If you are looking for fun and healthy breakfast ideas for kids, this Strawberry Gingerbread Pancake Cupcakes Recipe (a cupcake pancake hybrid) takes a boring old pancake and morphs it into a delicious and healthy breakfast cupcake which is by far, way more FUN! Even better, it's easy and quick to make.
Although I love cupcake pancakes and so does my whole family, I created this recipe with kids in mind. It's hard to come up with fun breakfast ideas for kids that are also healthy and ideal for busy mornings. I'm happy to report these healthy cupcakes for kids recipe was a big hit! They were inspired by my Gingerbread Pancakes (without molasses)
You will need the following simple ingredients:
- whole wheat flour
- cook and serve butterscotch pudding* do NOT use instant pudding - it will not work
- baking soda
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- ground ginger
- large egg beaten
- cups milk
- canola oil
- butter extract
- Strawberry Greek yogurt (non-fat) 500 g (about a container)
- whole fresh strawberries
- low sugar maple syrup (optiona
*see recipe card for quantities
💭 Make them portable!
And if you are in need of a healthy breakfast on the go, something you can send in the lunch box to school with the kids (or take yourself), then this cupcake for breakfast (aka pancake cupcake recipe) is for you. You can pack the yogurt and syrup in separate containers or just skip it all together (it's great with or without)!
🥞How to make Pancake Cupcakes
Pancake cupcakes are made the same way you make cupcakes, except you use a pancake batter. You simply pour the batter ⅔ full, into lined muffin tins, and bake for 20 minutes.
You can also make these into mini pancake cupcakes using a mini muffin tin! Make 12 regular sized pupcakes, then use the remaining batter to make 6 little pancake muffins or make up to 40 minis. Either way, they are fun and delicious!
- Greek yogurt: You could also use different flavors of Greek yogurt and another fruit (i.e. blueberry)
- Pudding: You could also skip the ginger and use a different flavor of cook and serve pudding (i.e. chocolate or vanilla)
- Butter extract: you can substitute vanilla extract
- Toppings: you can add your favorite pancake toppings instead of Greek yogurt
I love to serve with these Gingerbread cupcake pancakes with turkey bacon or any of these recipes:
You will need a mixing bowl, an electric mixer, a muffin tin, and cupcake liners.
👪 SERVING SIZE
This easy breakfast recipe makes 15 cupcakes. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You can also use a mini muffin pan and get about 40 mini pancake muffins.
🌡️Storing and Freezing
These can be stored in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
They can be frozen (without Greek yogurt topping) in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. They freeze well and are great for a last minute breakfast!
These pancake cupcakes are a nice change from traditional pancakes and the perfect breakfast for weekday mornings!
📋Strawberry Gingerbread Pancake Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ 170 g box cook and serve butterscotch pudding * do NOT use instant pudding - it will not work
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 ⅔ cups milk
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon butter flavor/extract
- 2 cups Strawberry Greek yogurt (non-fat) 500 g (about a container)
- 15 whole fresh strawberries
- low sugar maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F/ 176 degrees C. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients (wet ingredients and dry ingredients), except Greek yogurt, together.
- Pour batter ⅔ full into muffin tin lined with paper muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then continuing cooling on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Fit pastry bag with 1M tip and fill to ½ full with greek yogurt. ***See video in notes, if you're not sure how to pipe with a 1M tip. And use the 2nd technique - the 'rose swirl'.
- Pipe greek yogurt onto pupcakes (if you don't have a pastry bag, cut a hold in the end of zip lock and swirl it on)
- Garnish with strawberry and serve with low sugar maple syrup (optional)