The school year has begun and if you are anything like me, you are thinking about getting back into a healthy routine.
And this Healthy Greek Pasta Toss with feta and spinach is the perfect dinner to help you achieve that! It’s not only healthy, it’s pure comfort food that’s quick (30 minutes) and easy. It was also featured in Taste of Home’s Simple & Delicious magazine.
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE summer, but it’s also a very indulgent time of the year for me, second only to Christmas. And I have to admit, that with being on vacation and all, I have slid off track.
Mediterranean pasta to the rescue! This pasta is chock-full of delicious Mediterranean flavors like feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, spinach, black olives and garlic. And the turkey sausage helps to keep it healthy and light!
Healthy Greek Pasta
Then there’s the question of which pasta to use. Whole wheat pasta is healthy but it takes a long time to cook and personally, I find it a bit too dense. I prefer to use “smart pasta” because it cooks faster than the whole wheat but you still get 4X as much fibre than if you ate white pasta. Although it’s not quite as healthy as the whole wheat, you are still getting that fibre. And if you’re not a fan of whole wheat, it’s a good alternative. Read More…
So, if you’re wanting to get back into healthier eating and are looking for quick, easy and delicious pasta dishes, then give this healthy Greek pasta recipe a try. It also works with shrimp or chicken and freezes well!
And if you like Greek Pasta, try my Easy Greek Pasta Salad
Healthy Greek Pasta Toss with spinach and feta
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat or *smart spiral pasta (*I use smart pasta rotini ) 7 oz.
- 3/4 lb Italian turkey sausage links casings removed (*or substitute shrimp or chicken)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 oz fresh baby spinach 5 cups
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek black olives halved
- 1/3 cup julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled light feta cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and coarsely crumble sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add to pasta.
- Stir in spinach, olives and sun-dried tomatoes; heat through, allowing spinach to wilt slightly. Stir in feta cheese.
- Garnish: If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
This post is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!