As a kid I dreamed of candy. And of course I always loved Halloween -trick or treating was so much fun! Neighbors giving away endless amounts of candy and all I was required to do was ring the doorbell?! Carrying one of those cute little plastic jack-o-lantern buckets to collect my candy in, with candy spilling out over the top, was definitely one of the highlights of the year!
This post contains affiliate links (See Disclosure Policy)
And these Halloween Jack o’lantern Cupcakes are just that – cute little jack o’lantern buckets filled with chocolate cupcakes that are filled with candies and topped with even more candies. Childhood dreams really do come true…
Halloween Candy Cupcakes
These Halloween candy cupcakes are perfect for a Halloween party because they are simple and fun to make and easily transported to wherever you are going! You’re probably going to dig into that Halloween candy before Halloween anyway, so why not use some to top these cupcakes off with it? The fun part is topping it with your favorites. I bought a variety bag and used some candy I had in the house but you could use any candy you desire. You can also use your favorite scratch chocolate cupcake recipe, a box mix or store-bought. And because these cupcakes aren’t scary looking they are great for kids (any age) and adults alike!
Besides going door to door to get candy, there are very few things that are more fun than busting something open to have candy spill out of it. And that’s what Pinata Cupcakes or surprise middle cupcakes are. The candy surprise inside makes this cupcake even more satisfying because there’s even more candy to be had than the candy you see on top!
And pinata cupcakes are surprisingly easy to make – all you need is an apple corer.
So, if you have a Halloween party or potluck coming up, then why not take along these easy Halloween Jack o’lantern Bucket Cupcakes?!
And if you’re looking for more Halloween recipes, check these out:
Halloween Jack o'lantern Bucket Cupcakes
- apple corer
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
you can use any chocolate cake recipe, use a cake mix or store-bought cupcakes * I recommend my Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake (see NOTES) which I used for these
- 2 boxes smarties ('scaries') or candies (to fill cupcake) * Scaries are the Halloween smarties
- 3 cups chocolate frosting * I recommend my Chocolate Whipped Cream Buttercream frosting (see recipe NOTES)
- 12 pieces black licorice
- variety of candies for topping
- 12 orange paper ice cream/dessert cups (6 oz)
- black marker
- Bake cupcakes as per recipe instructions
- When cupcakes are cooled, use an apple corer to remove centres of cupcakes and set aside centres
- Fill cupcake with smarties or other small candies to ¾ full
- Cut centres in half and only put top half back into hole in cupcakes
- Top cupcakes with frosting
- Draw a pumpkin/jack o'lantern face on each orange cup
- Gently set cupcake inside orange cup.
- Add a piece of black licorice as the handle, securing on each side of the cupcake (it should slide in and stay on each side of the cupcake, but you can use a little icing to make it stick if you need to)
- Top with candies and serve!