Do you only have a small amount of rhubarb? Or do you only want to make a small rhubarb crisp? Or maybe you don't want to heat up your house making rhubarb crisp? OR you simply just need an easy rhubarb crisp STAT!? If you said "YES!" to any of these statements, then this is your Rhubarb Crisp recipe!
This individual rhubarb crisp is an easy dessert made with a small amount of rhubarb and cooked in a mug in the microwave! This recipe is popular during rhubarb season (April until July) but great any time of year (made with frozen rhubarb). It was inspired by my Healthy Apple Crisp in a Mug on this site! If you're looking for recipes for rhubarb crisp or for using up a small amount of rhubarb, you'll love this version! It's a quick and delicious way to get your rhubarb crisp fix.
If you don't grow your own rhubarb, you can often find it at the grocery store or at a Farmer's Market during rhubarb season.
This easy rhubarb crisp recipe has quite a bit of sugar to balance out the tart rhubarb, but you can reduce it to your liking or use a sugar substitute, if you prefer.
For this microwave crisp recipe, you'll need:
- fresh rhubarb (or frozen rhubarb)
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- white granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- unsalted butter
- quick rolled oats
- orange zest
- whipped cream (optional)
*See recipe card for quantities
Cooking rhubarb in the microwave:
Cooking rhubarb in the microwave is quick and easy!
Filling: Toss chopped rhubarb with brown sugar, white sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon and flour.
Take a microwave safe mug and fill it with the rhubarb mixture.
Topping: In a small bowl combine flour, quick oats, brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon. Cut the butter in to create the crisp topping (or see top tip in post for grating frozen butter)
Spoon the crisp topping over the rhubarb mixture. Place in the microwave oven and cook on high for about- 2 ½ minutes or until the butter is melted into the topping. *Cooking time is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary between 2-3 minutes.
Hint: Carefully remove from the microwave (I use an oven mitt) and let stand until cool enough to eat. Be careful because it's going to be really hot at first! When it has cooled a little mix it together for best taste results, then add the whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream, cinnamon, and orange zest garnish (optional)
📖Variations & Substitutions
- WW friendly - use a light butter or margarine and a sugar substitute (like Monk fruit)
- Dairy-free - use vegan margarine ( I use Becel)
- Rhubarb- you can use fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb for this recipe (see top tip for using frozen)
Store this recipe for rhubarb crisp for one in and airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Alternatively, once the mug has completely cooled, cover it in plastic wrap and store it right in the mug, in the fridge. You can also freeze it in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
👪 Serving Size
This is a single serving rhubarb crisp so it makes 1 serving. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You'll just need a larger mug (I doubled the recipe for the very large mug in the photos) or additional mugs and additional cooking time. You can serve this easy rhubarb crisp in a mug or in a dessert dish!
Frozen Rhubarb: if you are making rhubarb crisp with frozen rhubarb it's really important to completely defrost and drain the rhubarb first, then measure. It shrinks in the freezing process. *don't measure it frozen
Keep your butter in the freezer and grate it into the crisp - it's so much easier and less mess!
There is no sacrificing taste with making Rhubarb Crisp in the microwave. The only difference is that you save time and don't heat up your house. Plus, you have a delicious single serving of rhubarb crisp in only a few minutes. So if you are looking for quick and easy recipes for rhubarb crisp to savor the taste of summer, you'll love this one!
And if you love fruit crisps and crumbles, give my Mixed Berry Crumble (with Lemon, Mint & Coconut) a try!
Did you LOVE this easy rhubarb crisp recipe? If so, please leave a 5 star rating and comment below!
📋 Microwave Rhubarb Crisp (in a mug)
- ¾ cup rhubarb (fresh or frozen) * if using frozen, see Top Tips
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon quick rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (cold or frozen - see top tips)
- 2 light whipped cream * I use light real whipped cream (spray bottle)
- Toss chopped rhubarb with brown sugar, white sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon and flour.
- Take a microwave safe mug and fill it with the rhubarb filling.
- In a small bowl stir in the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon. Cut the cold butter in with a pastry blender to create the crisp topping (or see top tip in post for grating frozen butter)
- Spoon the crisp mixture over the top of the fruit filling. Microwave for about- 2 ½ minutes or until the butter is melted into the topping. Cooking time is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary between 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the microwave (I use an oven mitt) and let stand until cool enough to eat. Be careful because it's going to be really hot at first!
- Enjoy warm or cold with whipped cream or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon and additional orange zest.