Granola really fell from grace during the era when fat was considered a naughty word.
But now that we’ve realized there is ‘good fat’ and ‘eating clean’ (whole foods) is back in food fashion, granola appears to be making a comeback. Yay! There is nothing like homemade granola. I incorporate brown butter into my version. This healthy pecan granola recipe is chock-full of lots of healthy stuff, minus the preservatives, it doesn’t take long to make, is a perfect breakfast food, and stores well and is versatile in that it can be eaten straight up, sprinkled on all kinds of things (most notably yogurt) or simply with some milk.
Healthy Granola Recipe
Brown butter is pretty old school but has also come back into food vogue over the last couple of years. And rightly so. It’s easy to add to recipes and lends a delicious caramel flavor to whatever it’s paired with. If you’re not familiar with brown butter, well, it’s just that-butter that’s been browned. But you need to be careful not to overcook it. There are plenty of video guides online that teach you the proper technique for browning butter. Here is a link one : How to make brown butter
This recipe won the “Farmer’s Almanac’s Readers Best Recipes and their Stories-25th Anniversary Edition Cookbook” contest. The book was published September 2016 and this recipe was used in their marketing campaign as well.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Pecan Brown Butter Granola
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Mix oats, chia, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, coconut, pecans and cranberries together.
- Brown butter in a small sauce pan
- In a separate saucepan, heat milk, salt and honey to boiling, remove and cool.
- When butter is brown (see video below in Notes on how to brown butter), add to honey mixture. Cool for a minute or so, then pour over oat mixture and stir. Stir in wheat germ.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray and spread mixture on sheet. Cook for about 15 minutes, cool and store in ziplock bag.
This recipe is part of the Country Cook Weekend Potluck!