This is yet another recipe that was born out of necessity. My friend was coming for dinner, I had no plan and no time to make anything in advance, so I grabbed a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Then I made this Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwich!
It was perfect because it's a super quick and easy dinner that uses rotisserie chicken, so it requires no actual cooking. These Shredded Buffalo Chicken sandwiches are WW friendly (5 WW points on my plan), with a delicious caraway coleslaw are quick, easy and no cook. They're a great option for a summer dinner or anytime you need a fast no cook meal!
I am a little bit buffalo chicken crazy -I love buffalo chicken! And I love it even more when it's easy to make. And if you feel the same way, you have come to the right place! My Buffalo Chicken Celery Sticks (no cook), Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Pizza Bites and my Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers are made with leftover rotisserie chicken.
For this rotisserie chicken sandwich recipe, you'll need:
- rotisserie chicken
- buffalo sauce * I use Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce
- whole wheat bun
- broccoli slaw
- green onion
- caraway seed
- apple cider vinegar
- white granulated sugar
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Coleslaw: you can use any coleslaw you like with this recipe, but this one is sooo good!
- Chicken: you can use cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (you don't have to use a pre-made rotisserie chicken)
- Buffalo chicken sauce: If you are feeding people that aren't as crazy about spicy buffalo sauce as you are (although it's hard to imagine), like some members of my family that don't like spicy food, then substitute BBQ sauce! You could also use a homemade buffalo sauce or Frank's Red Hot Sauce.
- Buns: Use any type of sandwich buns you prefer, such as brioche buns or kaiser buns. Or use slider buns and make them into a great game day snack!
- Add-ins: you can add a little blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles or a drizzle of ranch dressing, if you like
Shredding and pulling are interchangeable terms when it comes to chicken. And with this sandwich, you pull (or shred) rotisserie chicken the exact same way you would pull pork (see video: How to pull chicken ) It's so easy to do so it's also a great way to get the kids helping with dinner!
💭 Top tip
I also recently discovered that you can quickly and easily 'pull ' or shred chicken using your mixer (video) for this buffalo chicken recipe. You simply add pieces of chicken to the bowl and turn on the mixer. But it can get a little messy so beware!
👪 Serving Size
This shredded buffalo chicken sandwich recipe makes 4 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
🥗 Side dishes
- I usually serve this with fresh carrot sticks, cucumbers or kimchi.
- It goes well with spinach salad as well.
- You can serve it with soup if you want a bigger meal. I like it with borscht (shown). Try it with any one of my soups!
For this spicy sandwich, you will need a large mixing bowl, a spoon and if you are shredding/pulling by hand, you'll need 2 forks. If you want to do it the quick way, you'll need a stand mixer (affiliate link)
Store the coleslaw in a separate airtight container from the buffalo chicken for up to 3 days in the fridge. These ingredients do not stand up well to freezing.
Store bought rotisserie chicken is the best because there's so much you can do with it. It costs almost the same as buying a chicken and cooking it (minus the labor) so why wouldn't I; especially if I'm in a hurry, it's too hot to cook or I simply want a break from cooking? Sometimes I eat rotisserie chicken straight up, but I also love to transform it into something different and this buffalo chicken sandwich is both satisfying and healthy. The coleslaw is quick and easy to make and balances the texture with a nice crunch!
And if you are making less than 4 sandwiches or find that you have rotisserie chicken leftovers, then reinvent them into these Easy Chicken Quesadillas with rotisserie chicken!
Between work, after school activities and whatever else you have going on, life is busy and sometimes you just don't have the time or energy to cook, but still want a hot meal. So if you are looking for easy recipes, then why not grab a precooked rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and put this No Cook Buffalo Pulled Chicken Sandwich on the menu? Enjoy....
Did you LOVE this buffalo shredded chicken sandwich recipe? If so, please leave a 5 star rating and comment below!
Please SUBSCRIBE (get my FREE E-cookbook) and be sure to FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST!
📋 Shredded Buffalo Chicken Sandwich recipe
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, shredded/pulled * see video in notes for pulling chicken (same method as pork)
- ½ cup buffalo sauce * I use Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 375 g -bag of broccoli slaw
- ½ cup green onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise (light) * I use Hellman's ½ the fat
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Shred/pull chicken as per video instructions in notes (do not use the skin). Then mix with buffalo sauce.
- Combine all coleslaw ingredients together and mix.
- Slice buns in half and add buffalo pulled chicken to bottom half, dividing between all 4 buns.
- Top with coleslaw, again, dividing between all 4 buns. Serve immediately.
I'm a big fan of how convenient this recipe is, and I love buffalo sauce, great idea!
This is a great idea for using a rotisserie chicken, Terri. We get them sometimes when we just don't want to cook, and it's great to have another idea for using them. Thanks for sharing!
Thank, Colleen. Yes, it's hard to believe that those of that LOVE cooking just don't want to cook sometimes, but it's true!
Isabelle @ Crumb
What a great way to transform a storebought chicken into a flavourful meal. I bet it would be a super-delicious way to use up leftover turkey, too!
Thanks, Isabelle! I agree -it would make an excellent leftover turkey sandwich as well!
Matt - Total Feasts
Love a good meal with limited prep! Plus, who doesn’t love a spicy sandwich!
I agree, Matt! Spicy sandwiches are the bomb!
Such a great idea for rotisserie chicken instead of just eating it "as is!" Thanks! Pinning!
This is such a great way to upgrade rotisserie chicken and an awesome recipe for quick weeknight meal!
thanks, Yvonne! That's what I like about it too 🙂
Leanne @ Crumb Top Baking
I just love a sandwich that's overflowing with filling and toppings! I would make such a mess eating this pulled chicken sandwich, but it would absolutely be worth it! Great recipe Terri!
I also make a mess of it(haha) but that's the fun part, right?