I was working on my Weight Watchers Apple Crisp post and it looked sooo good that I started craving it really badly and I needed apple crisp STAT! Yet I didn't want to make an entire pan of apple crisp. That's exactly how this Microwave Apple Crisp in a Mug was born.
If you love microwave mug desserts, have a sweet tooth and are looking for a healthy, quick dessert or single serving apple crisp, that's also Weight Watchers friendly, this is the one!
It took a few tries to get it right and reduce the WW point, but I finally succeeded! And even as I am writing this post I had to go make myself this mug apple crisp!
For this mug apple crisp recipe, you'll need:
- fresh apples- you can use any type but I find green Granny Smith apples are the best!
- brown sugar
- butter- I use light as it's 3 WW points, instead of 5, but you could use regular
- flour- I use all-purpose, but you can use whole wheat
- oats - you'll need to use quick oats for this recipe because they cook faster
- butter extract (affiliate link)-is a great substitute for butter, as it gives butter flavor without all the calories. You can simply use 1 teaspoon of additional butter if you don't have it and aren't worried about the additional calories/WW points or you can use vanilla extract (but it won’t taste as buttery)
- whipped cream - light real whipped cream in spray can (Gay Lea or Dairyland brand is 1 WW point for 4 tbsp)
*See recipe card for quantities
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Brown sugar: you can use a sugar substitute to further reduce the WW points, if that's your preference, but I don't like to sugar substitutes
- Butter- I use light but you can use regular (salted or unsalted)
- Apples - use any type, but some variations may get mushier
- Gluten-free - use a gluten-free flour
Step 1: Peel, core and chop apples, then toss them with ½ tablespoon of the brown sugar, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon butter extract and 2 tbsps of the whipped cream.
Step 2: Add water and cornstarch and stir together.
Step 3: In a small bowl stir in the rolled oats, flour, and remaining brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter to create the crisp topping.
Step 4: Take a Microwaveable mug and fill with the apple mixture. Spoon the crisp mixture over the top. Microwave for 2- 2 ½ minutes. the apples should be bubbling and the whole thing will reduce in size. Cooking time is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary, depending of the wattage of your microwave. * 2 minutes and 20 seconds was perfect for me!
I love easy recipes like this that only requires putting ingredients into a mug, popping it in the microwave and having a delicious dessert in under 3 minutes! If you also love quick and easy microwave mug recipes, you'll not only love this microwave apple crisp, I'm betting you'll love my WW friendly Microwave Chocolate Banana Mug Cake and my Microwave Omelette in a Mug too!
👪 Serving size
Sometimes 1 is all you need and obviously, this healthy apple crisp for one, serves only 1. However, you can easily adjust the recipe to serve as many as you need. Simply click on the blue serving size, choose the numbers of servings you'd like, and the amounts will adjust accordingly. I'd still recommend making them in separate mugs.
This recipe is Weight Watchers friendly @ 8 WW pts on my plan. You can plug the ingredients into the recipe builder in the appt to see how much it is on your plan.
You can use any type of microwave safe coffee mug for this easy apple crisp! I also like to use an apple corer to core my apples and a vegetable peeler (affiliate links) to peel them.
Store this apple crisp in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. You could also cover the mug in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge that way.
💭 Top tip
IF you make this recipe with more than one mug, the microwave time will be longer (an additional 15 seconds per mug, at least.)
This sweet treat is a tasty little cup of fall and the perfect way to enjoy apples this autumn (or anytime of the year!)
So if you love mug cakes or you're looking for mug apple crisps, you'll love this easy and healthy version. And be sure to try my Microwave Rhubarb Crisp (in a mug) too!
Did you love this microwave mug apple crisp recipe? If so, please leave a 5 star rating and comment in the comments section below!
Please SUBSCRIBE (get my FREE E-cookbook) and be sure to FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST!
📋 Healthy Apple Crisp in a Mug Recipe
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large apple (preferably green) peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ tsp butter extract
- 2 tablespoon light whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 light whipped cream
- Peel, core and chop apples, then toss apple slices with ½ tablespoon of the brown sugar, and ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon butter extract and 2 tbsps of the whipped cream.
- Add water and cornstarch and stir together.
- In a small bowl stir in the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir in the melted butter to create the crisp topping.
- Take a microwaveable mug, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and fill with the apple mixture. Spoon the crisp mixture over the top. Microwave for 2- 2 ½ minutes. the apples should be bubbling and the whole thing will reduce in size. Cooking time is based on my 1200W microwave so your timing might vary. * 2 minutes and 20 seconds was perfect for me!
- Carefully remove from the microwave (I use an oven mitt) and let stand until cool enough to eat. Be careful because it's going to be really hot at first!
- Enjoy warm with additional dollop of whipped cream ( 2 tablespoon light whipped cream, included in 8 WW points) and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Fantastic idea! I always crave apple crisp so this is perfect:)
I could get behind this dessert...of course the boys would be way too jealous and I'd just end up making more! Maybe I could sneak one of these in for breakfast?
I love that I can make a one serving dessert as not very many dessert eaters in our house
Love this dessert and even better that it's in a convenient mug! makes eating it so much easier on the couch
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
I need to calculate how many points on purple, because now you have me craving apple crisp haha. Such a great idea!!
I'm so glad i stumbled upon this recipe as I have one ripe apple and was looking for a small dessert to turn it into. The recipe came out delicious and I literally devoured it before dinner. This recipe is a winner and one I will PIN for use over and over again.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Amy!