the refrigerator for about 20- 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, hard-boil eggs (see NOTES on hard-boiling eggs) and chill in refrigerator with potatoes.
- When potatoes and eggs are cooled enough to handle, peel and slice eggs (as shown in the photo) *Note: an egg slicer helps to evenly slice the pieces
- Gently mix eggs, potatoes, mayonnaise, radishes, green onion, pickle juice and salt together.
- Transfer the potato salad to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to fully chill. Serve chilled, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
- Before serving, garnish with paprika by sprinkling and additional eggs and radishes, if desired.
🥗More Healthy Summer Salads
- Easy Bean Salad (Vegan)
- Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Perogy Potato Salad
- Ingredient Tuna Macaroni Salad
- Grilled Chicken Ceasar Salad
This recipe is party of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck