This is one of my favorite leftover ham recipes. It’s healthy, easy, flavorful and has a little kick! But what I love most about it is that it’s a little different than the usual.
This Healthy Leftover Ham, Rice & Beans is only 6 WW freestyle smart points per serving so you can enjoy this guilt-free after a big holiday meal!
I have always been a holiday turkey gal, but sometimes I want to mix it up and have ham! My Picnic ham with orange glaze is a family favorite and it’s also really easy to make.
Either way, I always have leftovers and that’s a good thing. I used to struggle with what to do with it; there is only so much ham and split pea soup one can eat.
Healthy leftover ham recipes
But now I make this and along with my other leftover ham recipes (below), I’m covered and so are you! So, if you want to make this recipe, you can use a store-bought cooked ham, cook an easy picnic ham, like my Picnic ham with orange glaze or bake a regular ham- it’s super verstatile and incredibly delicious! Whenever I make this recipe, it’s gobbled up in no time.
Ham and Rice Recipes
Leftovers are really the best because they save money, prevent food waste, make dinner easy and even serve as your lunch the next day, And hey, there’s not a lot of things in this world that are better than leftover leftovers, right?! And leftover Ham and Rice recipes are even better because I always have both ham and rice leftover.
Leftover Ham and Rice
This Healthy Leftover Ham, Rice and Beans recipe is not only healthy, it’s easy, flavorful and has a little kick! But best of all it’s a little different than your typical leftover ham recipes and it’s Weight Watchers Friendly at only 6 WW points on the blue plan per serving! So if you are ready to move on from ham and split pea soup and try something new and healthy then give this a try. And here are a couple of additional leftover ham over recipes you can add to your repertoire:
And be sure to check out my Leftovers Reinvented Board on Pinterest!
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
Leftover Ham, Rice and Beans
- 2 cups leftover ham, diced into ¾ inch - 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole onion. chopped
- 28 oz - can diced tomatoes
- 12 oz - can kernal corn
- 1 whole green pepper , chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 18 oz -can, red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups brown instant rice, cooked
- Cook instant brown rice as per package directions, then set aside.
- Dice ham
- In large pot/saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, green pepper then add ham, onion and garlic, stirring constantly for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, corn, bay leaf, hot pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mash half of the kidney beans (I use a fork) and mix in.
- Then add the remaining whole beans. Cook, stirring frequently for another 15 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and stir thoroughly. Serve hot.
This recipe is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!