I got a little tired of being the 4th person to show up to the Halloween party with dirt and worms.
And being that I'm Ukrainian, I love anything that even vaguely resembles a pierogi/perogy OR a pizza pop (pizza pocket), as do my kids. So this savory Halloween recipe seemed like the perfect combination. That was my inspiration for these Halloween Pierogi Pizza Pockets. I also wanted to create a fun, healthy and quick Halloween party snack for kids; one that they could even help to make themselves! These are also Weight Watchers friendly @ only 1 WW point on the blue plan!
Savory Halloween Food
I always struggled with what to make for a Halloween potluck. I'd spend way too much time looking up cute recipes online and they were either waaaay too involved or so popular you just knew that you wouldn't be the only one showing up with it. I wanted to do something original that wasn't another sweet recipe, so I created this savory Halloween snack recipe.
Halloween Finger Food
These ghost pierogi pizza pockets are healthier than your typical Halloween finger food since they are baked and not fried. They are also easy to make if you are pressed for time or you can easily make them ahead and freeze them. Best of all, they are unique, so you won't be the 4th person showing up with the same thing at the Halloween party. Served with a delicious easy dip made of your favorite pizza sauce and sour cream, they're sure to be a crowd pleaser. So, if you are looking for easy Halloween finger food ideas, then give this a try!
Pierogi Pizza Pockets
These healthy Halloween Phantom Pierogi Pizza Pockets are baked and not fried, easy to make and you can even make them ahead and freeze. They are a unique Halloween finger food to make for your own party or take along to a Halloween party.
If you are making these and you also want to get dinner made at the same time, then make a double batch, add some sauerkraut and you'll have these delicious Pierogi Zucchini Boats. That's what I did and my family loves both of these recipes!
Here's another couple of fun and easy Halloween recipes~!
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
Halloween Phantom Pierogi Pizza Pockets
- 1 -4 oz can of sliced black olives
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare mashed potatoes, as per package directions. Cool.
- Add remaining filling ingredients.
- Roll out dough into a large rectangle.
- Cut into circles with a round cookie cutter or rim of a mug or cup (about 3 inches wide)
- Drop about a teaspoon of mixture into middle of dough circle.
- Pull one edge down over the other, as you would a perogy and seal edges (you may need to use a little water if it won't seal)
- Then simply shape it into a phantom/ghoulish figure, as in the photo above. They don't all have to look identical. In fact, it's better if they don't.
- Add 2 sliced black olives for eyes and 1 for mouth (I do some without the mouth to mix them up a bit.)
- Bake in preheat oven for 8- 10 minutes (or until lightly browned on bottom).
- Dip: Mix your favourite pizza sauce and sour cream together and serve.