Sometimes I want cabbage rolls, but I don’t want to do all the work associated with actually making cabbage rolls.
Who am I kidding? Not sometimes; that actually happens all the time! In light of this dilemma, I have created the ultimate laziest and easiest way to get my cabbage roll fix!
These Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls are 5 WW points on the blue plan (for a substantial sized serving of this recipe) which is pretty darn good for Ukrainian Food! Because this is not your typical, traditional Ukrainian cabbage roll recipe…
Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole
And these cabbage rolls ain’t your Baba’s cabbage rolls either! They are not the traditional rice cabbage rolls, covered in tomato sauce. And neither is this lazy cabbage roll casserole- it’s hearty and meaty! I grew up with what we deemed “Scottish Cabbage Rolls ” with meat, rice and mushrooms stuffed inside, then covered in tomato soup sauce. They are the best kind of cabbage roll, as far as I’m concerned. And now I’ve turned them into an easy slow cooker casserole!
Cabbage Rolls in a Slow Cooker
It took a couple of tries to get the time and ingredients right, but this lazy slow cooker cabbage roll casserole is exactly like my family’s Scottish cabbage roll recipe, minus all the cooking and peeling cabbage off the cabbage core, stuffing and rolling involved! You can also make the original rolled cabbage roll recipe in a slow cooker, but you’ll want to budget lots of time for preparation. I think I’ll be doing it this way from here on in.
~These Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls are a game changer!~
Cabbage rolls are a holiday tradition for my family. And although I always want them, I often don’t make them because of lack of time, energy etc… When you are already making a huge meal that takes hours to prepare, adding cabbage rolls to the menu feels a little daunting.
This casserole is something I actually feel that I could pull off when making a holiday dinner, along with everything else I am making. These Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls don’t require all the stuffing and rolling time the regular cabbage rolls do and they can cook right alongside a holiday dinner in your slow cooker, without taking up valuable real estate on the stove or in your oven! But they are also great not only as a side dish, but as a main dish too, served with vegetables or Ukrainian style, with kubassa!
Lazy Man Cabbage Rolls
If I can find a shortcut for a recipe, I am going with it! My Ukrainian Shortcut Borscht Soup is another example of my efforts to make Ukrainian food faster (and healthier)! Although we have more modern conveniences than Baba had, I still don’t have the time she had in the kitchen! So it’s necessary to look for faster and easier ways to make my favorite Ukrainian foods.
Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls in Crock-pot
Otherwise know as unstuffed cabbage rolls in a crock pot, these guys are so easy to make, yet taste just as delicious as the original cabbage roll. And it can be made ahead or frozen. They are also perfect in the summer when you don’t want to heat up your house!
Lazy Cabbage Rolls in Slow Cooker
I’ve said it before – I LOVE my slow cooker! It’s an amazing appliance that does all the work for you! And making lazy cabbage rolls in the slow cooker is so easy. Be sure to check my other Slow Cooker Recipes too!
Here are my Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)* I have the Hamilton Beach 6 quart Slow Cooker and love it!
If you’re looking for hearty Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls, something that you can serve as a meal or a side dish, you’re going to love this slow cooker casserole!
Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
- 1 lb ground beef cooked
- 4 cups of brown rice (cooked) * I use brown minute rice
- 1 medium onion diced chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms can substitute canned mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup add additional to taste
- 1 large cabbage *chopped
- 3 -10 oz -cans condensed tomato soup *gluten-free
- light or non -fat sour cream
- fresh dill
- Brown ground beef with chopped onion on stove top. Add mushrooms when ground beef is nearly done. Cook until meat is browned and onions and mushrooms are soft. Drain.
- Cook rice per package directions.
- Mix ground beef mixture, rice and ketchup together in large bowl.
- Remove core from cabbage and chop cabbage leaves into bit sized pieces
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and add 1/2 of the cabbage to the bottom of the crock-pot.
- Then add 1/2 the rice with meat mixture, then 1 can of tomato soup on top of it.
- Add the remaining layer of cabbage, then remaining rice and meat mixture, then 2 cans of tomato soup on top.
- Cook for 8-9 hours on low, until cabbage is tender and a fork can easily go through it (may need a little longer)
- Garnish with light or non-fat sour cream and fresh dill, if desired.
More Healthy & Weight Watchers Friendly Ukrainian Food!
This recipe is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!