I bought my first waffle maker at a garage sale almost 25 years ago, long before Waffle and Chicken Sandwiches were even a thing.
*THIS POST CONTAINS SOME AFFILIATE LINKS (See Disclosure Policy)
The lady that sold it to me for $5.00 said she had received it as a gift for her own wedding 15 years earlier. I am not sure why that particular exchange stands out in my mind- I’ve been to a lot of garage sales and bought a lot of stuff over the years. Maybe it’s because I still have that little waffle iron!
We eat a lot of homemade waffles and as my family grew from 2 to 4 waffle eaters in that 25 year span, I often fantasized about a shiny new 4 iron waffle maker just like this Cuisinart WAF-F15 4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker, Stainless Steel
I used to LOVE going to garage sales, especially in my starving student days. It was partially the thrill of the hunt- never knowing what I would find and the satisfaction of getting a good deal. Plus, I needed a lot of stuff and I needed it cheap.
I no longer need a lot of stuff. In fact, quite the opposite. So, I had my own garage sale about 3 years ago, hoping to get rid of stuff. It was not fun being on the other side.
In fact, it was 6+ hours of my life I will never get back.
At least the kids had a good time.
Although, I must admit I held a pretty lame garage sale. Actually, it was one that would have really irritated me if I wasted my time going to it back in my garage sale days. I really had no business having one because I just hadn’t hoarded enough stuff over the years to justify a decent garage sale.
So maybe the torture of holding a garage sale was actually the punishment I deserved for having such a pathetic one?
Anyway…I still don’t have a shiny new 4 iron waffle maker.
In fact, I made this Chicken and Waffle Sandwich recipe with my trusty old 2 iron waffle maker.
It’s beaten up and stained and a chunk of the plastic has broken off. It even looks kinda gross. But it continues to make really fantastic homemade waffles.
Plus, it still made waffles excellent enough to win this contest (Runner up in 2015’s Maple Lodge Farms Family Recipe Challenge). But that’s also because this is not your typical waffle chicken sandwich. It’s a healthier version that uses low-fat chicken breakfast strips and it’s both sweet and savoury, with a little zip of spice. It can be served as a breakfast, brunch or even dinner. If you are pressed for time, store-bought waffles can be substituted for homemade.
I guess I could have gone and bought myself a shiny new waffle maker by now. One day I will…For now, why get more stuff that requires getting rid of other stuff? We all know how that went over last time.
Strawberry Sunrise Chicken & Waffle Sandwich
- 1 375 gram pkg. Zabiha Halal Breakfast chicken strips -original flavour *Any chicken or turkey bacon can be substituted
- 2 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup whipped cream preferably light
- ½ cup Strawberry reduced sugar jam raspberry or mixed berry can be substituted
- 2 tbsp red chili dip/spread
- Cook Zabiha Halal Breakfast Chicken strips on stove top until cooked through (about 5 minutes) and lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir flours, baking powder, sugar and salt together.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine milk and vegetable oil with beaten egg yolk; stir in maple syrup, orange juice and zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir only until blended.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter.
- Cook on hot waffle iron until lightly brown. You will have 8 waffles.
- Once waffles are cool, lightly toast in toaster until desired crispness.
- Mix strawberry jam, whipped cream and chili dip/spread together
- Assemble: Spread strawberry jam mixture on the inside of one waffle, top breakfast chicken strips, then with sliced strawberries. Spread the jam mixture on the inside on another waffle. And place on top of sandwich (jam side down) . Repeat for remaining 3 sandwiches.