This easy, no bake Rhubarb Dessert with a graham cracker crust, layers of rhubarb filling, vanilla pudding and whipped cream and marshmallows is the perfect way to enjoy your rhubarb crop this year! The flavors meld so perfectly together, with the sweet pudding and whipped cream marshmallows balancing the tangy rhubarb!
This recipe is especially popular during rhubarb season, which is generally the end of April (in many areas) until the end of June. This recipe is similar to my Cherry Cha Cha recipe on this site, and is pairs well with any spring or summer meal, such as my shortcut skillet fried chicken and Healthy Potato Salad. This is like a dessert you'd have at an old-fashioned country picnic, making it an ideal summer potluck dessert. It can also be made dairy-free!
Whether you grow your own rhubarb, get it at the farmers market or grocery store, rhubarb season is short, so dig in and make the most of it! Don't just make a rhubarb crisp recipe, get creative! If you're looking for unusual rhubarb recipes, you'll love this layered rhubarb dessert and my Sticky Rhubarb Pudding. Besides those delicious rhubarb desserts, be sure to try my other unique rhubarb recipes: Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe, Rhubarb Compote Recipe, Rhubarb Bars (shown below), Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake (No Bake), Microwave Rhubarb Crisp (in a mug) and my Healthy Rhubarb Muffins (Weight Watchers Friendly) These really are the best rhubarb recipes!
For this rhubarb dessert, you'll need:
- graham cracker crumbs
- unsalted butter (or margarine)
- chopped rhubarb * you can use fresh or frozen
- white granulated sugar
- corn starch
- whipping cream
- mini marshmallows
- instant vanilla pudding
*See recipe card for quantities.
- Heads up: you'll need to let this rhubarb dessert set in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight, so you'll want to plan accordingly!
- Melt butter and mix with graham cracker crumbs.
- Press ¾ of crust in 9-by-13-inch pan, refrigerate. Set aside the remainder (for topping).
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, water and corn starch. Boil on top of stove until it thickens.
- This will take 20- 30 minutes, depending on your stove. It should be the consistency of pudding. Cool completely.
- Spread rhubarb mixture over graham crumbs.
- Beat whipping cream to soft peaks and add 1 tablespoon of white sugar and beat to stiff peaks (you can add more sugar if you like it sweeter).. Mix marshmallows in with whipped cream.
- Spoon whipped cream mixture over rhubarb layer.
- Mix pudding as directions on box let set for about a minute and spread over cream mixture
- Sprinkle remaining graham cracker crumbs over top.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight or make early in the morning to serve in the evening.
Hint: When you are spreading the layers on top of one another, be patient. Spread a little bit at a time (as you would frosting) so you don't everything smeared together. Your dessert will look nicer that way!
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Whipping cream - real whipping cream is ideal, but you can use Cool whip or another type of whipped topping as a substitute (keep in mind that it will be sweeter)
- Rhubarb - you can use fresh rhubarb or frozen OR use an already prepared rhubarb compote for this recipe
- Graham cracker crumbs-if you don't have crumbs, crush up graham crackers (you can do this in a food processer or by adding crackers to a large Ziplock bag and using a rolling pin to crush them)
- Vanilla Pudding-you can use a box instant pudding or a prepared instant pudding (i.e. snack packs) If you use the prepared snack packs * You'll need 4 -158 g -containers instant vanilla pudding snacks
- Dairy-free - use a vegan butter or margarine (Becel has one), use non-dairy milk in the Jell-0 instant pudding (it's naturally vegan) and use a non-dairy whipped topping
👪 Serving Size
This rhubarb recipe makes 12 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You will just need additional 9X13 pan.
You'll need a hand mixer and a 9X13 baking dish for this rhubarb dessert. I like to use a glass baking dish with a lid. (affiliate link). The glass allows you to see the layers, which looks appealing and you can throw the lid on for storing in the fridge or transport!
Store this dessert with rhubarb for up to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Add a little red food coloring if your rhubarb looks a little brown. I use Americolor Super Red (affiliate link) so I only have to add a very small amount. If you use too much red food coloring, it produces a funny 'red taste'.
So if you're looking for a great way to use up lots of rhubarb, you'll love this No Bake Rhubarb Dessert!
Did you LOVE this rhubarb dessert? Please LEAVE A 5 STAR RATING AND A COMMENT below!
📋 Rhubarb Dessert Recipe (no bake)
- Heads up: you'll need to let this rhubarb dessert sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight, so you'll want to plan accordingly!
- Melt butter and mix with cracker crumbs.
- Press ¾ of crust in 9-by-13-inch pan, refrigerate.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, water and corn starch.
- Boil on top of stove until it thickens. This will take 20- 30 minutes, depending on your stove. It should be the consistency of pudding. * you can add a drop or two of red food coloring if it looks too pale or brown for your liking. *To save time: You can make this part the night before OR you can use a rhubarb compote you already have made.
- Cool completely (you can speed this up by putting in the freezer (make sure you transfer into another container or have pot holder underneath the pot). Spread over graham cracker crust. *It will thicken a lot while cooling
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream to soft peaks and add a little sugar (I add 1 tablespoon of white sugar) and beat to stiff peaks (you can add more sugar if you like it sweeter).. Mix marshmallows in with whipped cream. *To save time: you can also do this the night before to save time and refrigerate, then you don't have to refrigerate the whole dessert overnight, as this is the part of the recipe that needs to time to meld together in the fridge.If you are using Cool Whip or another whipped topping, simply add the marshmallows to the whipped cream. But keep in mind, it will be much sweeter.
- Spoon whipped cream mixture over rhubarb layer.
- Mix pudding as directions on box let set for about a minute and spread over cream mixture. *To save time: you can also mix up the instant pudding the night before and refrigerate or simply use pre-made snack pack pudding.
- Sprinkle rest of graham cracker crumbs over top.
- Refrigerate overnight or make early in the morning to serve in the evening.