Huevos Rancheros Recipe
However, you'll still want to check out Highlevel Diner the next time you’re in Edmonton.
Because not only is their Huevos Rancheros recipe delicious, their Cinnamon Buns with Bourbon sauce are also to die for!
The diner is at the south end of the Highlevel Bridge, where you get a fantastic view of Edmonton. It’s really a beautiful walk from the diner (and you can burn off some of that breakfast.) I can't wait to go back this summer!
Heuvos Rancheros meaning
Huevos rancheros is a rural Mexican dish that literally means “rancher’s eggs” in Spanish. In essence, it's a plate of food consisting of eggs, beans, rice, and sometimes papas (potatoes) with tortillas. Avocado/guacamole, and various regional sauces can sometimes be accompaniments as well. And it's considered a Mexican comfort food. You can read more HERE.
Easy Huevos Rancheros
Many recipes use a fresh Pico de Gallo type sauce. Although I love that type of sauce, I'm not a big fan of all the chopping required. These Easy Huevos Rancheros use a simple blender/microwave tomato sauce to make it easier and faster. But if you prefer that sauce and would like to use it with this recipe then simply replace the tomato sauce with my Pico de gallo. Beware: it will take you longer!
Huevos Rancheros Sauce
I love this recipe because of how quick and easy it is! I made a tomato sauce out of ingredients (green pepper, onion, garlic, canned tomatoes etc..) that can quickly be tossed in the blender and pureed. You don't even need to chop up the veggies; just simply throw the chunks in and let the blender do all the work! Instant rice and canned refried beans make it really quick. And the tortilla's are baked at the same time as the dish so there's no fussing with frying. Easy peasy!
Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes
So if you're looking for a quick and delicious Mexican vegetarian breakfast, give these Sheet Pan Heuvos Rancheros a try! And be sure check out my other Mexican vegetarian breakfast recipes:
This post is NOT sponsored by the Highlevel Diner (I just really like their food!)
Easy Sheet Pan Huevos Rancheros
Tomato Sauce for Heuvos Rancheros
- sour cream
- green onions, optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9X13 baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook instant rice as per package directions and set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, cumin, onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapenos, 2 sprigs of cilantro and green pepper in blender and puree until smooth. Then transfer to a microwave safe dish and cook for 5 minutes in microwave.
- Spray another baking sheet with non- stick cooking spray and add tortillas, spacing evenly (don't worry if they hang over the edge.)Bake ONLY 5 minutes. *If they puff up in spots, pop it with a toothpick and push the air out. But be careful, the steam is HOT! Cool for 2 minutes after baking and flatten.
- Spread refried beans evenly on the bottom of baking sheet
- Add rice.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Crack 6 eggs, spacing evenly,
- Then scatter cheese evenly over everything.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until eggs are to your liking. *If you like the egg yolks harder you’ll have to bake it a little longer.
- Garnish with sour cream, salsa, additional cilantro and green onion, as desired. Then serve with 1 baked tortilla (sliced in half) and enjoy!
More Vegetarian Breakfast Ideas!
This recipe is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!