Pizza for breakfast?! Yes, please! I never thought I'd be able to say that so soon after making my New Year's resolution. But this year, unlike others, I'm keeping my resolutions simple with one resolution; eat healthy. And this healthy breakfast pizza is the perfect way to do that! And since traditional pizza isn't necessarily the healthiest of breakfasts, a few years back, I created this simple and Healthy Breakfast Pizza Recipe!
It's a deep dish-style egg white pizza, packed with healthy ingredients like whole grain, veggies, and low-fat protein. But it’s so delicious you won’t even notice that it’s better for you! And it's only 2 Weight Watchers points per slice! It was inspired by my Weight Watchers Pizza with 2 ingredient Weight Watchers Pizza Dough. This recipe is ideal for a special occasion, or weekend brunch and can even be made on a weekday.
Making one simple resolution is my new strategy. In the past, I have tried to take on way too many resolutions and it has not ended well.
Like many, I have overindulged over the holidays and I want to get back on track. But that doesn't mean that I want to give up pizza! Eggs, pizza, and breakfast...well, they just naturally go together.
For this healthy homemade breakfast pizza recipe, you'll need:
- Balady bread (giant whole wheat pitas)
- liquid egg whites (in a carton, from the grocery store) or regular egg whites
- extra lean low-fat maple ham slices
- pizza sauce
- fat-free parmesan cheese
- low-fat cheddar cheese
- fresh chives
- fresh mushrooms
*see recipe card for quantities
Preheat oven to 350 degrees f (176 degrees c)
Spray a 10" cast iron frying pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Set pita inside. Ensure that the sides of pita are raised.
Top pita with pizza sauce and half of the ham
In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites with chives and pour egg mixture on top.
Add remaining ham, then mushrooms and cheddar cheese to top of pizzas. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Place on middle rack in prepared oven and bake for approximately 40- 50 minutes or until eggs are set (no longer runny).
Hint: If you don't have a cast iron frying pan, you can use a tart pan, a deep dish pizza pan, or any 10" pan with raised edges.
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- ham - you could use low-fat turkey sausage or turkey bacon as a substitute
- chives- you could use green onions as a substitute
- cheese - you could use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar
- mushrooms - you could use another vegetable like bell peppers (if you're not a fan)
- pizza toppings - add your favorite toppings such as jalapenos, black olives, fresh tomatoes, white onions or caramelized onion
- pizza crust (pita bread) - alternatively, you could use homemade pizza dough, like my WW friendly 2 ingredient pizza dough, cauliflower crust, or make a cloud bread pizza crust using my cloud bread recipe (minus the everything bagel seasoning)
This easy breakfast pizza recipe is 2 WW points per slice.
🥗 Side Dishes
This healthy homemade breakfast pizza pairs well with fresh berries or this Old Fashioned Fruit Salad (with Honey Lime Dressing)
If you use egg whites instead of liquid egg whites from the grocery store, you can use the leftover egg yolks to make my Healthy and WW friendly Hollandaise Sauce!
This breakfast recipe works well with a 10 inch cast iron skillet/frying pan (affiliate link). I recommend the Lodge brand, they are excellent quality and pre-seasoned! However, if you don't have a cast iron frying pan, you can use a tart pan, a deep dish pizza pan, or any 10" pan with raised edges.
This healthy spin on breakfast pizza can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the microwave for approximately 45 seconds. However, it can be eaten hot or cold.
You can make this healthy breakfast pizza recipe in advance and heat it up in the microwave for 45 seconds or pop it in the oven while you get yourself and/or the kids ready. You can even take it on the go! It’s delicious hot or cold.
When I say simple resolutions, I also mean realistic. I am not saying I will eat healthy every day because I know I will never keep that vow. Plus, I believe in balance. I have already built in some indulgence days. Building in indulgences, so I don't feel totally deprived, is what works for me.
But pizza doesn't have to be one of those indulgences when it’s made with egg whites baked on whole grain. And it's Weight Watchers friendly at only 2 points per slice! This easy and healthy egg white pizza is not only better for you, but it also makes keeping those healthy eating resolutions as easy as pizza pie! So, if you're looking for low-fat breakfast food, or healthy recipes with egg white, this recipe fits the bill!
🍕 Healthy Breakfast Pizza Recipe (egg white breakfast pizza)
- 1 12- inch giant whole wheat pita (Balady bread ) ** for gluten-free use a gluten-free pita bread
- 1 cup liquid egg whites *or 8 large eggs whites
- 1 -150 g -package of extra lean/low-fat honey maple ham deli slices (6-7 pieces) cut into approximately 1 inch squares)
- ⅔ cup pizza sauce your favourite brand
- 1 ½ tablespoon parmesan cheese fat-free
- ½ cup low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon chives (fresh preferrably) finely chopped * you can substitute green onion if you can't get your hands on chives
- ¾ cup mushrooms sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C
- Spray a 10" cast iron frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. If you don't have a cast iron frying pan, you can use a tart pan, a deep dish pizza pan or any 10" pan with raised edges.
- Set pita inside. Ensure that sides of pita are raised. Top pita with pizza sauce and half of the ham.
- Mix egg whites with chives and pour on top.
- Add remaining ham, then mushrooms and cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place on middle rack in prepared oven and bake for approximately 40- 50 minutes or until egg are set (no longer runny).
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days and reheat in microwave for approximately 45 seconds