Settling on a cooking show, I watched as some bright-eyed and cheery cooks made this delicious and easy salmon patties recipe with canned salmon and I longed to be as awake and chipper as they were. I also wondered how long it would be until I slept through the night again.
Canned salmon recipes
And although I have never been the biggest fan of canned salmon and I was exhausted beyond words, this recipe for salmon patties using canned salmon, looked so good that I actually got up, nursing baby in tow, to search for a pen and paper to write down the recipe. True story. It wasn’t as simple as searching it up on google back then.
I don’t think there is a new parent out there that doesn’t wonder what they have gotten themselves into. Many thoughts skipped across my addled mind in those lonely dark hours, including how much I had taken sleep for granted and if I ever got my sleep back, I would never do that again.
Hope is all you need
Unfortunately, after 2 children that were only 22 months apart, it would be quite a while before I slept through the night and many more years before that was the normal. I am just grateful for the hope that carried me through each day – the hope that tonight just might be the night that I slept.
It is that hope that sustains us; that hope that fuels us parents.
I recall dragging myself into work day after day during those early years and savoring the encouraging words of other sympathetic parents beyond the stage I was at. “There is a light at the end of the tunnel,” they said, “keep going towards the light….” I clung to that belief. Because really, what other choice did I have?
But there is a light at the end of the tunnel
I am happy to report that a few years back I finally reached the end of the tunnel. And now, aside from the many nights I’m cursed with middle-aged insomnia, I sleep. And I never take it for granted. And although many days I look back at the baby/toddler days with tearful nostalgia, I never forget how tired and shitty I felt most of the time.
.…And now I pay it forward. I have become that fellow parent at work that gives false hope to other new parents. Because, I know that is what will carry them through their darkest days in that tunnel.
So, for all the sleep-deprived and/or busy parents out there hoping that tonight is the night, knowing that a quick, economical, easy and healthy dinner is a godsend, this salmon recipe is for you! This is the best canned salmon recipe I know of (even if you’re not a fan of canned salmon) and it’s a great cheap meal option.
Most importantly, I wish you sleep~!
Asian Pan Fried Salmon Patties with Creamy Ginger Lime sauce
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 2 cans salmon 15-ounce, drained, skin and bones removed
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts 220 ml, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Creamy Ginger Lime Sauce:
- ½ cup non-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- additional sesame seeds
- lime wedges
- Add the egg, bread crumbs, water chestnuts, cilantro, green onions , ginger, garlic and drained salmon and mix well. Shape the mixture into 12 patties.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Add 6 patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil to the pan, and cook the rest of the salmon cakes, 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve salmon cakes with the sauce and limes for garnish
- Place yogurt into a small bowl. Add mayonnaise, ginger, garlic, lime juice, sesame seeds, and soy sauce. Whisk until smooth.
- Garnish with additional sesame seeds and lime wedges, if desired.