I couldn't resist doing another post this week because I love fall (aside from making school lunches) and wanted to share a delicious fall dessert recipe.
Fall is just such a cozy time of year and apple is one of the most comforting of all the fall flavors. That was my inspiration for these Award-Winning Toffee Apple Pie Cookies.
These apple cookies embody the essence of autumn; they are crisp, but make you feel all warm inside. The lemon adds the perfect balance of tart to the sweetness of the apple pie and the toffee, well, the toffee makes them sing! If you are looking for fall baking ideas, look no further!
Apple Pie Cookies
These award-winning Apple Pie Cookies combine apple pie and toffee flavors with a fresh lemon glaze. But it's the whipped cream that's my secret weapon in this easy apple cookies recipe. I always use whipped cream in my apple pie so I thought I'd give it a try in these easy apple pie cookies. Well, it really worked! In fact, it worked so well that these cookies took the Grand Prize in last year's Home Baking Cookie Category at "Canada’s Baking and Sweets Show 2015". A unique and tasty dessert recipe that's the perfect way to use up those apples.
Toffee Apple Pie Cookies
So, if you're looking for an award-winning cookie that captures the taste of fall in a delicious and unique way, give these Toffee Apple Pie Cookies a try!
Happy fall baking!
If you LOVE apple pie, then give my Deluxe Apple Pie (award-winning) a try!
My Amazon Recommendations (affiliate links)
Award-winning Toffee Apple Pie Cookies
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and finely diced about 1 cup
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup whipped cream not whipping cream, it has to be whipped- you can use the spray can of 'real whipped cream'
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup toffee bits
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
Fresh Lemon glaze:
- 2 cups powdered/icing sugar
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray cookie sheets with non -stick cooking spray.
- Mix cinnamon, ¼ cup of the brown sugar and white granulated sugar together. Set aside.
- Cook apples in butter in microwave on high for 1 minute. Combine with sugar and cinnamon mixture until coated.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat cream cheese and remaining ½ cup brown sugar together until smooth, then add apple sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice, vanilla and whipped cream and milk. Beat for 30 seconds longer. Add egg and mix until incorporated.
- Gradually add half the flour mixture, then fold in chopped pecans, toffee bits and apple/sugar mixture. Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Drop dough onto prepared pans with cookie scoop (about 1 tbsp sized).
- Bake in prepared oven for 20 minutes, or until bottoms are browned (these cookies will not brown on top like typical cookies). Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooking rack and let cool for another 5 minutes.
Glaze: Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together. Glaze should be thick, yet pourable. (Add more or less sugar or lemon juice to achieve desired consistency).
- Once cookies are cooled, drizzle glaze over cookies using a spoon (or put glaze in a ziplock bag and snip off a small corner then drizzle.)