Over the years I spent many hours at The Joshua Tree Cafe, sipping yummy mocha lattes, chatting with friends and munching on Tree Burgers.
If you’ve never had the pleasure of enjoying a Tree Burger, then allow me to introduce you to this delicious Chicken Burger Recipe. With diced chicken breast, sauteed mushrooms, cheese, ranch dressing and cucumbers, it’s not only healthy, it’s easy too (9 WW blue plan points)!
The Joshua Tree cafe was a cafe I frequented for many years. It was fantastic place to go for coffee or lunch with friends and colleagues. It had comfy couches, lots of windows, a fabulous casual atmosphere and was central, so perfect for meeting up with friends that lived in different parts of the city. Obviously I was heartbroken when the restaurant suddenly closed down.
And although it had changed hands a few times over the years, new menu items were added and taken away, the Tree Burger always remained. It was a constant and I was grateful for that. But then the Joshua Tree closed and sadly, there were no more Tree Burgers for me. So one day, overcome with nostalgia and an overwhelming craving for this delicious chicken sandwich, I was inspired to recreate my beloved Tree Burger from memory.
Chicken burger recipe
Given that it’s probably been almost a decade since I had an actual Tree Burger from The Joshua Tree, my memory may not be totally accurate. But fortunately for me, the cafe had an open grill area behind the serving counter and I was able to walk by on the way to the washroom and check on the progress of my Tree burger. And that’s how I knew how they were made! But even if you have had a tree burger and this isn’t an exact replica, you’ll have to agree that it’s still a darn good chicken burger recipe. My family never had a Tree Burger before and they LOVED it!
Healthy chicken burger
You really can’t go wrong with a healthy chicken burger that’s smothered in mushrooms and melted cheese. Chicken burgers are really a great option for a healthy lunch or dinner. I bring them to work a lot because these leftovers are easy to throw in the lunch bag, heat in the microwave and even eat on the go or at your desk. I have potato chips in the photos, but you could serve it with veggies instead or anything you prefer. I can’t actually recall how they served it at the Joshua Tree, but I think it may have been with both veggies and chips.
Chicken breast burger recipe
This recipe uses diced chicken breast and not an entire chicken breast, making it more economical! I’m guessing that’s why the restaurant made it that way. And it’s unique; this is actually the first and only time I’ve ever seen a chicken burger made this way. So if you’re looking for a chicken burger that’s different, delicious, healthy and can be made right on your stove top, give this one a try. Calgary may not have the Joshua Tree anymore, but the Tree Burger lives on!
And if you LOVE easy chicken sandwiches, then give my No Cook Buffalo Pulled Chicken Sandwich a try too.
My Amazon recommendations:
Chicken Burger Recipe - "Tree Burger"
- 4 chicken breasts
- 6 whole wheat buns * you can use any type of bun
- 225 g mushrooms *fresh
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated * approximately- add more to your liking
- 6 tbsp ranch dressing * I use Lighthouse because it's my fave
- 1 cucumber sliced
- Spray a frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cook chicken breast over medium heat until no longer pink. Chop into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, spray a separate frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and sautee mushrooms over medium heat with a 1/4 tsp salt. Keep lid on and check frequently until done.
- Divide chicken into 6 servings, as well as mushrooms (set aside servings while you are cooking the others)
- Top diced chicken with mushrooms.
- Then add grated cheese, dividing evenly between servings. Cover with a lid, cooking over medium heat until cheese is melted.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of ranch dressing to each side of each bun, dividing between all burger buns, then add cucumbers, also dividing evenly between buns.
- Slide chicken, mushroom and cheese mixture onto prepared bun bottom and add top of bun.
- Serve with chips, sliced veggies or whatever you like!