It can be a challenge to come up with Halloween themed desserts that are different than the usual. This No Bake Boston Cream Halloween Pie is the perfect dessert and easy Halloween pie for your next Halloween gathering!
This Boston Cream Moon Pie is a popular at Halloween and fun and easy to make. It's like and inside out Boston Cream pie and it was inspired by my love of Boston cream donuts!
I have another Halloween potluck a few days from now and I still don’t know what I’m making, if I’m dressing up or what I’m dressing up as. But at least if I dress up, I know there will be lots of other people dressed up. It's our work potluck and I know (from past experience) that many people do dress up. But have you ever been the only one that dressed up for the party? Well, I have….
And it wasn’t fun. It reminded me of that scene from the movie, “Legally Blond,” you know, the one where she arrives at the so-called costume party in her Playboy Bunny costume and is the only one dressed up. She had been tricked by her ex boyfriend’s mean girlfriend. I sort of felt that way too. But at least I was dressed as Betty Crocker and I had a great dessert in tow – this Halloween Pie! Not a traditional pie, but no bake, easy, and fun, this Inside Out Boston Cream Moon Pie is the perfect easy dessert for Halloween parties.
I created this because big, full, bright Halloween moon with bats and witches have always been one of my favorite symbols of Halloween and also because I love No Bake Boston Cream Pie! If you are looking for cute Halloween Dessert Ideas and love Boston Cream pie, you will love this inside out version. It's the perfect spooky Halloween dessert!
For this recipe, you'll need:
- Oreo chocolate baking crumbs
- melted butter
- white granulated sugar
- semi-sweet baking chocolat
- corn syrup
- yellow food/icing color
- whipped cream *homemade or frozen dessert topping (Cool Whip)
- instant vanilla pudding *I use snack size
- white pound cake *or angel food cake or vanilla loaf cake
- Reese's peanut butter cups
- Oreo cookie (thins) sandwich cookies
- edible eyes
💭 Top Tip
Don't use grocery store food coloring- it will be difficult to get the right color. Instead I recommend you use a concentrated icing coloring, such as Wilton icing coloring (affiliate link)
This delicious pie is very easy to make and so are the chocolate bats. I got the chocolate bats from: Chelsea's Messy Apron - the ultimate bat party Head on over there for excellent step by step photo instructions on how to make these bats. Her photos are excellent! *But don't put the bats on this Halloween pie until right before serving!
And as far as easy no bake Halloween treats go, it’s so easy that the kids can help and the big kids could make it on their own. If you don’t want to bring Halloween cupcakes to your next Halloween potluck again, then give this easy and kid-friendly Halloween dessert a try!
Although my friend was not trying to trick me, she did claim that she’d be dressing up and that she was sure there would be other parents that would be dressed up as well. But when I got to the door, she was wearing a wig. A wig?! Really? A wig is not dressing up as far as I'm concerned. And as parents continued to filter into the party throughout the next couple of hours, to my utter dismay, not one other parent was dressed up. The really awkward part was that I didn’t know most of them.
However, the fortunate part was that I did recognize someone that I preferred didn't recognize me (for reasons I cannot explain in this post). And my costume was good enough that I was unrecognizable. So, I guess that being the only one 'incognito' did come in handy in the end. However, next time, I'm not sure I'll be dressing up.
- This Halloween pie recipe has a pie crust, but the rest is the consistency of a trifle. Before, serving, it's best to cut into the bottom to break it up, as you would a pie.
- If you do not plan to serve right away, refrigerate until ready to serve but do NOT put bats on until immediately before serving. They will get mushy, eyeballs run and they look awful (this happened to me).
Store this pie in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. *Do NOT cover it in plastic wrap (it will stick to the pudding and wreck it).
Whether you dress up or not, if you are looking for Halloween pie recipes, it's great to have an easy dessert in your back pocket and this No Bake Inside Out Boston Cream Halloween Moon Pie is that dessert! So step away from your typical apple pie, cherry pie or pumpkin pie and make this for dessert!
Here's another fun Halloween party recipe: My Phantom Pierogi Pizza Pops
And punch to go with it!
Did you make this Halloween Moon Pie recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
🌕 No Bake Boston Cream Halloween Pie Recipe
- ½ 400g box of Oreo chocolate baking crumbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 6 oz melted semi- sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon yellow gel paste food/icing colouring * don't use grocery store food coloring- it will be difficult to get the right color
- 2 cups whipped cream homemade or frozen dessert topping -e.g. Cool whip
- 12 99g containers snack size instant vanilla pudding * 3 packages of 4 pudding
- 1 270g - 370 g white pound, angel food or loaf cake sliced or broken up
- 4 miniature Reeses peanut butter cups
- 4 Oreo Chocolate (thins) Sandwich Cookies
- dabs frosting/icing * I use royal icing
- 8 Edible eyes
- Spray the inside of 10.5 inch round (2.5 inches deep) dessert dish OR 2 shallow (1.5 inch) - 9 inch pie plates with non-stick cooking spray. Note: For one 9 inch pie plate, cut recipe in half. Simply input the number of servings (8) and the recipe will automatically adjust quantities.
- Mix oreo cookie baking crumbs, ½ cup unsalted and melted butter and 2 tblsp white granulated sugar together in large bowl until they cling together. Press evenly into bottom of pie plate. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile: Melt semi-sweet chocolate in microwave on ½ power (50% on my microwave) for about 2 ½ - 3 minutes or until melted, then mix with ¼ cup melted butter and corn syrup. *NOTE: You can also choose to use a double boiler to melt chocolate for this step. **NOTE: be careful: If you cook the chocolate on too high of a temperature in the microwave or it comes in contact with any water, it will seize.
- Pour glaze evenly over oreo cookie mix, very gently spreading with a spatula, as to not break up the cookie or get the crumbs into the chocolate mixture. Evenly cover the entire area. Refrigerate until firm (about 15 minutes)
- Spread whipping cream evenly over the chocolate cookie crust, then add a sliced or broken up pieces of white cake.
- Add yellow gel food/icing coloring to vanilla pudding until you get desired colour of yellow. Set aside.
- Top with yellow vanilla pudding. Then use a butter knife to even out, until it’s flush with the edge of the pie plate, adding more or removing excess pudding, as needed.
Chocolate Bats: (**SEE NOTES)
- Remove the wrappers from the Reese's cups.
- Break the cookies in half and then separate all of the pieces from one another so you now have 8 "bat wings". Scrape off the frosting.
- Press one cookie piece on the left of the Reeses cup and another cookie piece on the right of the Reeses cup.
- Pipe frosting on the back of the edible eyes and secure on top of the center of the Reeses cup. Repeat for remaining 3 bats.
- Place bats on top of dessert. Serve immediately.***NOTE: If you do not plan to serve right away, refrigerate until ready to serve but do NOT put bats on until immediately before serving. They will get mushy, eyeballs run and they look awful (this happened to me).
👻More Halloween Recipes
- Boo Batter Ice Cream (no churn)
- Witches Brew Spumoni Trifle (with jello worms): A Halloween Potluck Dessert
- Halloween Jack o'lantern Candy Cupcakes
- Melting Witches Halloween Chocolate Bark
- Salted Toffee Caramel Halloween Apples
- NO FAIL Halloween Sugar Cookie Recipe & Tips for Decorating Halloween Cookies