These Tacos in a bag are a fun and easy way to enjoy tacos. We had made these for my daughter's birthday a couple of years ago, at her request. And when I mentioned them to people (assuming everyone already knew about them) I was surprised no one had heard of them! Therefore, I felt a need to share these with the world.
They are a quick meal that's really easy to make and great for birthday parties, game day, Cinco de Mayo celebrations, and Taco Tuesday! (See how to make them WW friendly under variations). They are like eating a taco salad out of a bag!
I was first introduced to this taco in a bag at a friend's game day party and they were a big hit. Also known as "walking tacos" because you can eat them while you are walking, they are also popular at fairs and carnivals.
The best part is no dishes to wash. You eat them straight out of the bag, so no paper plates either. This also makes them great for camping!
Taco in a bag ingredients:
- ground beef
- taco mix
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- bag of tortilla chips * I use Doritos
- sour cream
- green chiles
If I am serving these tacos in a bag for game day or a birthday party, I like to put all the fillings and toppings on a platter (like a deconstructed taco), with a selection of tortilla chips, or make a walking taco bar. That way, everyone can customize their own!
- use a mixture of ground beef and pork
- use ground turkey or chicken
- use canned chicken breast
- use chili instead of ground beef
- make the taco meat over the campfire (and pack along the rest of the fillings and toppings) when you go camping
- use any type of chips, such as cool ranch doritos, nacho cheese or regular taco chips.
- make them WW friendly by using a light tortilla chip. Or if you only use ½ the bag of Dorito tortillas (80 g is still a pretty big portion) and use ground turkey or chicken or canned chicken breast instead of ground beef, this will greatly reduce the WW points.
- Cook ground beef on the stovetop, over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain. Add taco seasoning mix and water (as per package instructions)
- Crush tacos in bag (before cutting open).
- Cut chip bag open across the top of the bag with a pair of scissors.
- Open bag and add cooked taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and cheese.
- Toppings: Add your favorite taco toppings as desired. I like to add salsa, sour cream and hot sauce. Mix together. eat right out of the bag with a fork and enjoy!
These walking tacos are portable so they are great for kids. They have so much fun making their own, customized walking taco, then eating it right out of the bag!
👪 Serving Size
This taco in a bag recipe makes 6 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
Store the taco meat mix separately from the produce and cheese, in airtight containers in the fridge. The taco chips can be stored at room temperature. Good for 2-3 days
- Cook ground beef to an internal minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
- Never leave cooking food unattendedSee more guidelines at USDA.gov
Bag tacos are a favorite meal in our house. This easy walking taco recipe is the perfect party food for summer, camping, football games, taco night and Friday night movies. And I have no doubt they will become a family fave for you too! So, if you're looking for fun ideas for dinner, then give these a try!
And if you are looking for more easy clean-up camping meals, try my Foil dinners for camping!
📋 Tacos in a Bag Recipe
- 6 bags (80 g) tortilla chips * Doritos are what I usually use, but you could use any tortilla chips
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 24 g - pkg taco seasoning mix
- head lettuce leaf lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- 3 whole tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded approximately (I use low-fat)
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- sour cream
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet, on the stovetop, over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add taco seasoning mix and water (as per package instructions)
- Crush tacos in bag (before cutting open)
- Cut taco bag open across the top of the bag
- Open bag and add taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and cheese.
- Add your favorite toppings as desired.
- Mix together. eat right out of the bag with a fork and enjoy!