It's Stampede time again and baked beans are a staple around Cowtown during Stampede. And this Slow Cooker New England Baked Beans recipe is the perfect summer side dish because it's so easy! You dump everything into a crockpot and go. It uses canned beans so you don't have to worry about fussing with boiling or soaking dried beans. You can make it in advance, and because it's made in the crockpot, you don't have to heat up your house either!
Baked beans are also great for bringing along to potluck dinners, BBQs, family gatherings, or for feeding a crowd. This recipe pairs perfectly with my Slow Cooker Beef on a Bun, Sparkling Strawberry Punch (non-alcoholic) with carnival style mini donuts for dessert!
You'll need the following ingredients for this New England baked beans with navy beans recipe:
- Navy beans (canned)
- bacon *I use pre-cooked
- canned diced tomatoes
- cold water
- brown sugar
- maple syrup*I use low-sugar
- dry mustard
- bay leaf
- maple extract (optional)
- black pepper (optional)
*See recipe card for quantities.
This is the best-baked bean recipe because it is so easy to make! These slow cooker baked beans don't require any slaving over a hot stove- just put everything in the slow cooker and walk away for 5+ hours!
Add all ingredients in slow cooker.
Mix until combined.
Cooking Time: Cover and cook on LOW for 5.5 hours or until mixture is thickened. Remove bay leaf and add maple extract (optional) before serving.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Beans - you could use a different type of bean such as Great Northern beans or use dried beans. You will just need to soak and boil the dried beans.
- Bacon - I use bacon instead of salt pork, which many recipes call for. And I use pre-cooked bacon because it's faster. However, you could use regular bacon or lighten it up with turkey bacon
- Vegetarian - leave out the bacon, but add a little seasoning salt (½ tsp) and skip the regular salt
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes or chili powder while cooking to imbue heat into the dish
- Syrup - if you don't have maple syrup, use regular syrup and add more (½ tsp) maple extract at the end of the cooking process
- WW friendlier - lighten it up using turkey bacon, a sugar substitute, and sugar-free maple syrup
Although this baked bean recipe was adapted from a slow cooker cookbook and called New England Baked Beans, it's really more of a combination of Boston Baked Beans and traditional New England (specifically Vermont) baked beans.
Traditionally Boston Baked Beans have salt pork and molasses, but no maple syrup, whereas Vermonters have their own version of Baked Beans with bacon instead of salt pork and maple syrup instead of molasses. This recipe uses both maple syrup and molasses, for a sweet flavor, with bacon. You can read more about the history of baked beans HERE.
🥗 Main Dishes
What goes well with baked beans?
These beans are great for bringing along to a summer cookouts or potluck and go great with sandwiches and grilled meats such as:
What to do with leftover baked beans?
- Beans on toast with eggs- makes a great breakfast! (shown below)
- Baked bean aioli
- Beans with brown bread
- Spicy bean dip
- Add to baked potatoes (and top with bacon and cheese)
- Use in breakfast burritos instead of refried beans
You'll need a slow cooker for this bean recipe, as well as a knife and cutting board.
Store these baked beans in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can freeze these slow cooker baked beans for up to 3 months in a sealed container.
👪 Serving Size
This Slow Cooker Baked Bean recipe makes 6 servings so a serving is ⅙ of the recipe. However, you can half, double, or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. A 6-quart crock pot will hold 3x the recipe!
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
Slow cooking gives this delicious baked beans recipe a depth of flavor like no other. So if you are looking for an easy baked beans recipe, you'll love this traditional side dish!
⭐ COMMENTS & REVIEWS
Did you know that commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways to support your favorite recipe creators? If you loved this recipe, please comment and rate it in the recipe card or share photos on social media using the hashtag #foodmeanderings or tagging @foodmeanderings !
📋Slow Cooker New England Baked Beans Recipe
- 3 15 ounce -cans navy beans rinsed
- 4 slices pre cooked bacon * use chopped
- ⅔ cup diced tomato drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¾ cup water
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon molasses
- 4 tablespoon maple syrup * I use low sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon maple extract (optional)
- ¼ tsp black pepper (optional)
- Place beans in slow cooker, then add all other ingredients.
- Mix together.
- Cover and cook on low for on 5.5 hours or until mixture is thickened (like a very thick stew). Remove bay leaf and add maple extract (optional) before serving.