Making your own breadsticks is easy when you have a bread machine! And if you don't have a bread machine, I would encourage you to get one. It's a really good investment.
I've said it before, but I love my bread machine as much as I love my slow cooker. And that's saying a lot! And my bread machine makes these Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks so easy! Not only are they delicious, they make your house smell incredible!
I got a bread machine early on in the adulting portion of my life, so I've never actually made bread by hand (aside from Easter bread) which I eventually discovered I could also make in my bread maker (yay!). So now I never make bread by hand. I've been tempted to try, as I realize it's a rite of passage for a baker, but my wrists are not good and kneading is a real challenge. And that's why I love my bread machine so very much - it does all the hard work for me! That is my kind of small appliance. And these bread machine breadsticks are one of my favorite things to make in it!
I got this breadsticks recipe out of the instruction book that came with my bread machine many years ago. This breakstick recipe will pair well with any meal, but especially with soup, pasta and stew. And they will make your house smell amazing, leaving everyone begging for more. In fact, my kids couldn't even wait until the next day for me to photograph them! We love to eat them dipped in balsamic vinegar mixed with olive oil.
These Italian Breadsticks are great as an appetizer, snack or side. And they are super easy to make. Once the dough is made in the bread machine, you simply roll it out, spice it, cut it with a pizza cutter and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
⏲️ Baking time
Bake in preheated oven (375 degrees F/ 190 degrees C) for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown and lightly browned on the bottom.
💭 Top tip
If the ends are a little pointy or you don't like the way they look, simply use your hands to round the dough and make them look nicer. Remember - they don't have to look perfect or exactly the same!
And they are wonderful dipped in your favorite pizza sauce!
You can't have breadsticks without garlic and even adding a little garlic powder to them makes these garlic breadsticks sing! They are also soft and taste similar to Olive Garden Breadsticks (but better, I think!)
For this recipe you'll need:
- whole wheat flour
- all-purpose flour
- butter * I use unsalted
- dry milk
- white granulated sugar
- bread machine yeast
- garlic powder
- parmesan cheese
💭 What to eat breadsticks with?
They go perfectly with my Loaded Pierogi Soup!
Make-ahead: This recipe can be made ahead and stored up to 3 days at room temperature in a sealed container. There is no reason to refrigerate them, as the fridge tends to dry out baked goods.
Freezing: After the breadsticks are cooled completely, freeze them in a Ziplock freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Reheating: Pop them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
So haul out that bread maker and make these wonderful Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks! And if you don't have a bread machine, I've left some recommendations for you in the NOTES.
Happy easy bread making!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks Recipe
- 8 oz water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon dry milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine IN ORDER GIVEN IN INGREDIENT LIST (salt along one edge and sugar around the other), then form a small crater with your finger in the top of the flour and pour yeast into this crater. * See NOTES for explanation
- Set bread machine on dough cycle and when dough cycle is complete, remove the dough from bread machine and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into large rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Cut into 15 - 1 inch (approximately) strips using a pizza cutter.
- Place breadsticks on parchment lined (or greased) baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown and lightly browned on the bottom.
*NOTE: Recipe is for 1 lb bread maker **NOTE: I have a very old bread machine so I have to put the ingredients in a specific order. This may not be the case for your bread maker.