If you are looking for fun and healthy breakfast ideas for kids, thes Strawberry Gingerbread Pancake Cupcakes (a cupcake pancake hybrid) takes a boring old pancake and morphs it into a delicious and healthy breakfast cupcake which is by far, way more FUN! Even better, it's easy and quick to make.
Although I love these pupcakes, I created this recipe with kids in mind. It's hard to come up with fun breakfast ideas for kids that are also healthy. I'm happy to report it was a success!
💭 Make them portable!
And if you are in need of a healthy breakfast on the go, something you can send in the lunch box to school with the kids (or take yourself), then this cupcake for breakfast (aka pancake cupcake recipe) is for you. You can pack the yogurt and syrup in separate containers or just skip it all together (it's great with or without)!
🥞How to make Pancake Cupcakes
Pancake cupcakes are made the same way you make cupcakes, except you use a pancake batter. You simply pour the batter ⅔ full, into lined muffin tins, and bake for 20 minutes.
You can also make these into mini pancake cupcakes! Make 12 regular sized pupcakes, then use the remaining batter to make 6 minis or make up to 40 minis. Either way, they are fun and delicious!
- You could also use another flavor of Greek yogurt and another fruit (i.e. blueberry)
- You could also skip the ginger and use a different flavor of cook and serve pudding (i.e. chocolate or vanilla)
🌡️Storing and Freezing
These can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and frozen (without Greek yogurt topping) for up to 3 months. They freeze well and are great for a last minute breakfast!
Happy baking and eating!
📋Strawberry Gingerbread Pancake Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ 170 g box cook and serve butterscotch pudding * do NOT use instant pudding - it will not work
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 ⅔ cups milk
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon butter flavor/extract
- 2 cups Strawberry Greek yogurt (non-fat) 500 g (about a container)
- 15 whole fresh strawberries
- low sugar maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all ingredient (except greek yogurt ) together.
- Pour batter ⅔ full into muffin tin lined with paper cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes.Cool.
- Fit pastry bag with 1M tip and fill to ½ full with greek yogurt. ***See video in notes, if you're not sure how to pipe with a 1M tip. And use the 2nd technique - the 'rose swirl'.
- Pipe greek yogurt onto pupcakes (if you don't have a pastry bag, cut a hold in the end of zip lock and swirl it on)
- Garnish with strawberry and serve with low sugar maple syrup (optional)
Butter extract makes a great substitute for butter flavor in baking. You get the rich taste of the butter, without the fat and calories (affiliate link):