These Tacos in a bag are a fun and easy way to enjoy tacos.
We had made these for my daughter's birthday a couple of years ago, at her request. And when I mentioned them to people (assuming everyone already knew about them) I was surprised no one had heard of them! Therefore, I felt a need to share these with the world. They are really easy to make and great for birthday parties, game day, Cinco de Mayo celebrations and Taco Tuesday! (See how to make them WW friendly under variations)
I was first introduced to these at a friend's game day party. Also known as "walking tacos" because you can eat them while you are walking, they are also popular at fairs and carnivals. The best part is no dishes to wash! You eat them straight out of the bag, so no paper plates either. This also makes them great for camping!
For this recipe you will need:
- ground beef
- taco mix
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- bag of tortilla chips
- sour cream
If I am serving these tacos in a bag for game day or a birthday party, I like to put all the fillings and toppings on a platter, with a selection of tortilla chips. That way, everyone can customize their own!
- use a mixture of ground beef and pork
- use ground turkey or chicken
- use canned chicken breast
- use chili instead of ground beef
- make the taco meat over the campfire (and pack along the rest of the fillings and toppings) when you go camping
- make them WW friendly by using a light tortilla chip. Or if you only use ½ the bag of Dorito tortillas (80 g is still a pretty big portion) and use ground turkey or chicken or canned chicken breast instead of ground beef, this will bring the recipe down to 7 WW points on blue, from 16!
These walking tacos are portable so they are great for kids. They have so much fun making their own, customized walking taco, then eating it right out of the bag!
These are one of our family's favorite meals. They are perfect for summer, camping and for Friday night movies. And I have no doubt they will become a family fave for you too!
📋 Tacos in a Bag Recipe
- 6 bags (80 g) tortilla chips * Doritos are what I usually use, but you could use any tortilla chips
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 24 g - pkg taco seasoning mix
- head lettuce leaf lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- 3 whole tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded approximately (I use low-fat)
- 1 cup green onions
- sour cream
- Cook ground beef on stovetop, over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add taco seasoning mix and water (as per package instructions)
- Crush tacos in bag (before cutting open)
- Cut taco bag open across the top of the bag
- Open bag and add taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and cheese.
- Add topping as desired.
- Mix together. eat right out of the bag with a fork and enjoy!