I can't tell you how many an evening I have found myself in the pantry, scrounging for chocolate -anything chocolate! And then, out of pure desperation, grabbing a handful of chocolate chips.
Who am I kidding? Full disclosure here...that should be plural - handfuls of chocolate chips. This is not good -especially when I'm trying to be healthy and stay on track. But I NEED chocolate. This is also why I need an arsenal of quick and healthy chocolate dessert recipes, like these No Bake Healthy Rocky Road Bars. But what surprised me the most about these bars, is what happened when my daughter took one to school.
I am chocolate crazy. Obviously. But I'm especially crazy for chocolate dessert recipes that are also healthy! However, aside from my Spinach Brownies, Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Cereal Clusters and No Bake Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites, I realized that I don't have nearly enough healthy chocolate dessert recipes on this website! So, I set to work trying to create an easy, quick and healthy chocolate dessert, that's also Weight Watchers friendly.
These No Bake Healthy Rocky Road Bars are made with rice cakes with chocolate, so they're light and healthy. But it's the 'rocky road' part makes them irresistible! Loaded with mini marshmallows, sunflower seeds, butterscotch chips and cranberries, they are bursting with flavor! And it's all stuff I happen to have on hand in my pantry. Although this Rocky Road Bars recipe is 9 WW points (on the blue plan) when you think about the comparison, just ONE of my 'handfuls' (about 4 tablespoon) of milk chocolate chips are 16 WW points! And you get so much more satisfaction out of this chocolate fix.
For this recipe, you'll need:
- Stacker - thin rice cake squares (affiliate link)
- dried cranberries
- raw sunflower seeds
- bakers chocolate squares
- butterscotch chips
- mini marshmallows
Mini marshmallows: you could use mini colored marshmallows (affiliate link) to make this bar even more fun!
Dried cranberries: you could substitute dried cherries or dried apricots (chopped)
Butterscotch chips: you could use toffee bits or white chocolate chips
Sunflower seeds: you could substitute nuts such as almond or pecan
These easy Rocky Road Squares are also quick to make!
- Lay 12 rice cake thin squares out on parchment covered cookie sheet, as close together as possible. Break bakers chocolate bars into 1 ounce chunks and microwave on half power (50%) for 5 minutes, stopping at 3 minutes to stir, then stirring again at then end until chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour chocolate over rice cake squares and spread evenly over all 12 rice cake thins. Sprinkle mini marshmallows, dried cranberries, butterscotch chips and sunflower seeds evenly over chocolate covered rice cakes. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate has set. Then cut into 12 pieces and serve. ** Tip: It's easiest to cut them apart if you flip it over- you can see where the squares begin and end easily this way.
There was a time in my life when I'd simply go to the store and buy a chocolate bar, but that ship sailed many years ago because that behavior cannot be sustained beyond the age of 25 without some serious health and weight consequences.
Yet I can't live without chocolate. And it's a good thing that I don't have to. Fortunately, I happen to follow a program that's not one of those trendy diets, where you deprive yourself of specific foods then eventually go back to normal eating and try keep the weight off. I can eat anything, in moderation, of course. It's all about balance, right? And that's real life and normal eating. So, if you also believe in balance and can't live without healthy chocolate desserts either, then give this No Bake Rocky Road Square a try!
👪 Serving size
This recipe makes 12 bars
My 11-year-old daughter and I have similar tastes so when she tested this recipe, she loved it and asked me to pack it for dessert in her lunch bag the next day. But what surprised me most was when she came from school that day and said that all her friends were literally drooling (she loves to say literally) over it and she had to share. And when she did, they loved it! My kids aren't always crazy for my "healthy" lunch box desserts so I was pretty happy that these rocky road squares were so popular because they're so easy to make and pack.
Store these bars on the counter/pantry. in a sealed container, for up to 4 days. They freeze well (in a ziplock or sealed container) for up to 3 months.
💭 Top tip
Store your dried cranberries in the refrigerator (sealed) - they will keep longer (up to 12 months)!
So, if you're looking for healthy chocolate desserts that can be made in 10 minutes with stuff you already have on hand, then give these No Bake Healthy Rocky Road Bars a try!
If you love healthy rocky road recipes, then give my Rocky Road Froyo Bark a try. It's a delicious frozen treat that only 4 WW points (on blue plan) per piece!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋 No Bake Healthy Rocky Road Bar Recipe
- Lay 12 rice cake thin squares out on parchment covered cookie sheet, as close together as possible.
- Break bakers chocolate bars into 1 ounce chunks and microwave on half power (50%) for 5 minutes, stopping at 3 minutes to stir, then stirring again at then end until chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour chocolate over rice cake squares and spread evenly over all 12 rice cake thins.
- Sprinkle on mini marshmallow, dried cranberries, butterscotch chips and sunflower seed evenly over chocolate covered rice cakes.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate has set.
- Cut into 12 pieces and serve. It's easiest to cut them apart if you flip it over- you can see the squares easily this way.