Ah rhubarb …what North American kid doesn’t have many fond childhood memories of that simple summer day treat; pulling rhubarb from the garden, washing it off with the garden hose and dipping it in some sugar?! Revive your rhubarb memory, along with your taste buds, with this unique and delicious No Bake Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake!
This no-bake rhubarb cheesecake is ideal for rhubarb season, but you can enjoy it any time of the year because you can use fresh or frozen rhubarb. But if you're looking for the perfect red and white dessert for Canada Day, this is your cake! It's a lighter cheesecake, boasting a dark chocolate Oreo cookie crust with a red rhubarb and strawberry marble and creamy white chocolate filling. Fennel gives it a unique and delicious hint of licorice. And all of this without even turning on your oven! This recipe was inspired by my Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake.
I come from a long line of green thumbs. My Baba, Grandma, and Aunt all had beautiful gardens, where they always seemed so happy and content. My Mom wasn't really much of a gardener, that is until she retired. But she still grew rhubarb back in the day. They all did. In fact, pretty much everyone in Manitoba had a patch of rhubarb in the 1970s, whether they wanted one or not.
I always wanted to grow rhubarb, but life got in the way and it didn't just seem to grow almost wild in Calgary as it did in Manitoba. But I finally planted some a couple of years ago and am finally reaping the benefits! Although I'm getting 2 harvests a season, I still never seem to have enough rhubarb!
If you love rhubarb too, be sure to check out my other rhubarb recipes: Rhubarb Squares, Rhubarb Meringue Torte, Rhubarb Cookies, Rhubarb Dessert (No Bake), Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe, and Microwave Rhubarb Crisp (in a mug)!
Here are the strawberry rhubarb cheesecake ingredients you'll need:
- Oreo baking crumbs
- unsalted butter * or light butter
- white granulated sugar
- light cream cheese *or fat -free cream cheese
- ground fennel
- rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- light sour cream *or fat-free sour cream
- white chocolate
- whipping cream (aka heavy cream)
- non fat Greek yogurt
- red food coloring * I use Americolor red gel paste (affiliate link)
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Rhubarb - you can use fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb
- Strawberries - you can use fresh strawberries or frozen strawberries
- Baking crumbs- you can use regular graham cracker crumbs instead of chocolate (Oreo)
- Food coloring - I recommend you use a gel paste red food coloring (generally used to color frosting) not one you get from the grocery store. Using a super red get (I use Americolor super red - affiliate link) will allow you to use less so you don't get that 'red dye taste'. Or you can skip the food coloring if you don't need a vibrant red color.
- Sugar - you could substitute brown sugar for the white sugar
- WW friendlier- use light butter, fat-free sour cream and cream cheese to bring the point to 12. You can also use a sugar substitute to bring the points down even further, if you desire.
👪 Serving Size
This No Bake Rhubarb Cheesecake recipe makes 16 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. However, you'll need additional springform pans.
Although it tastes like a decadent dessert, this creamy cheesecake is WW friendly @ 12 WW points (using light butter, fat-free sour cream, and fat-free cream cheese). And it's worth every single point! But considering a typical piece of cheesecake with fruit topping is 22 WW points, that's a pretty good deal!
Store this No Bake Rhubarb Cheesecake in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge. I do not recommend freezing it.
This is a great cheesecake for using up some of your rhubarb and one that the whole family will love. Or if you are looking for Canada Day desserts, you'll love this No Bake Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake!
🍓Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake Recipe (No Bake)
- 2 cups Oreo baking crumbs
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter , melted
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 -7 gram package of gelatin crystals (I use Knox brand*)
- ½ cup water , divided into 2
- 2 - 8 oz packages of light cream cheese , room temperature (softened)
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 ½ cup frozen rhubarb (or fresh)
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh or fresh)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 3 ounces melted white chocolate
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon super red gel paste food coloring (I use Americolor)
- Spray the bottom of an 8-inch or 9 inch springform pan with non- stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine Oreo baking crumbs and 3 tablespoon white granulated sugar. Add ⅔ cup melted butter and mix until all the crumbs are moistened and a thick, crumbly paste forms. Press mixture into the bottom of the springform pan. Level and press to the bottom of the pan using a rubber spatula and neatly taper at the edge. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Cook frozen rhubarb and strawberries in microwave for 3 ½ minutes, drain excess liquid. Puree rhubarb/strawberries for approximately 1 minute in food processor. Add ground fennel and red gel paste. ** if you are using fresh, use the same process
- Mix gelatin crystals and ¼ cup water in a small bowl and allow to bloom for 5 minutes. Heat ¼ cup water for 30 seconds in the microwave on high and pour into the gelatin bloom. Stir to dissolve, and allow to cool.
- Place cream cheese, 1 cup white granulated sugar in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (you can use a hand mixer and a large bowl). Mix on low to break down the cream cheese for 30 seconds, and increase to medium speed for another 1 minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add sour cream, whipping cream, Greek yogurt and stir in white chocolate. Mix on medium for 30 seconds, scrape the sides, and on medium-high speed for 2 minutes, until smooth and fluffy.
- Starting on low, pour gelatin into the cream cheese mixture. Continue to mix at medium speed for a minute, scraping the sides of the bowl after 30 seconds.
- Pour cheesecake batter into the springform pan with crust and level with a spatula. Drop several dollops of rhubarb ands strawberry mixture onto the white cheesecake and swirl in with a butter knife. Repeat until all is gone. Try to cut into it to get it deeper and don’t over-mix or it will lose the swirled effect.
- Tap pan lightly against the counter to get rid of air bubbles. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.
- Unhinge rim of springform pan and remove. If necessary, smooth edges of cake with a knife. Serve.