Pizza for breakfast?! Yes please!
I never thought I’d be able to say that so soon after making my New Year’s resolution. But this year, unlike others, I’m keeping my resolutions simple with one resolution; eat healthy.
And since pizza, in its traditional form, isn’t necessarily the healthiest of breakfasts, a few years back, I created this simple and healthy Better for You Egg White Breakfast Pizza. It’s a deep dish style egg white pizza, packed with healthy ingredients like whole grain, veggies and low-fat protein. But it’s so delicious you won’t even notice that it’s better for you! And it’s only 1 Weight Watchers smart point per slice!
Making one simple resolution is my new strategy. In the past, I have tried to take on way too many resolutions and it has not ended well.
Like many, I have overindulged over the holidays and I want to get back on track. But that doesn’t mean that I want to give up pizza! Eggs, pizza and breakfast…well, they just naturally go together. And although whole eggs are healthy, breakfast pizza made with Naturegg Simply Egg Whites is a lighter meal option after the holidays (fewer calories and fat).
And Burnbrae’s Naturegg Simply Egg Whites are real, pasteurized egg whites. Burnbrae cracks and separates the eggs for you – creating a simple and convenient product to help get back on track from the holidays.
One year I decided that my resolutions would include going to the gym several times a week, giving up junk food, eating healthy, losing 10 lbs and I even threw becoming a more courteous driver, into the mix.
Have you been to the gym the first week in January!?
It’s a schmoz; a total fitness frenzy. The first time I went I couldn’t even get on a machine, skipped my workout, was not a particularly courteous driver on my way home, then found solace in some junk food. After that experience, I actually started avoiding the gym until at least the end of February until I could be sure a bunch of those well-meaning resolution makers fell off the wagon. Because I knew they would. Stats show that 80% of us that make a resolution dump it within 3 months. For me, it was because it was not realistic.
When I say simple resolutions, I also mean realistic. I am not saying I will eat healthy every day because I know I will never keep that vow. Plus, I believe in balance. I have already built in some indulgence days. Building in indulgences, so I don’t feel totally deprived, is what works for me.
But pizza doesn’t have to be one of those indulgences when it’s made with egg whites baked on whole grain with only 77 calories and 1 gram of fat per slice! And it’s Weight Watchers friendly at only 1 smart point per slice! This easy and healthy egg white breakfast pizza is not only better for you, it makes keeping those healthy eating resolutions as easy as pizza pie!
You can make this breakfast pizza ahead and heat it up in the microwave for 45 seconds or pop it in the oven while you get yourself and/or the kids ready. You can even take it on the go! It’s delicious hot or cold.
And if you are looking for additional delicious ideas for cooking with Naturegg Simply Egg Whites, you can find more easy egg white recipes HERE.
Do you make resolutions? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below!
Better for you Breakfast Pizza
- 1 12- inch giant whole wheat pita (Balady bread ) ** for gluten-free use a gluten-free pita bread
- 1 cup Burnbrae Farms Naturegg Simple Egg Whites
- 1 -150 g package of extra lean/low-fat honey maple ham deli slices (6-7 pieces) cut into approximately 1 inch squares)
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce your favourite brand
- 1 1/2 tbsp parmesan cheese fat-free
- 1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chives (fresh preferrably) finely chopped * you can substitute green onion if you can't get your hands on chives
- 3/4 cup mushrooms sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 10" cast iron frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. If you don't have a cast iron frying pan, you can use a tart pan, a deep dish pizza pan or any 10" pan with raised edges.
- Set pita inside. Ensure that sides of pita are raised. Top pita with pizza sauce and half of the ham.
- Mix Burnbrae Farms Naturegg Simple Egg Whites with chives and pour on top.
- Add remaining ham, then mushrooms and cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place on middle rack in prepared oven and bake for approximately 40- 50 minutes or until egg are set (no longer runny).
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days and reheat in microwave for approximately 45 seconds