This year I made the Cherry Cha Cha for dessert at Christmas. We usually have a variety of different desserts at our Christmas dinner, rather than just one. Because more desserts is always better, right?! This is a really yummy and easy no bake dessert that my grandma always made for family gatherings. And since everyone loves it and she no longer makes desserts, we decided that I would carry on the tradition.
Except that sometimes I can't help but change things ( just a little); for the better, of course. So instead of the usual graham crumbs, I used Chocolate Oreo cookie crumbs. Because everyone knows that chocolate makes everything better~!
And did it ever make it better...
This is another oldie but goodie, as are my Skor Bar Dessert and my Pistachio Dessert recipes. I love resurrecting these old timey desserts, lest they be forgotten by the ravages of time.... Plus, there's a reason that these recipes are still around and it's not just nostalgia- they taste fantastic! Not only is this easy, it's no bake and quick to throw together, making it ideal for summer gatherings, BBQ's and potlucks! No one wants to be baking dessert in the middle of July!
In some circles, this little gem of a dessert is also known as Cherry Delight. But cherry delight recipes tend to have cherries as the top layer. This recipe has cherries in the middle, sandwiched between delicious whipped cream mixed with marshmallows. And chocolate on the bottom and top! You just can't go wrong when all this deliciousness is encased in chocolate!
Cherry Marshmallow Dessert
But I'll be real honest with you- I'm not at all a marshmallow fan! However, for some reason, I love this Cherry Marshmallow Dessert! I think it's because it's a texture thing. When the marshmallows and whipped cream have time to meld together, the marshmallows soak up the whipped cream and get all soft and creamy. And not only does the texture of the marshmallows change, the sweetness is reduced. It's as if they become one and wow is it ever a wonderful union. So, don't worry if you're not a marshmallow fan cause you're still gonna love this dessert!
Cherry Cha Cha Recipe
This Cherry Cha Cha recipe is perfect when you're looking for a quick, easy and no bake dessert for a potluck or for when you're feeding a crowd. It also happens to be red and white, so also ideal for your Christmas OR Canada Day celebrations!
Cherry Cha Cha
- hand mixer
- 2 cups whipping cream 1 pint
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 oz -package of mini marshmallows
- 2 cups Oreo chocolate cookie crumbs
- ⅓ cup butter, melted * Measure the butter BEFORE you melt it
- 540 ml -can cherry pie filling
- Spray the bottom of a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine Oreo cookie crumbs and melted butter.. Press ⅔ of the mixture onto the bottom of 9X13 pan. Set aside the remainder.
- With an electric mixer, whip cream to soft peaks, then add icing sugar, vanilla and whip to stiff peaks. Add marshmallows and mix well.
- Spread half of the marshmallow mixture on top of crumb base.
- Spread cherry pie filling over marshmallow layer.
- Spread remainder of marshmallow mixture over cherries.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top of marshmallow layer.
- Refrigerate, covered for at least 6 hours or overnight.
More No Bake Desserts!
Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake
This recipe is part of The Country Cook Weekend Potluck!