If you love egg rolls, then you're going to love this healthy and easy version of Egg Roll in a Bowl that's also very low in Weight Watchers points! It has the flavors of a traditional egg roll in a healthy dish.
But as far as I'm concerned, egg rolls just aren't the same without plum sauce, so I add it. Even WITH the plum sauce and sesame seeds, it's still low WW points (it's 1 WW point.) And trust me, it's sooo worth the extra points. It really tastes like you're eating an egg roll! Nor do you have to be on a Weight Watchers plan to love this Weight Watchers Egg Roll in a Bowl. It's a quick, easy, and healthy weeknight dish that the whole family will love.
Obviously, I didn't invent this dish. And I've seen a lot of renditions of it out there. However, I wanted to throw my version into the mix! It's different than others I have come across.
My Egg Roll in a Bowl is a healthy, easy and satisfying Weight Watchers friendly, one-pot meal. For this recipe, you'll need:
- lean ground turkey breast
- broccoli slaw
- bean sprouts
- fresh mushrooms
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- fresh ginger * (don't use ground ginger spice, unless you are desperate! See my tip below on keeping ginger fresh)
- green onions
- plum sauce
- sesame seeds
*see recipe card for quantities
This Egg Roll in a bowl is 1 WW point. You can make it zero points without plum sauce or sesame seeds.
📖 Variations & Substitutions
This deconstructed egg roll is a healthier alternative to egg rolls and both a low carb meal and dairy free!
- Gluten-free - You can also make it gluten-free by using a gluten-free soy sauce and gluten-free plum sauce.
- Green onions - you can substitute red or white, but green is ideal because they are milder
- Ground meat - you can substitute ground chicken breast or extra lean ground beef for turkey meat
- Coleslaw - you can substitute a bag of coleslaw mix (plain), but broccoli slaw is more flavorful and has more nutrients
- Olive oil - you can substitute sesame oil
- Add-ins - water chestnuts
This egg roll bowl tastes like an inside-out egg roll. It has all the delicious flavors of your favorite deep-fried Chinese restaurant appetizer, but comes together in a lighter, faster, and healthier one-pan dinner that’s ready in about 20 minutes.
🌶️🌶️ Can I make this spicy?
YES! If you want it a little spicier, without adding points, just add sriracha sauce or red pepper flakes. However, you'll need to keep the sriracha sauce to 1 tsp, as anything over and above 1 teaspoon is 1 WW point. You could also add another type of hot sauce or chili paste!
🥗What goes with egg roll in a bowl?
- Rice or cauliflower rice
- Everything Bagel Cloud Bread Recipe
💭 Top Tip
Store your fresh ginger in the freezer! This recipe uses fresh ginger and ginger is usually a real pain to store because it goes bad so fast. I store my ginger in the freezer in a small freezer bag, pull it out and peel it with a carrot peeler, then grate it right into my food. It lasts several months in the freezer and this hack saves you both time and money!
You'll need a deep, large skillet or a wok. (affiliate links) for this weight watchers egg roll recipe.
👪 Serving Size
This egg roll in a bowl ww makes 10 servings. However, you can half, double, or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
Store leftover egg roll in a bowl in the fridge for up to 3 days. It can also be made a couple of days in advance.
❔ Frequently Asked Questions
A traditional egg roll does not have egg in it but gets its name from the egg in the egg roll wrapper. But seriously, you won't even miss the wrapper! And although I love eggs, I don't add them to my recipe (as some do) because this dish has enough protein it it. Plus, I already get enough eggs, given I eat them for breakfast on a daily basis. And if you're following WW, you probably get enough eggs too!
Yes, egg roll in a bowl can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
If you're looking for additional healthy dinner ideas with ground turkey, then check out my Healthy Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Or kickstart your weight loss with this Healthy 7 Day Family Meal Plan!
And if you're craving egg rolls, but also want to stay on track with your health and weight goals, then give this WW Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe a try! You won't be disappointed, as it's sure to become a family favorite!
📋 WW Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey breast (you can substitute ground chicken breast) (99% fat free)
- 4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger *See NOTES for easy way to grate ginger
- 12 oz -bag of broccoli slaw mix (340 g bag)
- 12 oz -bag of bean sprouts (340g bag)
- ½ bunch - green onions, chopped (4-5 onions)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (227 g container)
- 2 sticks chopped celery
- 5 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- additional green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon plum sauce
- In large, deep skillet or wok, brown ground turkey in olive oil, over medium- high heat, until cooked (no longer pink)
- Add remaining ingredients and cover pan with lid and let cook over medium- low heat until vegetables are soft (about 10 minutes)
- Garnish with plum sauce (2 tablespoon is 2 WW points) and sesame seed (1 teaspoon = 1 WW point) and serve warm. You can serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice, but be sure to calculate the additional points.