I actually ate caviar once and I have to admit that I was not at all impressed. Given the hype, not to mention the price tag, I expected so much more. That was obviously BK (before kids). After kids you just don't eat caviar. That is, unless they are grown up and long gone! My youngest is just entering her teens so it will be a while until I have that option again. Not that I care....Fortunately, I much prefer this Cowboy Caviar Dip Recipe.
This Cowboy Caviar Dip recipe is quick and easy to make with canned corn, canned beans and Cannellini beans as a substitute for black eyed peas. The fresh veggies, cilantro and lime give it a fresh taste! It's also vegan, gluten-free and Weight Watchers friendly.
This is another one of my Stampede week recipes for the Calgary Stampede that never happened. But just because there's no Stampede, it doesn't mean you can't enjoy Stampede food! It's vegan, gluten-free, WW friendly (only 1 point on my plan) and it's super filling and delicious!
Cowboy Salsa is really a corn and bean salsa and although it goes by several different names including Cowboy Salsa, Redneck Caviar, Poor Man's Caviar and Texas Caviar, it's best known as Cowboy Caviar. I thought that this recipe was fitting for Stampede. And although there's no actual Calgary Stampede this year, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy all the yummy food that goes along with it. If you don't want to do the 10 Days of Grab and Go Food Events, you can still make some of my fave Stampede and carnival themed recipes at home: Stampede Beef on a Bun, Mini Ukrainian donuts (Pampushky) – Stampede Style, Easy Pork & Beef Stove top Chili, Churros with Dulce de Leche Dip and Slow Cooker Whiskey Beef Stew!
Weight Watchers dips are one of my fave things to make for a snack (see more WW dips at the bottom of this post.) And this Weight Watchers version is also perfect for movie night, as well as bringing along to a potluck, a backyard BBQ or packing along on a picnic. It's portable, easy and healthy! I make some homemade healthy tortilla chips (see recipe) to go along with it so I can indulge guilt-free! Or you can serve this dip with regular tortilla chips for those who aren't following the WW program. No one will even suspect this dip is WW friendly!
The fresh veggies, cilantro and lime give it such a fresh burst of flavor! For this recipe, you will need:
- Roma tomatoes
- red onion, diced
- canned corn
- white Cannellini beans
- green bell peppers
- red bell pepper, diced
- jalapeno peppers, chopped * I use jarred 'tamed jalapenos' - add more or less to your liking
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- minced garlic
- agave (this is vegan)
*see recipe card for quantities
This hearty dip recipe is a little different than the usual because I don't make mine with black-eyed peas, but instead I substitute Cannellini beans (white beans) for the black eyed peas. I couldn't find canned black eyed peas and I'm not interested in having to actually cook peas in order to make this dip. I LOVE the fact that this dip is super quick and easy because you don't have to actually cook anything and it uses canned corn and beans, a quick dressing and veggies that can be cut up in a few minutes.
- Corn- you can also use frozen corn (thawed) or fresh corn, instead of canned corn.
- Wine vinegar - you could substitute white wine vinegar for red
💭What to do with Cowboy Caviar
Although I primarily use it as a salsa or dip, this recipe makes A LOT of servings! And since I had to find other ways to use it up, I discovered how amazing it is when you use it on scrambled eggs or egg whites!
What else to do with this delicious dip:
- Add it to a breakfast burrito
- Add to baked beans
- Add it to a ham or turkey sandwich
- Add it to cooked chicken breast
- Add it to quesadillas
- Add it to baked or BBQ'd fish or pork
But mostly I enjoy it straight up with healthy homemade tortilla chips!
👪 Serving Size
This easy appetizer makes 30 servings. If you want to cut the recipe in half, double or triple it, simply click on the blue servings in the recipe card, select the number of servings you'd like and the ingredient amounts will adjust accordingly.
NOTE: Makes about 7.5 cups. You will get about 30 servings @ ¼ cup
This recipe is 1 WW point on my plan. Plug the ingredients into the recipe builder in the ww app to see how many points the is on your plan.
For this Texas caviar recipe, you'll need a good knife and a cutting board.
Store this Weight Watchers friendly Cowboy Caviar in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Although this colorful Cowboy Caviar Dip is great ANY time of the year (game days included!) it makes a fabulous summer dip because not only a simple dip, it's easy, delicious, no cook and Weight Watchers friendly!
Did you make this easy cowboy caviar recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋 Cowboy Caviar Dip recipe
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- ⅓ cup red onion, chopped
- 341 ml canned corn, drained and rinsed or use frozen corn, defrosted
- 540 ml black beans, drained and rinsed
- 398 ml can white Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoon jalapeno peppers, chopped * I use jarred 'tamed jalapenos' - add more or less to your liking
- ⅓ cup cilantro, finely chopped
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 2 10 inch tortillas
- kosher or sea salt
- Combine tomatoes, onion, black beans, Cannellini beans, corn, peppers, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss/stir well so that ingredients are well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Pour dressing over other ingredients and stir/toss until well combined.
- Keep refrigerated.
Homemade Tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Stack tortillas and cut into 6 triangles.
- Lay tortillas on baking sheet, in a single layer, spinkle with salt and bake 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with additional salt, if desired, cool and serve with cowboy caviar dip.