This post contains affiliate links (SEE DISCLOSURE POLICY)
Get bananas in a bread and they’re like that person in the room that has to be the center of attention. You know the type I’m talking about; it’s ALWAYS all about them. That’s bananas – their flavor completely takes over everything! Bananas are really the narcissists of the fruit world, if you think about it.
That’s why I love this banana bread with the rum, coconut and lime glaze! All the other stuff in this bread is able to fight for its rightful position, putting that banana flavor in its place, so it’s not all about the bananas. If you are looking for unique banana bread recipes, without an overpowering banana taste, then this Easy Healthy Tropical Banana Bread with Lime Glaze is the one for you!
I’m pretty picky about my bananas. Although they’re up there in my top 3 fave fruits, there’s about a 2 day period where I actually like them. Eating them is completely off the table once they start to get brown and have any mush factor whatsoever. Therefore, I have A LOT of bananas in my freezer. And this is one of my favorite recipes to make with fresh or frozen bananas.
Speaking of freezing bananas, just a tip- you’ll want to peel them BEFORE you freeze them. It took me years, lots of minor frostbite from peeling frozen bananas and having frozen bananas as painful as frozen hockey pucks fall out of the freezer onto my toes, before I discovered this very logical way of freezing bananas!
Quick Bread Recipes
This easy quick banana bread with Greek yogurt is considered quick bread because it uses baking soda, not yeast, as it’s leavener. And that’s what a quick bread is: any bread, such as muffins or corn bread, leavened with baking powder or baking soda and NOT yeast. Also, it’s a bread that doesn’t require rising time and can be baked as soon as the batter is mixed. My Date Nut Loaf and Healthy Carrot Loaf are also extremely popular quick bread recipes you’ll probably want to try as well!
If you’re looking for healthy banana bread ideas with real ingredients then this banana bread will blow you away! You’ll still know bananas are in there, but they won’t be running the entire flavor show. And isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be?
If you love this banana, coconut, rum and lime flavor combo, have a lot of frozen bananas and want to use them up, then try this Nice Cream (a vegan and healthy version of ice cream) It uses 6 bananas!
Easy Healthy Tropical Banana bread (with lime glaze)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 4 medium mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup vanilla non-fat greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons amber rum * or substitute rum extract for non-alcoholic version
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- flaked sweetened coconut sprinkles (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine flours, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Place brown sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum, and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon coconut, if desired.
- Bake at 350° for about 1 hour (I cooked it 10 minutes longer, as it wasn’t quite done) or until a cake tester/wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Combine powdered sugar, lime juice, and zest stirring with a whisk; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely on wire rack.
This recipe is part ofThe Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck!