These Saskatoon berry muffins are easy to make and a great way to enjoy Saskatoon berry season! Brown sugar, cinnamon and coconut milk enhance the flavor, also making them naturally dairy-free.
These Saskatoon muffins were inspired by the flavors in my Saskatoon Berry Oatmeal Cookies and also by my daughter’s lactose intolerance. I wanted to make her a Saskatoon berry recipe she could really enjoy (with abandon) and not have to worry about taking Lactaid. These muffins make a great breakfast, snack or dessert!
I started working on this recipe last year, but it wasn’t quite right and then I ran out of Saskatoon berries. However, now I have perfected it!
You will need the following ingredients for these Saskatoon berry muffins:
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- coconut milk I use light
- Saskatoon berries (Juneberries)
- lemon zest (optional)
- sparkling sugar(optional)
*See recipe card for quantities.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil and coconut milk.
Add Saskatoon berries to dry ingredients.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix just until moistened.
Spoon muffin batter into paper lined muffin tins
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean and muffins are lightly browned.
Sprinkle with lemon zest and sparkling sugar, dividing ingredients evenly between muffins, if desired. *The lemon zest really balances the sweet muffin and the sparkling sugar makes it look sparkly and inviting!
📖Variations & Substitutions
- Saskatoon berries -you can use fresh Saskatoon berries or frozen Sasakatoons. *If you use frozen berries, make sure to defrost them and drain off excess liquid before you measure! Alternatively, you could use blueberries and turn these into blueberry muffins.
- WW friendly- If you want to make these Saskatoon berry muffins WW friendly, use apple sauce in place of the oil and reduce the sugar to ⅔ cup. You can also use a sugar substitute (monk fruit is 1:1 )
- Lemon zest - alternatively, you could bake the lemon zest right into the muffin. Just add it when you add the Saskatoon berries to the dry ingredients.
You will need a muffin tin (affiliate link) and a large mixing bowl and mixing spoon for this Saskatoon recipe .
Store Saskatoon muffins in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 4 days. They freeze well and can be frozen for up to 3 months.
👪 Serving Size
This muffin recipe makes 24 muffins. However, you can half, double or triple the recipe by clicking on the blue serving number and selecting the number of servings you'd like. The ingredient quantities will automatically adjust.
Did you LOVE this Saskatoon berry muffins recipe? If so, please leave a 5 star rating and comment below!
These Saskatoon berry muffins are not only quick and easy to make, they are healthy, delicious and naturally dairy-free! They are a great way to incorporate this healthy berry into your baking!
And if you love Saskatoons and have lots of berries, check out my other Saskatoon berry recipes at the bottom of the recipe card!
📋 Saskatoon Berry Muffin Recipe
- 2 ⅓ cups flour
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 14 oz -can of coconut milk (I use light) 400 ml
- 1 ⅔ cups Saskatoon berries *also know as Juneberries or Service berries
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon Sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in bowl.
- Stir in Saskatoons.
- In separate bowl, mix eggs, oil and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix just until moistened.
- Spoon muffin batter into paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean and the tops of the muffins are lightly browned.
- Sprinkle lemon zest and sparkling sugar on muffins, dividing evenly between all muffins.
📋More Saskatoon Berry Recipes
- Saskatoon Berry Pie Filling and Sauce
- Saskatoon Berry Loaf with Brown Butter Glaze
- Healthy Saskatoon Berry Pancakes
- The 10 BEST Saskatoon Berry Recipes
- Saskatoon Berry Ice Cream (no churn)
- No Bake Saskatoon Berry Cheesecake in a Jar
- Saskatoon Berry Tiramisu Dessert Shooters
- Saskatoon Berry Dessert Perogies