If you want a VERY easy ice cream cake recipe, that tastes just like Dairy Queen buster bars, you'll love this one! Quick and easy to make, with layers of ice cream sandwiches, chocolate fudge sauce, vanilla ice cream and chocolate magic shell, this a great dessert that will leave everyone begging for more!
This ice cream sandwich cake recipe is especially popular on hot summer days. I recently served it at a summer BBQ and family gathering this summer and it was a HUGE hit! This recipe was inspired by my Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake (Dairy Queen Copycat) on this site but is a lot quicker and easier to make. It pairs well with so many potluck recipes. We had it for dessert with Slow Cooker Beef on a Bun, Healthy Potato Salad, Dill Deviled Eggs , to name a few.
You only need a few simple ingredients for this buster bar dessert:
- ice cream sandwiches
- chocolate fudge sauce (aka hot fudge sauce) *do not use chocolate sundae sauce/syrup
- unsalted peanuts
- vanilla ice cream
- chocolate magic shell
*see recipe card for quantities.
Line the bottom of a 9X13 inch pan with ice cream bars (you may have to cut some bars to make them fit, depending on what brand of ice cream bar you buy).
Pour fudge sauce over ice cream bars, spreading evenly.
Then sprinkle half the peanuts (¾ cup) over the surface of the fudge.
Scoop the ice cream on top. Smooth the ice cream into a flat layer, sealing in the fudge.
Sprinkle peanuts (remaining ¾ cup) over the layer of vanilla ice cream.
Then drizzle the Magic Shell over the peanuts to secure them into place. *You can swirl the magic shell and ice cream together a little with a butter knife.
Place the pan in the freezer for at least 3 hours before cutting. *I usually leave it in overnight, but after 1-2 hours (once the chocolate coating is set), I'll cover it with plastic wrap or a lid for the remainder of the time it's in the freezer.
Hint: Leave the vanilla ice cream out to soften for a few minutes before spreading it over the fudge layer. It makes for a creamy vanilla ice cream that's easier to spread.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Gluten-free- There are a variety of ice cream sandwiches that are gluten-free and Smuckers hot fudge sauce and chocolate magic shell comply with a gluten-free diet.
- Peanuts - you can use regular or Spanish peanuts (aka red skin peanuts)
- Fudge sauce - you can make your own homemade fudge sauce or use store-bought
- Ice cream sandwiches - you can use any brand. I use Chapman's or Costco brand. I use ice cream sandwiches because they are easier than using layers of ice cream and graham crackers and because and chocolate graham wafers have been discontinued.
- Ice cream - you could mix it up and use chocolate ice cream (or another flavor) instead of vanilla. You could also use homemade ice cream instead of store-bought.
You'll need an 9X13 pan for this buster bar cake. I like to use a glass pan with a lid (affiliate link) because it's super versatile. I can store it in the same container I make it in or take it along to a potluck.
Store this summer treat in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can make it several days or months in advance, as long as you store it in an airtight container.
👪 Serving Size
This Copycat dq buster bars cake recipe makes 12 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You will need additional pans if you are doubling or tripling the recipe.
❔ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Dairy Queen's famous buster bar is an ice cream treat on a stick that has soft serve vanilla ice cream, with a layer of thick fudge and peanuts in the center and is covered in a chocolate shell coating.
What's the difference between a Dilly Bar and a Buster Bar?
Both are Dairy Queen ice cream treats on sticks, but the difference between a Dilly bar and a Buster bar is that the Dilly bar is simply soft serve ice cream in a chocolate shell. It does not have the peanuts or hot fudge in the center like the Buster Bar does.
So if you're looking for a delicious and easy ice cream dessert that's perfect for summer parties, gatherings or birthday celebrations, you'll love this one! It's sure to become your favorite dessert.
Did you make this buster bar dessert recipe? Please RATE THE RECIPE below!~
📋 Buster Bar Ice Cream Cake Recipe
- 8-10 ice cream sandwiches
- 2 litres vanilla ice cream
- 14 ounces hot fudge sauce
- 1 ½ cups unsalted peanuts
- 15 ounces -bottle Magic Shell chocolate coating (2 bottles)
- Set the ice cream out to soften. Line the bottom of a 9X13 pan with ice cream bars.
- Pour the hot fudge chocolate sauce over the ice cream layer. Spread it out in a thin layer over the ice cream.
- Then sprinkle half the peanuts over the surface of the fudge.
- Scoop the ice cream on top. Use the scooper (or a stiff spatula) to smash the ice cream into a flat layer.vPress gently into a smooth layer, sealing in the fudge.
- Sprinkle the remaining peanuts over the ice cream layer.
- Then drizzle both bottles of Magic Shell over the peanuts and ice cream.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Then pull it out, cover with plastic wrap or lid and return to freezer for at least another hour or until frozen solid, before cutting, *I freeze overnight.