This Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream is an easy, no churn ice cream recipe made with Saskatoon berry pie filling/sauce. With coconut and cinnamon flavors in the mix, it's a unique and delicious cool treat that's perfect for a hot summer day and for making the most of your Saskatoon berries!
This Saskatoon Ice Cream is especially popular during Saskatoon berry season, which can run anywhere from beginning of July to second week in August (often at the height in late July), depending where you live and on the weather. When Saskatoon berries are ripe and ready for picking can vary season to season as well.
This summer Saskatoon recipe was inspired by my pure love for Saskatoon berries! You can check out more Saskatoon Berry Recipes here (and at the bottom of this post).
This was my second attempt at this recipe and I nailed it! Initially I had tried to make it easier by using uncooked fresh berries, but unfortunately it didn't work (the texture wasn't right). I discovered that using my Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling and Sauce was the perfect solution because the berries soften up during the cooking process, making them ideal for this ice cream!
This homemade Saskatoon Berry ice cream recipe is easy to make without an ice cream machine and only a few ingredients. Whipped cream and sweetened condensed milk makes a great ice cream base for no churn ice cream!
- sweetened condensed milk
- whipping cream (aka heavy cream)
- Saskatoon berry pie fill and sauce
- coconut extract (affiliate link)
- vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
Make Saskatoon berry pie filling/sauce as per directions. Cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat whipping cream to stiff peaks.
Add Saskatoon berry sauce/pie filling, vanilla and coconut extracts, condensed milk and cinnamon to whipped cream.
Stir cream mixture only until combined.
Pour into a container ( I like to use a 9X5 loaf container) but you could use any container.
Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling - you could use a store-bought Saskatoon berry pie filling (our local Co op grocery store sells one) or blueberry pie filling instead
- Dairy-free -Use a dairy-free whipping cream ( *I recommend using Nutri-whip because I know it freezes well - I use it in my Dairy-free Orange Creamsicle Pie as well) AND make your own vegan condensed milk !
- Coconut extract- If you have trouble getting your hands on coconut extract, add ⅓ cup of shredded coconut (if you like that texture)
You don't need an ice cream maker for this homemade ice cream recipe, but you will need an electric mixer (affiliate link).
Store this Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream in an airtight container for up to 3 months. If you are storing less than a few days, you can keep it in the loaf pan, covered in plastic wrap (I use Glad press n' seal, as it's thicker and gives a better seal than saran wrap). However, if you storing it any longer, it should be moved to an airtight container.
👪 Serving Size
This Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream recipe makes 10 servings. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust. You'll just need additional containers for freezing if you make more and a smaller container if you make less.
When you're making Saskatoon berry pie filling, make a double batch and freeze 2 cups to make this ice cream in the future. The filling freezes well.
So if you are looking for an ice cream with a delicious Saskatoon flavor, then give this Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream a try!
Did you make LOVE homemade Saskatoon ice cream? If so, please leave a 5 star rating and a comment below!
MORE RECIPES! To see full recipe menu, click HERE!
📋Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream Recipe
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups Saskatoon berry pie filling and sauce https://foodmeanderings.com/saskatoon-berry-pie-filling-and-sauce/
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Make Saskatoon berry pie filling/sauce as per directions. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream to stiff peaks.
- Add Saskatoon berry sauce, vanilla and coconut extracts, condensed milk and cinnamon to whipped cream.
- Stir only until combined.
- Pour into a container ( I like to use a 9X5 loaf container) but you could use any container.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
What a great idea. I love doubling up on the meal prep to make a multitude of dishes. Now I just need to find some Saskatoons! They should be ready for picking soon I think.
I love this because first I can make both pie and ice cream from one recipe! I can't wait to get some Saskatoon berries!
Ice cream is my favourite summer treat. What a delicious seasonal flavour this is! Love that this is no churn as well.
Wonderful idea! I love saskatoons, and I think their fruity/almondy flavour is PERFECT for ice cream! Now, to see if my rather small local saskatoon patch has enough fruit this year!
wow i can't believe it ice cream is so easy to make and how refreshing it was. We have a heatwave all week and i've been living on this treat!!
Will be sharing this delicious ice cream recipe with my mother who has a giant saskatoon berry bush in her backyard. Such a lovely end of summer treat.