If you're like me and you NEED chocolate, but also need it to be healthy chocolate, you'll love this Dark Chocolate Hummus! Wholesome and easy to make, this hummus is the perfect way to get your chocolate fix. But the best part is that it tastes like chocolate frosting, but it's actually good for you!
This dessert hummus is popular any time of the year, and makes a great dessert or snack! This recipe was inspired by my savory Hummus recipe on this site.
I love desserts with veggies in them! Personally, it makes me feel better about eating dessert, knowing I'm getting some actual nutrition with it (and I can count it as 1 of my 5 daily fruits and veggies). If you feel the same, then be sure to try my other healthy desserts with veggies: Healthy Applesauce & Spinach Brownies, Banana Nice Cream (with coconut and lime), Healthy Red Velvet Cookies, and my Healthy Chocolate Chip Spinach Cookies!
I bought some chocolate hummus from the grocery store as a chocolate fruit dip for New Year's eve and loved that particular brand (Fontaine Santé) so much that I decided to try to replicate it at home. Although the main ingredient in hummus is chickpeas, most chocolate hummus recipes don't have dates, but this one does! And dates make it super yummy! The chocolate flavour comes from cocoa and chocolate baking bar.
For this dark chocolate hummus recipe, you'll need:
- chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- pitted dates
- dark chocolate baking bar
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- olive oil
- sea salt
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- tahini (sesame paste)
See recipe card for quantities.
In a food processor, combine ½ cup dates and water. Turn the food processor on high. *Don't worry if it's not a smooth date paste, as it will be once it's mixed with all the other ingredients
*If your dates have hardened in the fridge, you can revive them-see Top Tip before puréeing them with water
Melt chocolate baking bar in microwave on HALF power (50%) for 1- 2 minutes, taking out to stir after 1 minute, then at 15-second intervals
Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl of the food processor (EXCEPT mini chocolate chips)
Turn the food processor on to high and blend until completely incorporated, turning off (and unplugging) to scrape down the sides periodically).
Add chocolate chips and turn the food processor on to high for about 10 seconds
Garnish with additional mini chocolate chips, if desired, and serve with fruit and/or graham crackers.
Hint: *If the hummus is too thick to dip, add a tablespoon of water. Add water in 1 tablespoon increments until you reach the desired consistency.
If your dates have gone hard (as they will after being in the fridge for a while), soak them in boiling water for 10 minutes to soften them before pureeing
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Tahini- you could use almond butter or cashew butter instead
- Olive oil - you can use another type of oil, such as canola oil or sesame
- Agave - you can use honey instead, but you'll need double the amount of honey
- Dark Chocolate – you can substitute semi-sweet baking bar, but reduce the agave and brown sugar to 1 tablespoon each
- WW friendlier - see WW Points (below)
- Dairy-free- use dairy-free chocolate chips
🥗 What to serve with chocolate hummus
- apple slices
- graham crackers
- cinnamon pita chips
You can also top bagels, English muffins, toast, or rice cakes (and chop up some fresh strawberries, as shown) with chocolate hummus for a healthy treat, snack or for packing in school lunches. You could even use it as a healthy frosting on cake, cupcakes, or loaf (yes, it's really that good!)
You will need a food processor for this sweet hummus recipe. Personally, I love Cuisinart food processors, as they are very good quality. I got my first one as a wedding gift and it lasted 20+ years! Then I bought another, larger one (11 cup Cuisinart food processor). I would also recommend the Breville 12 cup food processer (affiliate links), as it's another great brand, although the price point is a little higher. You could also use a high powered blender.
Store this chocolate hummus in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. It has a creamy texture, but will harden up a little in the fridge, so you'll need to leave it a room temperature for a few minutes or you can pop it into the microwave for about 20 seconds.
You can freeze chocolate hummus in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then bring to room temperature.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes 16 servings (@2 tablespoon each), which is 2 cups. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
This recipe is 4 WW points per serving but the points can be reduced. I made it pretty sweet so my kids would eat it (and they LOVE it!) My teenage son said it was 'amazing!' However, you can reduce the sweetness and make it more WW friendly with the following changes and substitutions:
- cut agave and brown sugar to 1 tablespoon each (or use a sugar substitute if you prefer)
- replace olive oil with additional water
- reduce mini chocolate chips to 2 tbsp
If you're looking for a dessert hummus, this creamy dark chocolate hummus is a great way to get your veggie quota and satisfy your chocolate craving at the same time! And be sure to check out my other Healthy Dessert Recipes!
📋 Dark Chocolate Hummus Recipe
- ½ tablespoon semi-sweet mini dark chocolate chips
*NOTE: By default, instruction images will NOT print. If you want the instruction images to print, you need to select 'print'.
- Add dates and water to food processor and turn on high*Don't worry if it's not a smooth date paste, as it will be once it's mixed with all the other ingredients
- Melt chocolate baking bar in microwave on HALF power (50%) for 1- 2 minutes, taking out to stir after 1 minute, then at 15 second intervals
- Add melted chocolate and remaining ingredients (EXCEPT mini chocolate chips) to food processor and process until smooth.
- Turn the food processor on to high and blend until completely incorporated, turning off (and unplugging) to scrape down the sides periodically).
- Add mini chocolate chips and turn on high for 10 seconds
- Garnish with additional mini chocolate chips, if desired and serve with fresh fruit and graham crackers.