I envisioned days, even weeks, stretched out in front of me, leisurely perusing Pinterest, looking for that perfect recipe (or even coming up with my own). Then the next thing I know, it's closing in on me, only a few days away. Funny, when I first heard about the potluck, it felt like ages away.
I have a love-hate relationship with potlucks. I love the social part of course, sampling new and interesting dishes, not having to cook that day and deciding on what I'm going to bring. Yet I hate deciding on what I'm going to bring. It's hard, so I often just fall back on the tried and true. This Pistachio Pudding Dessert is one of those tried and true, go-to potluck desserts because it's out of this world delicious, easy and you can make it ahead. It's a simple and delicious green dessert layered with whipped cream, cream cheese, pistachio pudding on a nutty shortbread crust!
Take this weekend for instance...
I have a Valentine's Day potluck coming up at work on Tuesday. It's now Friday. And in between the invite and life happening, a stomach bug has infiltrated my abode, taken down my entire family and left me bracing to be its next victim. I have tons to do this weekend, along with kids' activities and I still haven't an inkling of what I'm bringing to the potluck.
In my world, the potluck contribution bar is set pretty high. I already feel a ton of pressure to make something particularly awesome, to the point that it paralyzes me with indecision. Ugh! Now there goes ¾ of the ideas I pinned when I thought I had a lots of time. And there is certainly no way in hell a new fabulous recipe is going to happen before then.
My bar has just been lowered.
For this pistachio dessert recipe you'll need:
- instant pistachio pudding
- butter * I use unsalted
- ground pecans * you can use ground almonds as a substitute
- icing sugar - also known as 'powdered sugar' or 'confectioners sugar'
- cream cheese
- white chocolate *Baker's white chocolate baking squares, NOT white chocolate chips
- whipping cream * you can substitute whipped topping, but this will make it sweeter
This recipe serves 18, but you can cut it in half (use a smaller pan) or double it (you'll need 2 pans). Simply click on the blue serving size in the recipe card, choose the number of servings you'd like, and the recipe amounts will adjust accordingly.
💭 Top tip
You can make these pistachio dessert bars in less than 30 minutes, although it's best to sit overnight in the fridge. If you have less time than that, 3-4 hours will do it.
This Pistachio dessert square is also versatile:
- Change up the topping: (use shaved toasted almonds, finely chopped pistachios, another chopped nut or chocolate shavings) and bring it to any potluck any time of year!
- Make it gluten-free: use gluten-free flour!
- White Chocolate: I add white chocolate because it gives it a really nice flavor that melds perfectly with pistachio. However, you can skip it if you don't have any or prefer not to use it.
🍀St. Patrick's Day Green Desserts
If this has ever happened to you, where it's the 11th hour and you're still not sure what you're bringing to the potluck, not to worry; I've got your six! If you are looking for St. Patrick's day green food, here is a beautiful and tasty green dessert just in time for your potluck or dinner party. This retro potluck dish was a pretty popular one back 'in the day' - about 15 -20 years ago. I haven't seen it around for a while so I decided to resurrect it, with a few changes.
Looking for more green or St. Patrick's Day Dessert Recipes? Give my Shamrock Irish Cream Dessert Shots a try! They can be made with or without alcohol:
And if you love pistachio, give my Spumoni Trifle a try! It can be made for Halloween or without the eyeballs and worms!
Here's what others are saying about this Pistachio Pudding Dessert:
"I made this for my ladies' group this week and it was a huge hit! I made it gluten free by using my home-made GF flour mix for the crust. Everyone had seconds. Will definitely make this again. Might try using some GF ginger cookies for the base for some extra zing!" ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
📋 Pistachio Pudding Dessert Recipe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 250 g pkg cream cheese softened
- 1 & ⅔ cup icing/powdered sugar
- 3 oz melted white chocolate *Baker's white chocolate squares, NOT white chocolate chips
- 3 cups whipping cream if you really want to, you can substitute Cool whip
- 2 pkg. Pistachio Instant Pudding 4-serving size, 99 g each
- 3 cups cold milk
- green sparking sugar/sprinkles or toasted shaved almonds, ground pistachios or chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9X13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- For base: In a food processor, add ground pecans with butter, flour and 2 Tblsp icing sugar and blend until it clings together; press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 12- 15 minutes or until lightly brown around edges; cool completely.
- Beat pudding mixes and milk with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Set aside and let stand until thickened for 5 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, vanilla and icing sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until well blended. Spread gently over cooled crust.* If the crust cracks a little,don't worry it's not a big deal.
- Pour pudding over cream cheese layer.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave on ½ power for about 40 seconds or until melted. Put back in for 10 second intervals if not melted, stirring between.
- Beat whipped cream to soft peaks, then add melted white chocolate and beat to stiff peaks.
- Cover pudding layer with whipped cream by spreading gently, ensuring you keep the layers separate. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Pistachio Frappuccino (Starbucks Copycat) (with pistachio pudding)
- Pistachio Fluff (with pistachio pudding)
- Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
- White Chocolate Pistachio Cake with pistachio pudding filling