Making your own breadsticks is easy when you have a bread machine! And if you don't have a bread machine, I would encourage you to get one. It's a really good investment.
I've said it before, but I love my bread machine as much as I love my slow cooker. And that's saying a lot! And my bread machine makes these Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks so easy! Not only are they delicious, they make your house smell incredible!
Bread machine breadsticks
I got a bread machine early on in the adulting portion of my life, so I've never actually made bread by hand (aside from Easter bread) which I eventually discovered I could also make in my bread maker (yay!). So now I never make bread by hand. I've been tempted to try, as I realize it's a rite of passage for a baker, but my wrists are not good and kneading is a real challenge. And that's why I love my bread machine so very much - it does all the hard work for me! That is my kind of small appliance.
I got this breadsticks recipe out of the instruction book that came with my bread machine many years ago. This breakstick recipe will pair well with any meal, but especially with soup, pasta and stew. And they will make your house smell amazing, leaving everyone begging for more. In fact, my kids couldn't even wait until the next day for me to photograph them! We love to eat them dipped in balsamic vinegar mixed with olive oil.
These Italian Breadsticks are great as an appetizer, snack or side. And they are super easy to make. Once the dough is made, you simply roll it out, spice it, then cut it with a pizza cutter. And they are wonderful dipped in your favorite pizza sauce!
Garlic Breadsticks recipe
You can't have breadsticks without garlic and even adding a little garlic powder to them makes these garlic breadsticks sing! They are also soft and taste similar to Olive Garden Breadsticks (but better, I think!) And we love to eat them as a side with a salad or soup. They go perfectly with my Loaded Pierogi Soup!
So haul out that bread maker and make these wonderful Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks! And if you don't have a bread machine, I've left some recommendations for you below.
Happy easy bread making!
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
Bread Machine Italian Breadsticks Recipe
- bread machine
- Add ingredients to bread machine IN ORDER GIVEN IN INGREDIENT LIST (salt along one edge and sugar around the other), then form a small crater with your finger in the top of the flour and pour yeast into this crater. * See NOTES for explanation
- Set bread machine on dough cycle and when dough cycle is complete, remove the dough from bread machine and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll dough into large rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Cut into 15 - 1 inch (approximately) strips using a pizza cutter.
- Place breadsticks on parchment lined (or greased) baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12- 15 minutes or until golden brown and lightly browned on the bottom.