If you have been to a potluck in the last 20 years, you have probably had the pleasure of trying Potatoes Romanoff, also known as Funeral Potatoes or Hashbrown Casserole. It's a tasty hashbrown casserole-type dish with hash browns, sour cream, cheese and onions and it was the inspiration behind these Maple Sausage Brunch Bites.
Photo courtesy of Better Living TV
And if you are a little bored with the typical breakfast food or looking for brunch potluck ideas, give these a try. They won the Grand Prize in the Johnsonville Sausage Recipe Contest. They are not only contest winning, they are easy, quick and freeze well. They are also the perfect portable 'on the go' breakfast food.
For this recipe, you'll need the following:
- onion - white
- butter - I use unsalted, but you could use salted if that's all you have
- hashbrowns-you can use the shredded or cubed hashbrowns (though the shredded tend to hold together much better).
- cream of mushroom soup
- sausages - maple syrup are the best tasting!
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
These brunch bites can also be reheated for a quick workday breakfast. And you can cook them in aluminum lined muffin cups for easy clean up (just be sure not to microwave them if you use aluminum lined cups). I highly recommend serving them with fruit and mimosas, of course! Try them with my Raspberry Mimosa Mocktail (it can also be spiked) and you have yourself a perfect, easy, make ahead meal for your Mother's Day brunch or any special brunch.
💭 Top tip
I use shredded hashbrowns because they tend to hold together much better!
💭Make ahead and portable
If you are looking for breakfast potluck ideas, this Potatoes Romanoff inspired Brunch Bites, is the perfect solution! It's make-ahead, portable, finger food that's easy to reheat. We often have breakfast potluck/meetings at work and it's not easy to come up with recipes that meet the above criteria, are easy to reheat and satisfying. So I brought these to one of those potlucks and they were perfect. Because they have eggs, sausage, hashbrowns and cheese all in one little bite, they are the full meal deal!
You can also make them in advance and refrigerate for a day or two or freeze, making them ideal for the busy person. These brunch bites can be frozen for up to 6 months in an airtight container.
👪 Serving size
You can half this recipe or double or triple it. Simply change the number of serving on the recipe card (it's in blue) and the amounts will adjust accordingly!
Looking for other breakfast or brunch potluck ideas? *See even more below the recipe card
And for more award-winning recipes Follow my Award-Winning Food Board on Pinterest
Here's what others are saying:
"I have made these twice now and they are absolutely delicious! I used regular sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and cream of mushroom soup, rather than the low-fat versions."
Did you make this recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!
📋 Maple Sausage Brunch Bites Recipe
- 5 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ⅓ cup Light Sour Cream
- 4 cups Frozen Hashbrowns Defrosted
- 1 ½ cups Light Cheddar Cheese Old/Sharp, Grated
- ⅓ cups Canned Low-Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
- ½ cup Finely Chopped Onion Approximately 1 Small Onion
- 1 375 g pkg Johnsonville Maple Syrup Flavoured Sausages Cooked and Cut into ¼ Inch Pieces
- Cook sausages according to package instructions. Once browned, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop cooked sausage links into ¼ inch circles.
- Cook onion in butter for 2 minutes on high in microwave.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the defrosted hashbrowns, onion cooked in butter, mushroom soup, sour cream, eggs, grated cheddar cheese and sausages.
- Scoop mixture into muffin tins to the top and pack down tightly with spatula (ensure they are packed to the top to make for easier removal).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes in pre-heated oven.
- Remove from oven, let cool for about 3-5 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edge of each muffin cup to loosen the Maple Sausage Brunch Bites.
- Let cool a full 10 minutes, run knife around edges once more, then carefully remove with a spatula and place on plates.
- Serve immediately topped with salsa garnish and with fruit/fruit salad (optional)