Sometimes I want cabbage rolls, but I don't want to do all the work associated with actually making cabbage rolls. Who am I kidding? Not sometimes; that actually happens all the time! In light of this dilemma, I have created the ultimate laziest and easiest way to get my cabbage roll fix! These Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls require much less effort and are also ww friendly.
Lazy man's cabbage rolls in the slow cooker are a great recipe for busy weeknights! And it's popular all year 'round. This recipe also inspired my Lazy Pierogi Casserole.
And these cabbage rolls ain't your Baba's traditional cabbage rolls either! They are not the traditional rice cabbage rolls, covered in tomato sauce. And neither is this lazy cabbage roll casserole- it's hearty and meaty!
I grew up with what we deemed "Scottish Cabbage Rolls " with meat, rice, and mushrooms stuffed inside, then covered in tomato soup sauce. They are the best kind of cabbage roll, as far as I'm concerned. And now I've turned them into an easy slow cooker casserole!
For this slow cooker cabbage roll casserole, you'll need:
- extra lean ground beef
- instant rice *you can use white or brown rice
- canned mushrooms
- condensed tomato soup
*see recipe card for quantities
- Brown ground beef with chopped onion in a large skillet, over medium heat, on the stove top. Add mushrooms when ground beef is nearly done. Cook until meat is browned and onions and mushrooms are soft. Drain.
- Cook rice per package directions.
- Mix ground beef mixture, cooked rice, and ketchup together in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove core from cabbage and chop cabbage leaves into bite-sized pieces. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and add ½ of the cabbage to the bottom of the crock-pot.
- Then add ½ the rice with cooked ground beef mixture, then 1 can of tomato soup on top of it.
- Add the remaining layer of chopped cabbage, then remaining rice and meat mixture, then 2 cans of tomato soup on top. Add the remaining layer of cabbage, then remaining rice and meat mixture, then 2 cans of tomato soup on top.
- mushrooms - I use canned but you can use fresh
- rice - I use instant brown rice, but you could use white rice
- ground beef - I use extra lean ground beef but you could use lean or regular (if you're not worried about extra WW points) or ground turkey to further reduce WW points
It took a couple of tries to get the time and ingredients right, but this lazy slow cooker cabbage roll recipe is exactly like my family's Scottish cabbage roll recipe, minus all the cooking and peeling cabbage off the cabbage core, stuffing, and rolling involved!
You can also make the original rolled cabbage roll recipe in a slow cooker, but you'll want to budget lots of time for preparation. I think I'll be doing it this way from here on in.
~This Lazy Cabbage Roll Recipe is a game changer!~
Homemade cabbage rolls are a holiday tradition for my family, as well as pure comfort food! Although I always want them, I often don't make them because of lack of time, energy etc...
When you are already making a huge meal that takes hours to prepare, adding cabbage rolls to the menu feels a little daunting. This Lazy Cabbage Rolls recipe is like eating regular cabbage rolls, but in casserole form, without all the work.
🥗 Side dishes
These deconstructed cabbage rolls are the easy way to get your cabbage roll fix and something I actually feel that I could pull off when making a holiday dinner, along with everything else I am making.
This Lazy Cabbage Rolls recipe doesn't require all the extra work of stuffing and rolling time the regular cabbage rolls do and they can cook right alongside a holiday dinner in your slow cooker, without taking up valuable real estate on the stove or in your oven!
These slow cooker unstuffed cabbage rolls are also great not only as a side dish but as a main dish too, served with vegetables or Ukrainian style, with kubassa!
I also like to serve this easy meal with:
These Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls taste exactly like regular meat and rice cabbage rolls, but are so much quicker and easier to make! And if I can find a shortcut for a recipe, I am going with it! My Shortcut Borscht is another example of my efforts to make Ukrainian food faster (and healthier)!
Otherwise known as unstuffed cabbage rolls in a crock pot, these Ukrainian lazy cabbage rolls are so easy to make, yet taste just as delicious as the original cabbage roll. They are also perfect in the summer when you don't want to heat up your house!
- They can be made ahead and stored for up to 4 days in the fridge in a sealed airtight container
- They can be frozen and stored in a sealed airtight container for up to 3 months.
This recipe is for a 6 quart slow cooker and making lazy cabbage rolls in the slow cooker is so easy. I've said it before - I LOVE my slow cooker! It's an amazing appliance that does all the work for you. Be sure to check my other Slow Cooker Recipes too!
You will also need a sharp knife, a cutting board, and a skillet.
👪 Serving Size
1 serving is 1/12 of the recipe, which is about 1 cup.
These Crock pot unstuffed cabbage rolls are Weight Watchers friendly at 7 ww points. However, if you really want to bring down the points, use cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. That substitution will bring the points down to 5 points.
If you're looking for hearty Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls, an easy recipe that you can serve as a meal or a side dish that the whole family will love, you're going to love this slow cooker casserole!
📋 Lazy Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef cooked
- 4 cups of brown rice (cooked) * I use brown minute rice
- 1 medium onion diced chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms can substitute canned mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups ketchup add additional to taste
- 1 large head of cabbage *chopped
- 3 -10 oz -cans condensed tomato soup *gluten-free
- light or non -fat sour cream
- fresh dill or dried dill weed
- Brown ground beef with chopped onion in a large skillet, over medium heat, on stove top. Add mushrooms when ground beef is nearly done. Cook until meat is browned and onions and mushrooms are soft. Drain.
- Cook rice per package directions.
- Mix ground beef mixture, rice and ketchup together in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove core from cabbage and chop cabbage leaves into bit sized pieces
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray and add ½ of the cabbage to the bottom of the crock-pot.
- Then add ½ the rice with meat mixture, then 1 can of tomato soup on top of it.
- Add the remaining layer of cabbage, then remaining rice and meat mixture, then 2 cans of tomato soup on top.
- Cook for 8-9 hours on low, until cabbage is tender and a fork can easily go through it (may need a little longer)
- Garnish with light or non-fat sour cream and fresh dill, if desired. Serve in a casserole dish or any type of serving dish you prefer.