Valentine's Day is just around the corner and you may be thinking about what to do for your valentine(s). Why not make dinner at home? Restaurants are overcrowded and you really can't beat home cooking. Plus, it falls on a weeknight again this year and going out is not always ideal during the work week.
Commonly used in Asian cooking and often referred to as 'Chinese BBQ sauce', hoisin is such a versatile and delicious sauce. And this 20 minute Orange Hoisin Chicken is one of my all time favorite chicken dishes! And it's Weight Watchers friendly at only 5 WW points on the blue plan!
Quick Staple Dishes are the best! I have many staple dishes and this one is up there in my top 5. I have been making it for a very long time.
For this hoisin sauce chicken recipe, you'll need:
- vegetable oil
- boneless and skinless chicken breast
- oranges (zest and juice)
- hoisin sauce
- red pepper flakes
- carrot, chives and radicchio (optional garnishes)
*see recipe card for quantities
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Meat: I have made it with both pork and chicken, depending what I have on hand.* You'll want to use chicken breast if you want to keep the WW points down
- Orange juice: I prefer to use freshly squeezed, but I have used store-bought, as well as 5 Alive juice from concentrate, as well
This hoisin sauce for chicken is very simple:
- Add garlic to skillet; cook for 1 minute.
- Combine orange zest and juice, hoisin sauce and hot pepper flakes.
- Add to skillet and bring to a boil; stirring for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
💭 Top tip
Serve with noodles and steamed asparagus (and while the chicken cooks, why not minimize the clutter and clean up by steaming some asparagus on top of the boiling water for the noodles?) Or steam asparagus in the microwave (see instructions in post above). Drizzle some of the sauce over the noodles for extra flavor!
🥗 Side dishes
- Quick thin noodles (I used Chinese Chow Mein noodles that cook in 3 minutes)
- Brown rice
- Quick Cucumber Kimchi
- Skinny Coleslaw
- Steamed veggies (asparagus is quick and tasty and can be steamed in the microwave for 3-5 minutes)
- Green beans and Mushrooms
But you also require something that's special enough for your sweetheart (s). I say sweetheart and valentine in the plural sense because I consider my kids my valentines and sweethearts too. And I like to include them in this special holiday, as any other. It's all about love, after all.
👪 Serving Size
And that's why this hoisin sauce chicken recipe is 4 servings. However, it can always be reduced to 2 or you have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day and really you can't go wrong with that * ALL MY RECIPES HAVE ADJUSTABLE SERVINGS- just click on the servings (it's underlined in blue) select the number of servings you'd like and the ingredient amounts will adjust accordingly. I actually double it so I can have leftovers.
Store this chicken in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen in a sealed container for up to 3 months.
This Hoisin Orange Chicken is a healthy, delicious and elegant dinner for your Valentine(s)! And since you'll need something quick if you plan to make dinner when you get home from work, this meal can be whipped up in only 20 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes!
By the way, it is kid tested, approved and highly recommended. A home cooked meal is a great way to show your love and this Hoisin Orange Chicken dinner is the perfect recipe.
If you want to stay on track and are looking for a healthy dessert to go with your healthy meal, then try try my Healthy & Light Strawberry Chocolate Icebox Cake for Two. It's also Weight Watchers friendly.
However, if you want to indulge just a little, make this with my Raspberry Tiramisu Cutie Pies: Valentine’s Day baking in 20 minutes The nice thing about this dessert, is that it's a mini dessert, so you don't eat a lot of it.
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋Orange Hoisin Chicken Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- clove garlic or jarred minced garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ½ cup orange juice Note: I use whatever I have on hand. I prefer to freshly squeeze the orange juice, as you only need 1-2 oranges, but I will use Five Alive tropical juice boxes if that's all I happen to have in the house!
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- pinch red pepper flakes
- orange wedges or slices optional
- carrot cut outs/chips optional, chive sprigs and long Italian radicchio
- In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium - high heat: cook chicken, turning once, for a 8-10 minutes (this will depend on the thickness of the chicken breast) or until golden on each side and no longer pink inside. Transfer to plate keep warm.
- Add garlic to skillet; cook for 1 minute. Combine orange zest and juice, hoisin sauce and hot pepper flakes. Add to skillet and bring to a boil; stirring for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Return chicken to skillet, turning to coat ; heat through
🐓More Chicken Recipes!
- Baked Hoisin Chicken Quarters Recipe
- Baked Balsamic Chicken with Roasted Tomatoes
- 5 Ingredient Sheet Pan Caprese Chicken
- Chicken in a Hurry
- Lazy Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki
- Healthy Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Healthy Butter Chicken