THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS (SEE DISCLOSURE POLICY)
I created this holiday Gingerbread Lime Bar recipe a couple of years ago because I wanted something a little more festive than plain old lemon squares. This was an experiment in combining gingerbread and lime flavours that ended with amazing results! This has definitely become a family favourite and a Christmas baking staple in my house.
Actually, addictive is what they are! I was never even that big a big fan of gingerbread and perhaps it’s just the Skor toffee bits talking, but I can’t get enough of this one!
I added some green food colouring to make this lime bar a little more Christmasy and the green sparkling sugar to make it, well, a little more sparkly! But the sparkling sugar garnish is completely optional. These gingerbread cookie bars are already sweet and the sugar obviously adds to that. I really only add it for look. I also like to add a little powdered/icing sugar for a wintery feel.
This gingerbread desert bar recipe will add a unique and festive flair to your holiday baking tray. So if you are looking for lime bar recipes, you will love this festive take on the lime bar!
If you like this recipe, PIN IT for later ~!
TERRI’S AMAZON PICKS:
Aren’t these adorable!?
I have this exact Sugar Shaker and love it!
Gingerbread Lime Bars
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice the juice of about 2 limes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 - 3/4 tsp green food colouring, depending on how dark you want the green to be I use Wilton Kelly green icing color which I usually buy at Michael's Arts & Crafts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 X 13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Put base ingredients into food processor and mix until butter is evenly distributed and mixture clings together.
- Press dough into the bottom of baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 15- 18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, white granulated sugar and lime juice. In another bowl mix flour and baking powder, then stir into lime mixture, along with the lime zest and green food colouring.
- Immediately pour over baked crust and bake in preheated oven for 20 -25 minutes until filling is set. Cool in pan on wire rack.
Topping : sprinkle on as much green sparkling sugar as desired.
This recipe is part of The Country Cook’s Weekend Potluck link up!