I bought my first waffle maker at a garage sale almost 25 years ago, long before Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches were even a thing. The lady that sold it to me for $5.00 said she had received it as a gift for her own wedding 15 years earlier. I am not sure why that particular exchange stands out in my mind- I've been to a lot of garage sales and bought a lot of stuff over the years.
Maybe it's because I still have that little waffle iron! And I used it to make this award-winning Healthy Chicken Waffle Sandwich! It can be served as a breakfast, brunch or even breakfast for dinner. If you are pressed for time, store-bought waffles can be substituted for homemade. It's the perfect breakfast waffle sandwich!
We eat a lot of homemade waffles and as my family grew from 2 to 4 waffle eaters in that 25 year span, I often fantasized about a shiny new 4 iron waffle maker... When I told my daughter that, she drew me this picture 💓
I used to LOVE going to garage sales, especially in my starving student days. It was partially the thrill of the hunt- never knowing what I would find and the satisfaction of getting a good deal. Plus, I needed a lot of stuff and I needed it cheap. But since I no longer need a lot of stuff. In fact, quite the opposite. So, I had my own garage sale about 3 years ago, hoping to get rid of stuff. It was not fun being on the other side.
In fact, it was 6+ hours of my life I will never get back.
At least the kids had a good time.
Although, I must admit I held a pretty lame garage sale. Actually, it was one that would have really irritated me if I wasted my time going to it back in my garage sale days. I really had no business having one because I just hadn't hoarded enough stuff over the years to justify a decent garage sale. So maybe the torture of holding a garage sale was actually the punishment I deserved for having such a pathetic one?
Anyway...I still don't have a shiny new 4 iron waffle maker. Like I said, I made this Chicken and Waffle Sandwich recipe with that trusty old 2 iron waffle maker.
It's beaten up and stained and a chunk of the plastic has broken off. But it continues to make really fantastic homemade waffles.
Plus, it still made waffles excellent enough to win a cooking contest (2015's Maple Lodge Farms Family Recipe Challenge)! But that's also because this is not your typical chicken and waffles recipe. It's a healthier version that uses low-fat chicken breakfast strips (instead of fried chicken) and it's both sweet and savory, with a little zip of spice. It can be served as a breakfast, brunch or even breakfast for dinner. If you are pressed for time, store-bought waffles can be substituted for homemade. It's the perfect breakfast waffle sandwich! For this spicy chicken waffle sandwich, you'll need:
- whole wheat flour
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- white sugar
- milk * I use 1%
- orange *the juice and zest
- vegetable oil
- maple syrup * I use low-sugar
- breakfast chicken strips -original flavor * I used Halal chicken strips, as that was required for the contest, but any chicken or turkey bacon can be substituted
- fresh strawberries
- whipped cream
- strawberry jam * I use reduced sugar
- red chili dip/spread
You can make both the waffles and the chicken bacon in advance. You can refrigerate for a day or two, but if it's going to be longer, I would freeze them, as the waffles stay fresher. If you have leftovers, the sauce, strawberries, chicken and waffles should all be stored in separate containers in the fridge for up to 2 days.
This chicken and waffle sandwich is a very family friendly recipe because you can freeze the leftover waffles (I often just double the recipe), then on a busy weekday morning, pop them in the toaster to warm them. The same goes for the Breakfast chicken strips. And even eat it on the go (just use a little less of the whipped cream mixture)! Or if you are really pressed for time, use store-bought frozen waffles as a substitute!
👪 Serving Size
This recipe makes 4 chicken waffle sandwiches. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
📖 Variations & Substitutions
- Waffles: f you don't have time to make these homemade waffles, then use store-bought waffles
- Chicken Bacon: you can use turkey bacon instead of chicken bacon. You could also replace the chicken bacon with cooked chicken breast strips/fillets
- Jam: you can substitute raspberry or mixed berry
- Spice: if you don't like the spicy element and want to mellow it, then skip the chili dip/spread or us less. Of course, if you like it, then add as much as you like! Or you could use a different hot sauce.
- Low-carb: You can make low-carb by using Chaffles instead of waffles
🎥🍓Video: How to hull strawberries
If you're not sure how to hull a strawberry, then check out this video: How to hull a strawberry.
You'll want to use a waffle maker for this chicken waffle sandwich and preferably a Belgian waffle maker. (affiliate link).This is the one I plan on buying when mine finally dies. However, it will also work with a regular waffle maker. Or simply use store-bought waffles.
I guess I could have gone and bought myself a shiny new waffle maker by now. One day I will...For now, why get more stuff that requires getting rid of other stuff? We all know how that went over last time.
If you're looking for healthy waffle recipes, then give this a try. And if you love waffles, you'll love my Belgian Chocolate Waffles recipe!
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below and leave a comment!
🧇 Healthy Chicken Waffle Sandwich Recipe
- 1 375 gram pkg. Zabiha Halal Breakfast chicken strips -original flavour *Any chicken or turkey bacon can be substituted
- 2 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream preferably light
- ½ cup Strawberry reduced sugar jam raspberry or mixed berry can be substituted
- 2 tablespoon red chili dip/spread
- Cook bacon (Zabiha Halal Breakfast Chicken strips) on stove top until cooked through, as per package directions (about 5 minutes) and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir flours, baking powder, sugar and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and vegetable oil with beaten egg yolk; stir in maple syrup, orange juice and zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir only until blended.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter.
- Pour waffle batter onto hot waffle iron and cook waffles until lightly brown. You will have 8 waffles.
- Once waffles are cool, lightly toast in toaster until desired crispness.
- Sauce for chicken waffles: Mix strawberry jam, whipped cream and chili dip/spread together
- Assemble: Spread strawberry jam mixture on the inside of one waffle, top breakfast chicken strips, then with sliced strawberries. Spread the jam mixture on the inside on another waffle. And place on top of sandwich (jam side down) . Repeat for remaining 3 sandwiches.
🍳More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- PB&J Pancake Breakfast Sandwich
- Healthy Mediterranean Breakfast Burritos
- Healthy Carrot Loaf
- Sheet Pan Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Easy Sheet Pan Huevos Rancheros