St. Patrick's Day is coming and if you're wondering what to make, this This Baileys Irish Cream Overnight Baked French Toast Casserole makes a really great breakfast or brunch potluck dish. I'd even eat it for dessert; it's that good!
It may be the Baileys talking but this is the best french toast casserole I've ever had! But Baileys makes everything better, doesn't it?
What I love about overnight baked French toast casserole is that it's so easy! It only takes a few minutes to prep the night before, then pop it in the oven when you get up and you have an amazing breakfast or brunch. However, when I brought it to work, I made it a day ahead, then reheated it.
💭Does cooking alcohol remove alcohol?
The short answer is NO. Cooking does not necessarily remove alcohol. Although much of the alcohol evaporates during the cooking process, it depends on how much you use, the cooking process (when you add the alcohol) and the cooking time. You can read more about cooking and alcohol evaporation HERE.
📖 Variations & Substitutions
Non- alcoholic substitute for Baileys Irish Cream
The fact that some of the alcohol remains could be of significant concern to recovering alcoholics, some parents, and others who have ethical or religious reasons for avoiding alcohol. Baileys Coffee Creamer (affiliate link) is the perfect non-alcoholic substitute for this recipe!
This Baileys French Toast Casserole is the perfect St. Patrick's day breakfast or brunch dish for a potluck. (Non-alcoholic substitute included.) I brought it to a work breakfast potluck and it was well-loved!
🍞Bread for Baileys French Toast
Irish soda bread or thick French bread is the best bread to use for this French toast casserole because you need it to be thick enough to absorb the liquid and not disintegrate. However, you could substitute any type of thick white bread.
🌡️Storing & Reheating
Store: You can store this recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days after making it. You can also make it a couple of days in advance. *If you are making it in advance, I would suggest you bake it in a casserole dish, allow it to cool, then use Glad Press N' Seal to cover it until you are going to serve it (if you don't have a lid for your casserole dish). You can easily transport it like this to wherever you are serving it (this is what I do for work breakfast potlucks)
Reheat: Place in microwave (make sure your casserole dish is microwave safe!) and heat until warmed (about 5 minutes, depending on the power of the microwave). Then add whipped topping and sprinkles.
So, if you're looking for an easy, fun and delicious St. Patrick's Day breakfast or brunch recipe or a fun recipe for any holiday, give this a Baileys Overnight French Toast Casserole a try!
If you love Baileys Irish Cream, check out these 10 Baileys Irish Cream Desserts you need in your life!
📋 Baileys Irish Cream Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 1 loaf Irish soda bread or thick french bread
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- ½ cup Baileys Irish Cream *substitute Baileys coffee creamer Irish Cream (non-alcoholic)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup maple syrup * I use low sugar maple syrup
- powdered sugar
- additional cinnamon
- whipped cream
- green sprinkles (optional)
- Generously spray a casserole dish with non- stick cooking spray. Arrange slices of bread in a 9 X 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices in a casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half cream, Baileys Irish Cream, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup. Then beat with a whisk until blended thoroughly.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the layers. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight (about 8 hours)
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove from refrigerator, leave the foil on and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon and powdered sugar on top, top with dollops of whipped cream and add green sprinkles/sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Serve with additional maple syrup.