This Healthy Homemade Tartar Sauce is a low-fat sauce that's simple and easy to throw together with items you have in your kitchen!
This recipe was inspired by my Tuna Burgers (with canned tuna) on this site, as this sauce is the perfect accompaniment. But it also pairs well with this Healthy Salmon Burger! It's WW friendly @2 points on my plan, but you can click HERE to find out how many point it is on your personal plan.
You only need a few ingredients (you should have on hand) for this tartar sauce with relish recipe:
- lemon juice (freshly squeezed) *see variations below
- yellow mustard
- low-fat mayonnaise *I use Helman's
- sweet relish
- dried dill/dill weed (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
📖Substitutions & Variations
- Dill - you can use a little fresh dill instead
- Mayonnaise - you can use any type you like, but I recommend using a light or low-fat mayonnaise to keep it healthy *fat-free mayonnaise will reduce WW points for the mayonnaise from 7 to 3 points
- Lemon juice - in a pinch, you can substitute concentrated lemon juice, but use half the amount
- Spicy - add a little crushed red chili pepper flakes or sriracha sauce
How to make tartar sauce from scratch
Making tartar sauce from scratch is as easy as mixing a mayonnaise, relish, mustard and lemon juice together. They secret is fresh lemon juice!
If you're using fresh lemon juice, a manual juicer (affiliate links) comes in very handy!
Store this low-fat tartar sauce in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 3 days. It can also be made in advance. These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes 6 servings and a serving of this recipe is 1 tbsp. You can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
This healthy tartar sauce is WW friendly @2 points on my plan, but you can click HERE to find out how many point it is on your personal plan. You can further reduce the points by using fat-free mayonnaise, if you desire.
💭What does tartar sauce go well with?
Traditionally, tartar sauce is served with fish and seafood. Here are some more ways to enjoy it:
- Pan-Fried Salmon Patties (shown below)
- Beef burgers
- Mashed potatoes
- French fries
- Baked Salmon
- Raw Vegetables (dip)
- Tuna Burgers (with canned tuna)
- Chicken strips/fingers
- Healthy Fish Tacos
- Deep fried shrimp
- Onion rings
- Healthy Salmon Burger
- Fish sticks
If you're looking for a Homemade Healthy Tartar sauce that's low-fat, WW friendly, as well as quick and easy to throw together (with ingredients you already have in kitchen), then you'll love this recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋Healthy Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe
- ¾ tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed * this is about ¼ of a whole lemon
- 2 teaspoon yellow mustard *this is regular mustard
- ⅓ cup low-fat mayonnaise *I use Hellman's ½ the fat
- 1 ½ tablespoon relish *sweet relish
- ⅛ teaspoon dried dill optional
- Mix all ingredients (except dried dill) together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle on dried dill, if using.