You'd be surprised to learn that some of the best chefs work in seniors' lodges and long-term care centers. And I bet you're wondering why? I've scored some of my best recipes, tips, and tricks from chefs and cooks who work in that industry. This White Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting is a little gem of a recipe that came to me from one such chef. When I started in seniors care/housing, I was actually shocked at how good the food was!
This 2 Ingredient White Chocolate Whipped Cream frosting, aka Whipped White Chocolate Ganache, was so good that I had to ask for the recipe. I couldn't believe how easy (only 2 ingredients), given just how delicious it was! It's the perfect white chocolate ganache.
I also wondered why so many talented chefs would want to work in seniors lodges; so I asked. It's because it's a 9-5 job! Just talk to any chef who's worked in the restaurant industry; a restaurant job is not exactly conducive to family life.
And it's probably not the right fit for someone who's looking for a regular day job, but the seniors housing and care industry is. Yet, I also wondered...did it give them the same satisfaction as being a chef in a restaurant?
I was so happy to find this chocolate whipped cream frosting recipe tucked into one of my old recipe binders, in amongst my other recipes from the early 2000s when I worked at an organization that had a number of senior care homes.
💭Types of Ganache & Frosting
This white chocolate frosting is also known as ganache. If you've made ganache before and don't remember it being this consistency, you are right to be confused! There are different types of ganache.
And while the process of making ganache is always the same, you combine cream and chocolate, and the ratio of chocolate to cream varies based on the use. And sometimes ganache is not whipped, as this whipped white chocolate ganache (i.e. poured ganache). You can learn more about chocolate ganache HERE and learn more about the different types of frosting HERE.
You will need an electric mixer and a stand mixer (affiliate links) is ideal for this whipped white chocolate ganache frosting. However, you could use an electric hand mixer- it will just take longer to whip.
Store this white chocolate whipping cream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It does not stand up to freezing.
👪 Serving Size
This whipped white chocolate ganache recipe makes 12 servings. However, you can half, double, or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
Read any of Anthony Bourdain's (RIP) books and it quickly becomes apparent why someone wouldn't want the kind of lifestyle that accompanies a career in the restaurant industry. I recently talked to the Mom who runs the canteen at my kids' school, who was also a chef at higher-end restaurants at one time, and she said the very same thing.
She didn't want that lifestyle once she started a family of her own. However, I must say that my kids are pretty darn lucky to have her making their lunch! Just as there are a lot of lucky seniors out there. And that's actually really comforting to me when I think about the prospect of eventually living in a retirement home. Because we all know that good food contributes to lifelong happiness!
Every chef I've talked to said the creativity aspect is simply a 'trade-off,' like anything else. Maybe they can't be quite as creative as they could as a chef at a restaurant, but there's still room for creativity. And having some semblance of a 'normal life' and seeing their families is a bigger priority to them.
❔ Frequently Asked Questions
Whipped cream frosting uses powdered sugar/icing sugar to sweeten it. It is also commonly stabilized with gelatin so it holds its shape better and can be used for decorating.
Whipped ganache makes an excellent cake frosting and filling for layer cakes!
2 Ingredient recipes: I am always in awe of how two little ingredients can create something so darn delicious! When you try this recipe you won't believe it's only 2 simple ingredients: white chocolate and whipped cream! (see recipe card for quantities)
And we already know that some of the very best recipes are the simplest, like this Weight Watchers 2 Ingredient Pizza Dough!
White chocolate can be really sweet and so can icing, so that's why pairing plain white chocolate and whipping cream makes for a light, not too sweet frosting. Enjoy....
📋 2 Ingredient White Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting (Ganache) Recipe
- 1 litre whipping cream (33% -35% fat) / heavy cream (* 4 cups)
- 8 ounces -(2 bars) of white baking chocolate *Do NOT use white chocolate chips!
- Add chopped white chocolate bars to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave at 50% power for 3 minutes. Heat the heavy whipping cream separately, in another microwave-safe bowl (at regular power), for 2-3 minutes or until warm. *Alternatively, you can do this in a double boiler
- Remove, combine the warm whipping cream with the melted chocolate and stir well. Then continue to cook in 20 second intervals (at regular power) until the chocolate is incorporated into the whipping cream, stirring each time. It should be a smooth texture and there shouldn't be ANY lumps in your white chocolate. * This could take another 2-3 minutes.
- Cool on counter, then pour into the bowl of a stand mixer bowl (if you have one)- any large mixing bowl will do. Then cover with a piece of plastic wrap (I use glad press n' seal) and let stand in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Once the white chocolate ganache is chilled (it will be soft and not solid like regular chocolate ganache), use the whisk attachment on your stand mixer and whip on low speed and gradually working up to high speed until the ganache is light and fluff and reaches stiff peaks.
- Serve whipped chocolate ganache with any recipe calling for whipped cream. Spread on cupcakes or a standard sized cake. The white chocolate ganache whipped cream frosting will stay stable in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and retain its fluffy texture.