As far as I’m concerned, pizza is like chocolate- a completely necessary part of life. Yet it’s probably not something you want to be indulging in too regularly if you are trying to eat healthy, but especially if you are trying to lose weight or even maintain your weight.
So, in order to get my pizza fix a little more regularly, I’ve had to come up with workarounds. And these easy Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Pizza Bites are a just that – a completely delicious and satisfying workaround! A little spicy, low-carb, Weight Watchers friendly (@ only 1 Weight Watchers smart point each -blue plan) they are the perfect healthy appetizer and game day treat!
Buffalo Chicken Recipes
These zucchini pizza bites hit all the right notes because they are a pizza AND buffalo chicken snack in one delicious little bite! I’ve already declared my love for pizza here and if you’ve been following along with me for a while, you may have noticed that I’m also just a little buffalo chicken crazy! And if you are too, then check out my other buffalo chicken recipes: Buffalo Chicken Celery Sticks, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Mini Peppers and my No Cook Pulled Buffalo Chicken Sandwich!
What’s Buffalo Chicken?
You may be wondering what the heck buffalo chicken is anyway? Well, it’s chicken (originally in the form of chicken wings only) cooked in a spicy sauce. Buffalo chicken wings were born out of a bar in Buffalo, New York in the mid 1960’s (hence the name) and their popularity only grew from there. Now buffalo chicken takes many delicious forms, including these zucchini pizza bites! You can read more about the origins of buffalo chicken HERE!
I love appetizers, so much so that I can easily make a meal out of them. My fave is watching movies and eating a finger food buffet on the weekends! But I like to keep the menu relatively healthy, but still fun, with enjoyable treats. And that’s why these healthy appetizers are also perfect for game day, cause we know how hard a buffet of delicious finger foods can be when you’re trying to stay on track.
Zucchini Pizza Bites
I fell in love with zucchini pizza bites the first time I tried them. I love that they are so healthy, but you get your pizza fix. So when I was thinking about a great game day snack, they instantly came to mind! The spicy buffalo chicken is a natural pairing and the ranch dressing is the crowning glory!
So, if you’re wanting a game day snack that’s healthy, delicious and low WW points, then give this one a try! You can have your healthy appetizer and pizza fix too.
And if you’re looking for additional low-carb (keto), healthy appetizers, then check these out:
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Pizza Bites
- 2 whole medium zucchinis sliced
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce 1/2 teaspoon per bite
- 1 1/2 cup pulled or shredded chicken * I use leftover rotisserie chicken, but you can use any type of chicken
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce *I use Franks' Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ranch dressing
- crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and spray a cookie sheets with non-stick spray.
- Slice both zucchinis into 12 circles (about a 1/4 inch thick) and place on cookie sheet, leaving space between.
- Cook zucchini for 2 minutes on each side.
- Pull chicken (see video in NOTES) Then mix buffalo sauce with chicken.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of pizza sauce to the top of each piece of zucchini.
- Then add about a heaping teaspoon of buffalo chicken, dividing evenly among the 24 pieces. *However, don't add too much or it will slide off; you may have a little left over.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, dividing evenly between all the zucchini bites.
- Return to oven for 2 additional minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
- Garnish with a small dollop of ranch dressing and for extra spicy, sprinkle with crushed red pepper if desired. Serve warm.