It's rhubarb season again and if you love rhubarb, you'll love this Sticky Rhubarb Pudding! It's a unique and delicious non-traditional rhubarb recipe that's sort of like a pudding cake. It's also easy, quick, and a little indulgent, because well, sometimes you just need to indulge.
My Rhubarb Square is another one of those recipes that are worth the indulgence (to die for, actually!) Full confession: I did try to lighten this Rhubarb Pudding Cake and cut the fat and sugar, but learned that the sugar and butter made it good. There are just some things you don't mess with! So, if you want to indulge a little and have some rhubarb kicking around, then you'll love this delicious recipe!
I got this recipe from my Auntie Sue (she had it forever) and my first thought was, "Where have you been all my life?!" Granted, I am a bit crazy about rhubarb, but this is truly one of those old-timey gems!
For this baked sticky rhubarb pudding recipe, you'll need:
- rhubarb * you can use fresh or frozen
- all-purpose flour
- white sugar
- milk * I use 1%
- unsalted butter
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar/icing sugar
*See recipe card for quantities
How to make Baked Rhubarb Sticky Pudding
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. Grease an 8 or 9-inch square pan. Pour chopped rhubarb into the bottom.
- In a large bowl combine flour, white granulated sugar, milk, melted butter, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Pour over rhubarb and spread evenly.
- In another small bowl, combine powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- Scoop mixture evenly over top of the batter mixture.
- Pour cold water over top of the powdered sugar mixture.
⏲️ Baking time
Bake this Rhubarb Pudding cake recipe in a preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes, and serve in serving bowls.
Garnish: Top with whipping cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can also add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon if you like.
📖Variations & Substitutions
This Rhubarb Cake Pudding recipe can be altered for your preference, dietary restrictions, and convenience:
- Dairy -free -use vegan margarine and dairy-free milk (soy, almond, oat etc...)
- Rhubarb - you can use fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb *If you use frozen rhubarb, just make sure you defrost it completely and drain it, but don't squeeze the liquid out. * I used frozen rhubarb for this recipe.
- Sugar - you could substitute brown sugar for the white granulated sugar
What to serve with Rhubarb Pudding:
Here are some recommendations for what to serve with rhubarb pudding:
- Cajun Chicken Avocado Mango Salad
- Slow Cooker Beef on a bun
- Spring Salad with Fiddleheads & Blackberry Vinaigrette (shown)
- Greek Chicken Burger recipe
👪 Serving Size
This Sticky Rhubarb Pudding recipe makes 8 servings. However, you can half, double, or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
For this Baked Sticky Rhubarb Pudding recipe, you'll need a mixing bowl, spoon and an 8 or 9 inch square pan. You do NOT need an electric mixer.
Store this sticky rhubarb pudding in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
If you're looking for the best rhubarb dessert, try this Baked Rhubarb Sticky pudding. It's a tasty, unique, and delicious spring dessert and a great way to make the most of your rhubarb.
And if you are interested in more rhubarb desserts be sure to try my Rhubarb Cookies and check out even more rhubarb recipes below the recipe card!
📋Sticky Rhubarb Pudding Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C. Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Pour chopped rhubarb in the bottom.
- In a bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, milk, melted butter, baking powder and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Pour over rhubarb and spread evenly.
- In another bowl, combine powdered sugar and cornstarch.
- Scoop mixture evenly over top of rhubarb and batter mixture.
- Pour water over top.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cool and serve.
- Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. You can also add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon, if you like.