As I stood in the porch waiting, I could hear my friend's Mom calling from the kitchen, "I'm just getting my dinner ready- be there in a minute..." And as she rounded the corner, carrying an enormous, heaping plate of nachos that would put any pub to shame, I have to admit that I was a little surprised.
I love nachos and actually having them as dinner was definitely up there in my top 10 childhood fantasies. However, in good conscience, I certainly couldn't call them dinner. But healthy nachos for breakfast?! YES PLEASE! And that's exactly what these Mexican Sheet Pan Eggs with Tortilla Toast taste like! Quick, easy, healthy and delicious 2 WW points on blue, per egg with toppings, including tortilla toast chips (4 chips)!
This Sheet Pan Eggs recipe pairs healthy eggs with Mexican nacho flavors like:
- black olives
- green onions
- low-fat cheddar cheese
It's a quick and easy weekday morning breakfast, weekend brunch or even dinner. This breakfast can also be made ahead, as it keeps for 3 days in the fridge. For those that like it less spicy, simply skip the jalapeno. This recipe is also vegetarian and gluten-free. And this is the easiest and tastiest way to make sunny side up eggs in the oven!
🥘Nachos for breakfast or dinner
It was just not what I'd have expected from someone's parent. And yeah, as a kid, I would have been seriously envious of that dinner. However, as a semi-responsible young adult, I was taken aback when she actually referred to it as dinner. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten my share of junk food dinners, especially as a starving student in University. But I would never try to convince myself or anyone else that nachos were actually a respectable dinner. Nor would I refer to it as dinner in front of my kids or my kids' friends (I'm attempting to set a good example here.) However, this healthy Nacho Sheet Pan Eggs is not just respectable breakfast, it's a respectable Weight Watchers friendly breakfast or dinner!
⏲️How to make eggs in the oven
- Carefully crack eggs onto prepared 9X13 sheet pan.
- Try to spread them out the best you can, but they will go where they want to go so don't worry!
- Add 2 teaspoons of water dribbling between eggs, spreading as evenly as possible ** According to Food & Wine this technique helps you avoid rubbery whites and underdone yolks, because steam from the water helps the eggs cook evenly, transferring heat all the way through to the tops of the eggs.
- Add your toppings, distributing evenly, over eggs.
- Bake eggs at 425 degrees F/220 degrees C for 8-10 minutes. * If you like the yolks a little firmer, then cook for longer (you will need to keep an eye on it)
- NOTE: if you cook a ½ sheet (6 eggs) it needs less time - only 7-8 minutes.
I can't say I haven't eaten my share of nachos and equally bad for me junk food over that span of time we refer to as dinner, but I guess I have always defined dinner as non junk food; it's just been ingrained in me. And however judgy this may sound, cause I know it does, you have to realize that what I write on this blog is actually my inside voice, so I'm pretty candid.
I'm sure we can all agree that one of the best things about being an adult is eating what you want when you want, but that still doesn't mean you get to call it dinner! However, if you want to feel like you're eating nachos for dinner, yet know you're eating a respectable and healthy dinner, then give these Mexican Eggs a try!
* Disclaimer: No offense intended if you've ever considered or referred to nachos as dinner 🙂
This is the ideal Mexican breakfast because it's healthy and really does feel like you're eating healthy nachos for breakfast! I like to have toast with my eggs, so tortilla toast seemed like the perfect addition to this Mexican breakfast! Tortillas are baked, then cut into wedges and are perfect for dipping!
If you like this recipe, then give my Two Cheese Tuna Mexi Melts. It's another respectable nachos for dinner recipe.
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
📋 Mexican Sheet Pan Eggs Recipe
- guacamole (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- additional salsa (optional)
Tortilla Toast chips
- 6 -6 inch tortillas gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F/220 degrees C. Prepare a 9X13 sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Carefully crack eggs into the sheet pan. Try to spread them out the best you can, but they will go where they want to go so don't worry! Add 2 teaspoons of water dribbling between eggs, spreading as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle on jalepenos, black olives, salsa, green onion, then cheese, distributing evenly over cracked eggs.
- Bake eggs for 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately. * If you like the yolks a little firmer, then cook for longer (you will need to keep an eye on it)
- Add additional salsa and sour cream if desired.
- Bake tortillas for 4-6 minutes (while eggs are baking) until lightly browned. Cool, then cut each tortilla into 6 pieces. Spread with guacamole, if desired.