I thought they were gone forever - all of them. But then my Auntie Tania said she had the recipe for the Rhubarb Coffee Cake that Baba used to make! This is the cake that made me love rhubarb. It was Baba's favorite, she told me. I remember she used to make it all the time, often sending it home with us. I even ate it for breakfast on occasion. Most importantly, it's the only recipe I have of hers, so it's beyond special! And that's why I'm sharing it here, with you...
If you have fresh rhubarb this spring, this is the cake you need to make! However, you can use frozen rhubarb as well. This Rhubarb Coffee Cake with streusel topping, is moist, delicious and will make your rhubarb sing! And while we're on the subject of rhubarb, I would also recommend you try my other rhubarb recipes: Rhubarb Squares, Sticky Rhubarb Pudding, No Bake Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake, No Bake Rhubarb Dessert, my Healthy Rhubarb Muffins, Stewed Rhubarb Recipe (with Strawberry Gelatin)and my 2 Ingredient Rhubarb Lemonade!
We had a late start to spring, so although it's officially rhubarb season, my rhubarb is a bit small for mid-May. But fortunately, I was able to get some fresh rhubarb at my local grocery store. Hopefully I'll be harvesting my own by mid-summer!
You'll need the following ingredients for this Rhubarb Sour Cream Coffee Cake (cake and topping). The 4 dishes, at the bottom of the photo, for the topping (sugar, salt, flour and cinnamon):
- white granulated sugar
- baking soda
- all purpose flour
- sour cream
- fresh rhubarb
- unsalted butter
*See recipe card for quantities.
How do you make rhubarb coffee cake?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C and spray a 9X13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, add, egg, flour, sour cream, salt, baking soda and sugar.
- Beat with electric hand mixer, on medium speed, until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Fold in rhubarb with spoon.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut butter into flour mixture (see Top Tip). Mix until crumbly and combined.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over top of batter.
⏲️ Baking time
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Sugar- you can use brown sugar instead of white sugar for the topping, if you prefer.
- Rhubarb- use fresh or frozen (defrosted) rhubarb
- Butter- you can use salted butter, but just skip the salt in the recipe!
- Add-ins - you can add nuts to the topping (almonds, pecans or walnuts) if you like.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes 12 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You'll just need additional cake pans.
You can use any type of 9X13 inch baking pan/cake pan but it will need to be 3-4 inches deep. You'll need mixing bowls and spoons, as well as an electric mixer.
Store this rhubarb cake in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. This cake can be frozen for up to 3 months in a sealed container.
I love to keep my butter frozen and grate it directly into my recipes. It's easier and less messy!
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
❔ Frequently Asked Questions
What makes a coffee cake a coffee cake
Coffee cake is a single layer sweet cake with a cinnamon-infused flavor and streusel top made from flour, butter, and sugar. It is meant to be eaten with a cup of coffee.
Yes, you can use frozen rhubarb in cake. Just be sure to defrost it and drain off excess liquid, but do NOT squeeze out the liquid.
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
If you're looking for a great way to use up that extra rhubarb in your garden in a scrumptious and tender cake, this Easy Rhubarb Cake Recipe is one the entire family will love! It's perfect with a cup of coffee (even for breakfast 🙂 )!
Did you make this Rhubarb Coffee Cake recipe? If you loved it, please leave a 5 star rating and a comment below!
Here's what others are saying! "I love rhubarb but this recipe takes my love to a whole new level. This is super delicious!!" ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
📋 Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 ½ cup fresh rhubarb * can use frozen (defrosted)
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter (unsalted)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C and spray a 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix egg, flour, baking soda, salt, sour cream and sugar together.
- Beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Fold in rhubarb with spoon.
- Pour into a prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter (see Top Tip)
- Mix until crumbly and sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.