Finding a quick, healthy snack for kids that they will love is not as easy as it may seem. Even my foodie kids, who are also my guinea pigs and pretty open minded when it comes to all things food, are still challenging to impress when it comes to healthy snacks. This recipe, however, completely won them over!
These Cinnamon Raisin Tortilla Pinwheels, also known as Raisin Sushi, are a simple and healthy 6- ingredient-snack that take 15 minutes to throw together! Snacking doesn’t get much easier, more fun or healthier than juicy California raisins, grated apple and carrots all rolled up in a creamy cinnamon whole wheat tortilla and made to look like sushi. Because, after all, California raisins are known for being a naturally sweet superfood that’s made for healthy eating and snacking. And if you want to have some real FUN, serve them with chopsticks and totally elevate this healthy snacking experience!
Healthy Snacks for kids to make
Although these are healthy snacks for kids, they are not just for kids! Please consider this fair warning: this Raisin Sushi is not only delicious, it’s also super addictive! The day I was photographing this recipe I nearly ran out of samples for my kids because I couldn’t stop eating them! In fact, we’ve already made them again. Made with only 6 simple and wholesome ingredients, this healthy snack for kids is healthy, quick and fun. And it’s so easy that kids can even make it themselves (see step by step instructions in the recipe at the bottom of this post).
Cinnamon Raisin Tortilla Pinwheels with cream cheese
I’m always on the lookout for picnic recipes and these Cinnamon Raisin Tortilla Pinwheels with cream cheese are perfect for not only their portability, but how quick they are to make. They also make a great backyard picnic recipe for kids! No matter how old kids are, they love to take snacks outside into the yard, to the soccer field or even on a bike ride. This Raisin Sushi is super simple to throw together and pack along on a picnic!
The crunchy and chewy textures and flavours in these tortilla pinwheels meld together so perfectly. And this snack is the ideal balance of savoury from the carrots and cream cheese and sweet from the raisins and apples. California Raisins are a versatile addition to your cooking and baking (both savoury and sweet).
And if you love California raisins, you’ll love this Rum & Raisin Sheet Pan Pancakes Recipe. It tastes like Rum & Raisin ice cream, but in the form of an easy pancake!
Healthy After School Snacks
When the kids head back to school, they’re going to need after school snacks. This is a great last-minute snack that younger kids can help with and older kids can even make for themselves. The best part is that they are fun to eat! You could even send them along to school in a lunch bag.
Whether you pack these Raisin Sushi (Cinnamon Raisin Tortilla Pinwheels) along for a picnic in the backyard or the mountains, pack them in a lunch bag or serve them after school, they are a healthy, wholesome easy and fun snack!
To learn more about California Raisins and for recipe inspiration, visit California Raisins.
Raisin Sushi (Cinnamon Raisin Tortilla Pinwheels)
- 1 large apple, cored, peeled and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1 cup light cream cheese, softened -8 oz package
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 4 - 10 inch -whole wheat tortillas
- Spread 1/4 cup cream cheese on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle 3/4 tsp of cinnamon on each cream cheese covered tortilla.
- Add grated carrot, dividing it evenly by all 4 tortillas.
- Add grated apple, dividing it evenly by all 4 tortillas.
- Add 1/4 cup California raisins, to each tortilla, spreading them out evenly.
- Starting at one of the wide ends, begin to roll the tortilla a tightly as you can.
- Then continue to roll until you reach the other end, keeping it as tight a roll as possible.
- Roll until you reach the other edge and make sure the seam is on the bottom of the roll.
- Cut off ends (about a 1/2 inch)
- Then cut each tortilla into 6 slices each.
- Place sushi pieces (so they fit tightly) into a serving tray, platter etc.
- * If pieces start to open, simply add a little more cream cheese to the end that's opening (seam) and gently press it together.
- Serve with chopsticks for a fun snacking experience!